Being your own coach (Read 787 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm surprised no one here ever talks about this... As an adult athlete, one thing that I've found very rewarding about running is the fact that I get to be my own coach. Smile I get to try out all my ideas and see how they work for me. I feel actively involved and invested in the process - and responsible for the results. That's one thing that high-school athletics never gave me - it was always just following someone else's directions about what to do. I like that I get to custom-design all my workouts and plans. I like the knowledge that I'm able to tailor it specifically to my needs and schedule. Sometimes I feel a little limited by my lack of knowledge, but that serves as an incentive for me to go learn more. So it's a nice little circle: learn more --> train better --> plateau/problem --> learn more --> train better, etc. Maybe some day I'll reach a point where I'm not improving with what I'm able to learn/see/do for myself and I'll be forced to seek outside, expert advice. Ie, hire a real coach. But until that time, I'm my own and it's really cool! Cool How about the rest of you guys? Anybody notice this happening? How do you like being your own coaches? Okay, this may not apply to the teens/twenties here... but if it doesn't, how do you like having a coach and do you ever wish you were in charge yourself?

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

^^^^^^^ Yeah, that. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

I do miss having a coach! In a lot of ways, it's a lot easier to be a runner when you've got someone else to do all the planning for you... and it's also very motivating to know that you have to show up to practice... I used to run through all sorts of conditions (bad weather, little sleep, sinus infections, etc) just because I didn't want to dissappoint my coach... that's a little harder now that it's all on my own shoulders! Tongue That said, I do share your enthusiasm for starting to learn about the planning/training aspects of running. I do feel like I'm becoming a more complete runner by learning all about thest things... Ya'know what else I really miss? Team-mates! I really miss having the same group of people to run with every day. I've joined some running clubs and training programs and they are really good that way, but it's not quite as fun as it was back in highschool XC and track. (Or is that just in hindsight?) Actually, this RA forum has really helped maintain that feeling of runner's camaraderie in my life... one of my favority parts! Big grin
        mikeymike

I am totally uncoachable at this point. Not that I was very coachable as a highschooler. I don't even like being part of club or in any way having people rely on me or having to rely on others for anything to do with running. It's nice to run with people (I've been running with a couple friends from work lately) but only if it is totally informal. I'd go anyway if they weren't going and they'd go if I weren't going. I think I started running more seriously around age 30 because, at that point--with a kid and a house and a wife and a stressful job--it was the one thing I could do totally on my own, for me, on my schedule and I could be in control of it. What I get out of the sport of running is totally up to what I am willing to put into it. Advice, a third party opinion, the voice of experience...these are all good things and I enjoy talking to others about running and learning from other peoples' experiences. But I'll never have a coach again.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MikeyMike, I think you have hit on pretty much what I feel (in addition to what Janell originally posted). In HS our track coaches were great for the distance runners, but they pretty much gave EVERYONE the same workout (I was a sprinter), so I almost always had shin splints and tight, painful calves. As a result I rebelled and ended up running alone and ignoring their workouts much of the time, anyhow. I like running with other people, but most people seem to be significantly faster or slower than I am, or they don't want to go as far. I wish I lived closer to backroadrunner, since she and I are so similar in our abilities (and she's my best friend, so we keep each other company and the time passes so fast).

~ Sarah Kay

I seem to have too much of a stubborn streak in me to yield to a coach. Big grin Hey, I can't even follow a cooking recipe without modifying it. I can see benefits of having someone who knows better than I do giving me pointers and saving me from many mistakes but I am not running to win races, only to see what I can do. That also means, can I, on my own, find the best formula for myself? Can I follow a plan that I had designed? Can I be a keen enough observer to notice positive and negative changes in my fitness level? I will be solely responsible for what happens and if I fail there won't be anybody else to blame (hmm... maybe I need to rethink having a coach after all Wink ) Ewa
              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Now that was a bath...

I hear ya Janell! I too like organizing my own running. It's very empowering. Like Mike I can't imagine being part of a club and if I am honest I really wouldn't want to run with anyone else either! Maybe they will let me run Waiheke on my own so i don't have to feel 'slow' compared to all the experienced/elite runners! Anyhow - who needs a coach when you have JK to wager you to the finish line! Claire xxx
              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                bas

I mix running at a club with running by myself. At the club I let myself be coached and learn a lot that way. Also I like the company of the group. The coaching does not involve schedules for my other runs, but I do get feedback I can use. This is once a week. The other days, I like to run alone. Sometimes I run with a friend, but mostly I run by myself. I like it that way. Just the road, the weather and me... bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Finished!

I didn't have such a good experience with my coaches in HS, and I am enjoying myself surprisingly well, though at the same time I fully acknowledge the fact that I really don't have much of a clue as to what I'm doing LOL - so perhaps some gentle mentoring and guidance is in order Smile But that's what popping in here and bouncing ideas around are good for Big grin
                    Walk + Jog = wog.
                    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                    Jeffrey

I don't do authority, or tests, very well anymore. Smile However I like the idea of yelling at myself. And wearing a whistle. Big grin Tools like runningAHEAD help me coach myself!
                      vicentefrijole

I thought about making a new forum topic, but this goes along so I'll just add my QUESTIONS in here: How many of you have generally had BAD coaching experiences? How many of you have had GOOD ones? Would you ever consider coaching/assistant coaching (or just volunteering to help out) with a high-school running (XC or track) team? I've really only had good coaches... some I still consider friends.. but I'm starting to see that's pretty lucky as a lot of you seem to have bad experiences! And I have always thought I'd like to get involved with a highschool XC team, even if it's just for some informal running and volunteer helping...
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How many of you have generally had BAD coaching experiences? How many of you have had GOOD ones? Would you ever consider coaching/assistant coaching (or just volunteering to help out) with a high-school running (XC or track) team?
                          I'm hoping to do some volunteer coaching with our nearest Girls On The Run chapter this Spring. Or at least be a "team mom" or something to that effect. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

How many of you have generally had BAD coaching experiences? How many of you have had GOOD ones? Would you ever consider coaching/assistant coaching (or just volunteering to help out) with a high-school running (XC or track) team?
                            In high school, I ran on one of the best cross country teams in the county (our girl's team won States) and had a dream coach - a Lombardi type who screamed at you, yet somehow you knew he loved you. Then I went to college and the coach was the total opposite... problem was, I was used to having someone scream at me -- I had trouble motivating myself and ended up quitting... While I still love my high school coach, I now realize what the problem was with his style -- I was working so hard for his approval that I didn't ask MYSELF what I wanted out of my running... it took me a long time to figure that out... now, I enjoy coaching myself.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I have never had a running coach but played tennis in high school and college and had personal coaches as well as team coaches. I enjoyed having someone to work out with and bounce things off of but when it came down to it, I was the one that had to perform and make the necessary changes on the court. With running, I like to do the research and make a schedule that fits where I am and what's going on during that period of time. With forums such as this and others that I have participated on in the past it helps when you have a question- you can get information from real life experiences of others.
                              http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                                I never played organized sports in school so, I missed out on the coach thing. The closest I come to having a coach is places like RunningAhead. This is a terrific forum for training advice & links to other pertinent information. I don't have a running partner & it's great to have a forum for talking about running with people who understand. Non-runners want to talk about running as much as your co-workers want to see pictures of your kids or hear all about your vacation. Not. Getting back to Wingz point, yeah, I love being my own coach. It's gratifying seeing improvement in my running both because of my effort in the workouts themselves & the thought I put into them. I started running again in April after a 20 year layoff & sometimes I feel like Rip Van Winkle. The improvements in gear & nutrition is very interesting. Things like Gu are a godsend. Sweat wicking fabric is fantastic. Running tights...well...still not sure about them. Carboloading,tapering, x-training. I didn't know about any of that stuff in the 80's. It's fun figuring out what works & what doesn't.