Hydration Belts (Read 805 times)

ud32

Narowed my choices down to two - anyone have an opinion on either of these ? http://www.golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5914&s=2 http://www.amphipod.com/320/320.html
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have that exact Amphipod belt. LOVE it. The pocket is kind of strechy and holds a LOT more than one would expect. I can easily fit my cell phone and inhaler in there and because the pocket is stretchy it holds them down and keeps them from smacking around and making a ton of noise.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I also have the amphipod belt. I was really worried about the annoyance of a belt bouncing around. I have to say I don't even notice it when I have it on. I also got a small attachment that holds a few extra things and is easier to get to mid run. I put my sports beans or shot blocks in there. I never do a long run without it!

Otium cum dignitate

I got a gift certificate to runningwarehouse.com and they don't carry the single bottle Amphipod Full Tilt. They do have the Amphipod Profile Lite, though. Does anyone have experience with this model?
            Sorry Stephen, I don't have the profile lite. Can't help you on that one... I also have the Amphipod Full Tilt. I like it a lot for my long runs. It doesn't bounce, and the pouch will hold whatever you need it to hold. The only problem I had with my Amphipod was with the valve on the bottle. It stopped functioning about 8 months after I got it. It's probably due to my own abuse of it though... I dropped it more than once, and I'm pretty rough opening and shutting it. The good news was that the valve stopped working to let fluid out - so, all I do now is unscrew the cap, which I like better anyway.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I'm gonna recommend this: http://www.rei.com/product/733157 You don't have to fill it. Wide straps & cinch system to minimize bounce. Room to hold stuff if you need. But of your two, I like the amphipod better, though the name is misleading as the bottle does not appear to fit in a tilt position.
              xor

I hate hate HATE my amphipod, but let's be clear on the product. The amphipods with the little bottles (like a fuel belt) are fine. I hate the big bottles. The threading on the lid gets screwed up way too easily and then it leaks. I have two bottles which gorked out on their 2nd or 3rd use. And they are freaking expensive to last only 2-3x. I guess others aren't having this problem, but I will never buy another amphipod big bottle. As for all the styles... little fuel belt-like bottles, one bottle on a belt, handheld, camelbak... I've tried them all. My favorite by far is a handheld bottle. Since I won't use the amphipod, I've settled on those Nathan and Ultimate Direction products that show up at all the marathon expos. They work great.

ud32

Intersting feedback - will see whqt others have to sday and then make a purchase this week and see how things work out. Never used a hydration belt before - always just hide bottle on my route but that is time consuming. I am hoping I like it.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm gonna recommend this: http://www.rei.com/product/733157 You don't have to fill it. Wide straps & cinch system to minimize bounce. Room to hold stuff if you need.
                    I had that...switched to the Amphipod because the Camelbak was just too much of a pain to deal with...hard to clean, hard to fill, tube drove me nuts. I just throw the Amphipod bottles in the dishwasher.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

invisible

I've been using a Flash-Flo for about ten years. It holds 45 ounces of liquid and has lots of storage room.http://www.archronicles.com/CamelBak-FlashFlo.asp
                      90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                        I've tried a few different bottles. My comments/suggestions: *I've found that ones like the "GoLite" you are looking at bounce around too much for me. *I've not tried one like the "Amphipod", but It looks to me like it would rely too much on the bottle sealing well - which I do not think would happen all the time. I would not like to reach for my bottle and find it half empty. *I am using a 4 bottle Fuelbelt, and am very happy with it. The multiple bottles are easy to fill, do not bounce around too much, and are easy to drink from. If I replace it then it will be with a 6 bottle Fuelbelt as I'd like a bit more liquid for my long runs.

Running - cheaper than therapy

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I hate hate HATE my amphipod, but let's be clear on the product. The amphipods with the little bottles (like a fuel belt) are fine. I hate the big bottles. The threading on the lid gets screwed up way too easily and then it leaks. I have two bottles which gorked out on their 2nd or 3rd use. And they are freaking expensive to last only 2-3x. ...
                          I have one of the amphipods with little bottles, and I have observed two disadvantages -- they bounce when full, and sometimes they fall out -- I do try to be careful to clip them all the way in, but I guess sometimes I don't get them clipped in well enough. Yesterday I used them for the first time in at least a month, so maybe I'm rusty on clip-in care, but I dropped one in an informal race, and had to jump down into a drainage ditch and grab it and then try to clean off the muddy top on my shirt -- annoying...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.