Why is diet Coke addicting? (Read 2157 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Everybody talks about it like it is. Is it? Why?

Jazz hands!

Caffeine? MTA: I think, since it's diet, people tend to drink more of it. Most people don't really use regular coke for their daily caffeine habits, but since Diet Coke is good for you not bad for you has no calories people drink it lots.
      run run run AHHHHHH run run run
        Possibly because of the artificial sweetner? Seems like I read that whether it be aspartame, or Sucralose, they stimulate hormone insulin and thus make you crave it more, and worse yet, your body simply does not know what to do with chemical sweetners, so it stores it in your body for use later on....Confused Not really sure that this is truth, but since we know you have an opinion about this Trent... (Wink) what do you say?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Possibly because of the artificial sweetner? Seems like I read that whether it be aspartame, or Sucralose, they stimulate hormone insulin and thus make you crave it more, and worse yet, your body simply does not know what to do with chemical sweetners, so it stores it in your body for use later on....Confused Not really sure that this is truth, but since we know you have an opinion about this Trent... (Wink) what do you say?
          I seem to recall that most diabetics can tolerate Sucralose pretty well, but may have an insulin response to Aspartame. So that might explain the Diet Coke thing for anyone, since it contains Aspartame. Most of the diabetics I know (type 1 and 2) will drink Coke Zero (with Sucralose) or Diet Rite (also Sucralose, but no caffeine) if there is a choice.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

I'll go with the caffeine theory

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I asked this very question to a friend last weekend who said she was addicted. She said it was the caffeine.

A Saucy Wench

I asked this very question to a friend last weekend who said she was addicted. She said it was the caffeine.
                I think all artificial sweeteners can cause a temporary sugar craving as Cheffy has said. But I doubt that is truly addicting the way carbohydrates can be. I have gone through stages in my life where I drank caffeine free diet coke regularly and have had cravings for it after I quit, but I think they were more "taste cravings" than an actual addiction. Caffeine in all forms is addicting but no reason why diet coke would be any more addicting than regular coke and you would think one would be able to switch to coffee. In reality I think it is a combination of habit and taste. If you are not used to water or as many people say "dont like water" or just want something different and you are out and about it is everywhere and easy to get.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Everybody talks about it like it is. Is it? Why?
                  It's the cocaine, man. No? BTW, you know what's really REALLY funny to me about Diet Coke? It's all the rage. Yum yum yum. People barely remember the "New Coke" debacle. But when new coke came out, we all hated it. Another drink was introduced that same summer (1985, I think). It was called... Diet Coke. (edited to add: that previous sentence is not at all true, but I'll leave it there or the next post won't make sense) New Coke, which we all "hated" was based on one of the recipes for Diet Coke. But we loooooove Diet Coke. 20+ years later, they finally based a diet soda on the coke classic recipe. That's where we got Coke Zero from. As for me, I like Diet Coke way better than Coke Zero, but I like Diet Pepsi better than both. And Dos Equis better than all of that.

Diet Coke came out in 1982. New Coke came out in 1985.

Amy

xor

Yes, you are right. I keep getting that part of the story backwards. New Coke was based on one of the Diet Coke recipes, not vice versa. My brain does not seem to want to get that right. Similar thing, though. We all love Diet Coke and we all hated New Coke. Had they launched it differently instead of slicing their own heads off with a chainsaw, maybe we would have liked it more.

We hated having fewer choices. New Coke always did well in taste tests.

Amy

Ojo

I guess for me it gives me something to do besides eating -- I just need to have something to do with my hands. Sounds stupid but as an ex-smoker (11 years this February) it keeps me busy. I really wish I liked other beverages but I don't. I know the caffeine is also a factor but it isn't like the caffeine keeps me awake as I can have a DC before bed with no effect. I did try to quit a few months ago but I started snacking more and gaining weight would really make me unhappy.

Sara

MM #2929

Dave

In a 2008 study, researchers linked drinking just one diet soda a day with metabolic syndrome — the collection of symptoms including belly fat that puts you at high risk of heart disease. Researchers aren't sure if it's an ingredient in diet soda or the drinkers' eating habits that caused the association.
                            Maybe that's why I can't lose my belly fat. Or I should run more miles.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

In reality I think it is a combination of habit and taste. If you are not used to water or as many people say "dont like water" or just want something different and you are out and about it is everywhere and easy to get.
                              This is where my opinion lies on the subject. I generally stick to water, but am getting sick of it and, in turn, am finding myself a bit thirstier than usual. I have a Diet Coke once a week, and it is when I am really thirsty it tastes best...maybe people are "addicted" because that is what they drink when they experience thirst? I have no idea. Honestly, I don't care for it much...I just like something fizzy with my Mexican food if I am not having a margarita.
                                Sounds stupid but as an ex-smoker (11 years this February) it keeps me busy.
                                hi-jack... CONGRATS! (5 year Ex-Smoker here, smoked for 15 years)