Larry Robinson 10 Miler - a nice race with a surprise at the halfway point (Read 588 times)

After the Manchester Marathon, I was very glad that I ran into Jessica from the Good Times Series in the Athletes Village. I got to thank her for her support during the last mile of the race. She had a friend in tow, but failed to introduce her in violation of all Good Times policies and procedures.* As I got ready to head home, I think it was Jessica that asked if I would be racing next weekend. Me: No. (I turned and started walking toward the Jeep) Jess' friend: Larry Robinson 10 Miler next Sunday in Andover! Me: NO! I'm burning my shoes tonight, I'm never running again! I think it was Tuesday that I picked up the book for my training plan, and found forty minute runs on Tuesday and Thursday and a ten miler on Sunday. Huh? Then a fifteen miler next Sunday, and a twenty miler on the following Sunday. (Those last two rate a double "huh?") As long as I was going to run ten miles anyway, might as well be sociable and support a good cause. It was pretty chilly as I left the house, so I stopped to pick up a $2 pair of gloves at Walgreens. That turned out to be a good move. I filled out an entry form and joined the healthy line for walkin registration. While waiting to register, I heard an "emergency" announcement. They were running out of safety pins and asking runners to take only one, and turn in extras if they had four. That was a new one on me. Shortly after, they announced that the number wasn't important, it's the timing chip that matters. I managed to scrounge up one safety pin from the floor of the Jeep, so I was able to hang the number on the front of my shirt. Technically it didn't matter, but it just wouldn't feel right without it. Getting my watch ready for the start, I somehow managed to clear the 6:00/1:00 run/walk intervals I have programmed. The watch isn't all that intuitive, and my efforts to reprogram it fell short before the gun. I just watched the running time and pulled over as scheduled. I spent a couple of walk breaks trying to get it reprogrammed before I gave up. I passed Jessica and her anonymous friend a couple of miles in, and they returned the favor during my next walk break. She made sure to give me a ration of crap (passing us once isn't enough?) when I re-passed them, and that was the last I saw of them. I came upon George the 71 year old marvel somewhere near the halfway point, and chatted briefly with him. Shortly after, I heard "are you on RunningAhead?" I turned and said yes, and introduced myself to SeeEricaRun with a slightly confused look on my face. Erica explained that my Loco shoes had given me away. Good thing I didn't burn 'em. We were running a pretty comparable pace, so we chatted away until my walk breaks. We just picked up chatting again when I caught up. It definitely helped the miles go quickly (at least for me anyway) and I even decided to scrap my walk breaks at about the eight mile mark (for the first time in years). Running is generally a very solitary exercise for me, and it was a really nice change of pace to have a running companion. As if the internet experience of RA wasn't enough, it can also lead to great real-life experiences as well. It was even better when Erica mentioned that she could probably walk the last mile and still earn a PR. I can't imagine a more pleasant ten mile recovery run, and look forward to my next real world RA meetup. * I forgot to give Jessica a ration of crap for this egregious slight, but I will be sure to do so the next time I see her

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Wahooo --- another RA meet up Smile Sounds like a nice race !
      2009: BQ?
        sounds like a good time Smile
        mikeymike

Nice job--a week after a marathon. Pretty sure I couldn't have done that. I ran this race a couple of times a few years ago. I think they used to have it in December, or maybe we just got an early snowstorm one of the years because I definitely remember running it in the snow one time. It's a nice little race.

Runners run

sounds like a really fun race...I'm glad you didn't burn your shoes. Clowning around I'm starting to get jealous of all of these RA meet ups.

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As if the internet experience of RA wasn't enough, it can also lead to great real-life experiences as well. It was even better when Erica mentioned that she could probably walk the last mile and still earn a PR. I can't imagine a more pleasant ten mile recovery run, and look forward to my next real world RA meetup.
              That is REALLY cool! I keep wondering if I'll ever run a race and discover a fellow RAer right under my nose! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Awsome!!! Another meeting.... and a nice race to boot.
                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                  Nice job--a week after a marathon. Pretty sure I couldn't have done that.
                  This is probably true, and there's a good reason for that. I remember your Hartford report very well, and there is no comparison between your race and mine. I bow down to your Kenyanness.
                  I ran this race a couple of times a few years ago. I think they used to have it in December, or maybe we just got an early snowstorm one of the years because I definitely remember running it in the snow one time. It's a nice little race.
                  It is a nice little race, with 220 5K runners and 413 ten milers this year. With the exception of the humorous safety pin crisis (which the RD took full responsibility for in his announcement), it was really well organized from start to finish. They had volunteers directing arriving vehicles to parking, which becomes more and more important as the start time approaches and traffic (and accompanying stress levels) increase. The volunteers on the course were great, it looked like adults supervising some really nice high school kids at the water stations. The food after was great, there's nothing like chicken soup or minestrone to warm you up and recharge you. It's a nice course, pretty flat for around here (you have to expect at least some "rollers', this is New England after all). It was my first at the ten mile distance, and the first time I've seen digital time displays at EVERY mile mark. Talk about spoiled, that is just great stuff. A good race becomes a great race when you know your race fee supports the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. It doesn't get much better than that. I would certainly recommend it highly for next year, two thumbs way up. Smile

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Ha! Somehow I missed this post - I meant to write one myself, but I'm terrible at getting around to these things. I was so happy you were there - after having them run out of small shirts (at least I can use the medium as a tent), accidentally overdressing (and overheating) because I didn't have time to get back to my car (too busy making a bathroom sprint and scrounging a safety pin from other runners), fun nausea around mile 3 and those ungodly uphills (must learn to run uphill...), I was feeling quite sorry for myself and having a pretty awful time until I ran into you (must learn to have better attitude...)! If I ever make it out to Good Times, I definitely owe you a drink for dragging my sorry, sulky butt through the second half of that race. What is it with Massachusetts races that they don't like to use starting mats? (Must learn to get to start on time...) I still can't figure out how you managed that race so gracefully a week after running a marathon.