A question for women runners (Read 1793 times)

Cowgirl84

I've recently taken up training for a marathon, and I'm looking for all the best clothing to get me there comfortable and dry. I absolutely love nike dri-fit clothing. However, I want to find a brand of panties that will stay in place and work the same way as the dri-fit material. Please help!!!! Thank You!!!!!
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am not a woman...but... Run commando. I do. The liner is more than enough.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a drawer full of panties that wicked fine...but seams are always a problem...after about a dozen different pairs I gave up trying to find the perfect running-compatible panty. Unless they are made with reverse seams and designed for running they always lead to raw spots on my ass cheeks. Only thing that works for me is going commando (as Trent suggested) with a pair of compression shorts, or running shorts/skirts with built-in liners.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

#artbydmcbride

Barely There brand tag-free, seamless panties work great for me. Soft microfiber fabric stays in place and wicks away sweat.

Runners run

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

I wear an Under Armour sort of thing called Flexees that I get from JC Penney. I like them better than the actual Under Armour. They don't move at all, even in a long race and they breathe really well. I use "Sports Wax" around the leg line to stop chafing...
            March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)

Hawt and sexy

I thought panties were for grannies. When I started up running again, I tried wicking underwear. About two months into the process, I removed my last pair of sweat soaked panties after a run. Ever since then, commando is best. I wear skirt, and the built in spankies wick better than any panty I found. I used to start a commando running support thread at CR every now and then. If you like, and can do that here. Save your cash for pretty panties to get laid in, the wicking panies just seem to stay wet on me, my guess is because they were not exposed to air. I know some will argue that wet panties are not a bad thing, but sweaty panties that feel like wet swimsuit gross me out anymore. Just find a skirt/short with a good wicking liner, and you should be fine commando. If you must wear panties, thongs stay in place and you can find the wicking ones at running stores and sporting goods stores. Just bodyglide the areas you do not want to chafe.

I'm touching your pants.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Save your cash for pretty panties to get laid in.
                Wise words.

TRIing to beat the heat!

Panties (even wicking ones) + running = no go for me! It's more or less a seam issue and this is especially critical for long runs (such as you will encounter in your marathon training). If you are a Nike fan, give their Tempo track shorts a try. They have a built in liner with reverse seems. I have never, ever chaffed in them. I hate the waistband, but the shorts work like a charm in general. If you are open to trying any brand of clothing, then just make sure to go for something that already has a built-in liner. I'm a HUGE fan of runningskirt.com's running skirts. They have a built in brief (aka spankie) and most other running skirts on the market also have built-in briefs. I think that once you try something that takes care of the underwear issue for you, you won't look back. I wear shorts with built-ins now for EVERYTHING... for all of my gym training sessions... anything and everything that I do athletically.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

I wear shorts and skirts with liners. The only time I wear panties is with my tights which seem to chaf otherwise. I agree about peeling off the wet panties but it is better than being chaffed.
                      I'm glad I'm not the only one with a sweaty hot a*ss. My two biggest sweat areas are my head and my a*ss. And, I agree, wet undies are disgusting, no matter how they get wet. lol

- Anya

Non ducor, duco.

I never even thought to run in panties, but then again, I forget them a lot. My concern is what to do with some of my shorts. It's like they have a mind of their own. One day, they are happy sitting on my ass, the next day, they are riding up my crack. What to do?
                          Unless they are made with reverse seams and designed for running they always lead to raw spots on my ass cheeks.
                          I'm not woman either, and since I have been married for 24 years, it pretty obvious that I'm no longer much of an authority on women's panties any more (oh I long for those good ole days)....... BUT - if you need them with a reverse seam, then why don't you consider wearing them in side out.........i know this is NOT the same thing, but I have a few pairs of socks that have seams and when i put them on in side out, it solves the problem..

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

I never even thought to run in panties, but then again, I forget them a lot. My concern is what to do with some of my shorts. It's like they have a mind of their own. One day, they are happy sitting on my ass, the next day, they are riding up my crack. What to do?
                            You need a hand with that?

Runners run

Scout7

You need a hand with that?
                              That's what she said.
                                The only time I wear panties is with my tights which seem to chaf otherwise. I agree about peeling off the wet panties but it is better than being chaffed.
                                In so many ways, this thread does not disappoint.