Will running help my hiking? (Read 381 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Depends on what you mean by helping?

Improve endurance? Sure.

Improve technique or skill? Never.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xhristopher

Depends on what you mean by helping?

Improve endurance? Sure.

Improve technique or skill? Never.

What if you run on hiking trails?

The Pocatello Kid.

Yes! The endurance alone is huge. When I hike with friends, I can always tell its helping me. I can go longer without breaks and faster.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

trail running takes much more refinement in skill simply because of how varied the terrain is compared to an open road event.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xhristopher

trail running takes much more refinement in skill simply because of how varied the terrain is compared to an open road event.

How is it compared to regular training on the road?

L Train

Do ostriches climb mountains?

xhristopher

I really wonder if an ostrich runs faster on the savanna or the sahel?

Ostrich runner

I expected my trail running to help me when backpacking more than it did. When covering lots of miles running, I tend to lose gluteal strength. The stuff I run is hilly for Indiana...but only for Indiana. Most of the backpacking I do requires much more climbing, and I've found my ability wanting even when I thought I was in good condition. In general, I've found that backpacking helps my running, rather than the reverse.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Primarily the surfaces are vastly different. Roads are pretty much flat and trails are usually concave. The concave surface has a much smaller area of landing to hit with each step.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I really wonder if an ostrich runs faster on the savanna or the sahel?

ask her

http://www.scienceinschool.org/2011/issue21/ostrich

xhristopher

ask her

http://www.scienceinschool.org/2011/issue21/ostrich

tl dr

All I saw were pics of someone hugging and kissing an ostrich.

What does that have to do with trail running on the open road anyway?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Its a long running joke here that I study animal biomechanics as well as human movement. So I have a very different training perspective.

What the diagrams of her article illustrate is the difference in length of each limb in their leg joints. The shorter the limb, the more power it generates in their step mechanics. What they show is that faster road running is possible by eliminating the quads as the primary source of power generation.

Trail running is usually a forefoot landing technique, while road running is a heel strike for optimum economy. that changes the role of the ankle joint and calf muscle mechanics between the two techniques. But to be good at both, requires a much higher level of gluteus maximus integration than you would use conventionally.

Feeling the growl again

tl dr

All I saw were pics of someone hugging and kissing an ostrich.

What does that have to do with trail running on the open road anyway?

You think it's going to let you hitch a ride just for your looks?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Its a long running joke here that I study animal biomechanics as well as human movement. So I have a very different training perspective.

What the diagrams of her article illustrate is the difference in length of each limb in their leg joints. The shorter the limb, the more power it generates in their step mechanics. What they show is that faster road running is possible by eliminating the quads as the primary source of power generation.

Trail running is usually a forefoot landing technique, while road running is a heel strike for optimum economy. that changes the role of the ankle joint and calf muscle mechanics between the two techniques. But to be good at both, requires a much higher level of gluteus maximus integration than you would use conventionally.

I think my foot strike is exactly between forefoot and heel. What animal runs like that?

I think my foot strike is exactly between forefoot and heel. What animal runs like that?

Nothing can stop...The ANIMAL....THE ANIMAL!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cq9GN1X1Qc

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes