Will running help my hiking? (Read 381 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Since most trail running is done on your toes, is why I studied ostriches in the first place. Since they're natural toe runners I wanted to contrast their running techniques to figure out what I can learn from them.

In fact one of my favorite students took second place in her age group for a trail 5K race without even trying. Her goal was simply to finish the race without injury given ankle stability issues were the worry. She didn't even realize how well she had done until afterwards.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xhristopher

In fact one of my favorite students took second place in her age group for a trail 5K race without even trying. Her goal was simply to finish the race without injury given ankle stability issues were the worry. She didn't even realize how well she had done until afterwards.

She must be from Nantucket.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

She was from Russia.

And she did most of her training on the stairmaster, not the treadmill.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

That is incredible.  Is DK one of your students too?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Don't know who DK is.....

Don't know who DK is.....

Uh, Donna Karan? Hello.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

sport jester

Biomimeticist

That is incredible.  Is DK one of your students too?

no,

Most of my respect comes from tactical (military, law enforcement, firefighting) athletes up to and including Navy SEALs.

no,

Most of my respect comes from tactical (military, law enforcement, firefighting) athletes up to and including Navy SEALs.

Aha, that explains where all the great trail runners like Scott Jurek, Timothy Olson, and Tony Kupricka got their skill from. Which of your athletes ran WS100 this year?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Like I said, my clients don't run down the street unless someone is shooting at them. Besides, they're wearing over 120lbs of equipment and body armor.

When a SEAL loses their competition they don't come home in an airplane in first class seating; they come home in a bodybag. My world of training goes far beyond what recreational athletes fathom.

In reality, most athletes have no interest to improve their running skills. They're far too egotistical to think they can learn anything new.

xhristopher

Like I said, my clients don't run down the street unless someone is shooting at them. Besides, they're wearing over 120lbs of equipment and body armor.

When a SEAL loses their competition they don't come home in an airplane in first class seating; they come home in a bodybag. My world of training goes far beyond what recreational athletes fathom.

In reality, most athletes have no interest to improve their running skills. They're far too egotistical to think they can learn anything new.

Have you tried Tough Mudder?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Personally I can't. Serious injury screwed up my shoulder. That's how I got into training runners in the first place.

My students participate in a variety of sports from lacrosse, basketball, and soccer just to name a few. A few SEAL candidates are active in the GORUCK challenges.

This toe theory is interesting.  When running over rocks , roots, and mud the part of your foot with the least surface area for traction is the best form?   Explain.

Feeling the growl again

This toe theory is interesting.  When running over rocks , roots, and mud the part of your foot with the least surface area for traction is the best form?   Explain.

Read the linked threads man, you're beating your head into a wall.  Smile

After the last go-around I emailed the thread link to a friend of mine...a recently retired SEAL whom I ran with in college (a very mediocre 37min college runner can, in fact, run circles around SEALs.  That's not what they're good at or what SEAL training is about).  Even with SJ's real name he had no clue who he was, and could come up with no information that this person did in fact train SEALs.  He thought the whole thing was pretty silly in fact.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Toe trick to toe running has a number of components. First is that since ostriches only have two toes, mimicking them requires far more skill than many expect. Its a balance technique which allows for only needing your big and index toe for landing.

The other is that with trails being concave surfaces, that it requires learning how to run with inline rather than with a parallel leg swing.

Its also true that ostriches actually run with what humans would refer to as being pigeon toed. Academically, its called intoed running.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8784703

You can learn the basics in what I call the masking tape exercise of this story. Yes I'm the Robert of his article and the videos in the story link to my channel explaining T-Rex running to give you an idea of what it looks like visually.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/evolution-of-learning-how-to-run-distance

sport jester - you completely missed the question.  Rocks and roots are not concave nor do they provide a uniform surface for even stride.    What works better on mud, a pointy toe or flat foot?