New runner - need some advice (Read 63 times)

Stki

I’ve just realized that I’m overweight and in bad shape. So now I’ve decided to start running to improve on this.

Two days ago I went for my first run. I ran just under 10 km as slow as I could while still running. It was hard but not to bad. Yesterday however when I went for my second run I was aiming for 5 km in the same slow pace, but I just couldn’t do it. After 3 km I had to start alternate between walking and running in order to complete the course.

So am I starting out to hard? Should I run shorter distances or give myself more time to recover between runs? Or is it fine that some days just feels really bad?

SMART Approach

Too much too soon. Your journey of becoming a runner will take multiple weeks to build up. You can't rush the process or you will get injured. You need structure.  I am happy to send you a beginner plan at no charge focused on a proper and safe ramp up with proper recovery built in.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Altair5

Runs in the rain

10K is a long distance so no wonder you had trouble with the 5K the next day, not enough recovery! Good that you ran slowly, your first goal should be consistency not speed. I would suggest going by time at first, not distance. Run out at an easy pace for 10 minutes and then ten minutes back, 20 minutes total. Run three to six days a week giving yourself a rest day or days as needed. Take a week or more to see if you can do this and then when ready start adding to the time very gradually, like after two weeks next try some 25 or 30 minute runs. Take the time to build a good base before you can expect to run six milers every day. I am not a trainer, just commenting based on my own experience.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Stki

Thanks.

I'm going to rest today and go for a new run tomorrow. I'll try to find some beginners programs. I have looked at some before, but they seemed to start out too easy...but then again, my brain has not yet come to peace with my actual poor fitness level.

When you say I should run by time and not distance I'm not sure that will make any difference as I only have one speed (really slow) anyway. Or is this something that will make it easier to mentally put me on the right track?

And what should I do about hills? Slow down (walk) to stay at the same intensity or try to keep running? Where I live we don't have much flat areas, and I live half way up a mountain, so either I start or end with a climb.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I suggested 20 minutes time because some regard that as the minimum period of exercise needed to have good improvement in training. Going by distance is alright too, but perhaps you should watch how much time goes by so as not to overdo it at the start. Perhaps to my detriment I make my own plans, but you can find many beginner plans online or find a coach if you prefer. I live in a hilly area, sometimes I will travel by car to a flat place when I am beginning training and don't yet have the leg strength. . If you go uphill it is equivalent to speed work so take it easy at first. Use short strides and walk or rest if needed.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm going to rest today and go for a new run tomorrow. I'll try to find some beginners programs. I have looked at some before, but they seemed to start out too easy...but then again, my brain has not yet come to peace with my actual poor fitness level.

When you say I should run by time and not distance I'm not sure that will make any difference as I only have one speed (really slow) anyway. Or is this something that will make it easier to mentally put me on the right track?

And what should I do about hills? Slow down (walk) to stay at the same intensity or try to keep running? Where I live we don't have much flat areas, and I live half way up a mountain, so either I start or end with a climb.

Since there are plans available for everyone from couch to 5K beginners to advanced plans for the serious recreational runner, you should be able to find one that fits your current fitness level.  It may just take a little time and patience to find and review them.  I'd suggest looking at the Higdon plans since there's a lot of gradation in them from Novice 1 to Advanced and from preparing for race distances from 5K to marathon.

Distance or time doesn't make much difference.  What is relevant is to find an appropriate measure to start and make periodic increases.  In either case they are only proxies for training stress.  Most of the time the effort should be easy with once or twice a week a longer or harder effort.

Hills are good to include if you can.  Many of us have to go out of our way to find hills or an equivalent like stadium steps to run.   Learn to run both up and down hills.  How hard and whether to walk is a function of my above comments.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Stki

Hills are good to include if you can.  Many of us have to go out of our way to find hills or an equivalent like stadium steps to run.

We love our mountains for hiking and postcards, but in everyday life they're a pain. I've never seen this from the other side, where you need to go searching for a hill. Thanks.

CalBears

There is no plan that will suit you exactly. The only measure of what you should do is you. You should run based on how you feel - there should not be (at the very beginning at least) any hard set numbers - be it a distance or a time. We all different, that's what you should understand. So, follow the principles and correct the plan as you go. For example, I can give you my example (of course, right? Smile Started to run at age 45 when I understood I am 30 lbs overweight and any night sleep ends for me in a heartburn. Looking back, I think I was lucky to start running in a gym, so, I could run until I started to feel tired or unwell. Just like yesterday, I remember - I was running at a TM for 10 minutes at 5 miles per hour, then was walking for 5 minutes at 3 miles per hour and then did 10 minutes run and 5 minutes walk again - total 30 minutes - 20 running and 10 walking. Did it for a 2-3 weeks every other day or so - again, I might be running for two days in a row based on how I felt or I could run one day and rest two days after that. In 3 weeks I was able to run consistently 6-7 miles every other day or so. In 8 weeks I got to 11 miles on Sundays. In 3 months I ran my first 5K in 22:24 and in 4 months I ran my first HM in 1:42 (and in 8 months I ran my first FM in 3:31). Here comes a part where you should be careful. What I mean is - now, knowing what I know - you should not rely on other people's anecdotal cases (like mine) - you should follow your path. I know, for example, that I turned out to be a pretty good runner and progressed very quickly. It might be not your case and your progress could be much slower. But, I also know quite a few people (younger though) who progressed much quicker than me. What I am trying to say - start carefully, listen what your body telling you (I know, I know - such a cliche Smile and see where it will lead you. Just one condition - consistency - you cannot train for a month, then stop for a month, then start running again and expect you could start where you left month ago - consistency and once again - consistency (my daughter hates hearing this Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Stki

I went for a new 5k run today. It felt much, much better.

How would you go about setting goals? My main goal is to get healthier, but even if it's the most important, it's not the most motivating (at least for me). So what would be a realistic, yet motivating goal I can work towards for the next months?

My dream would be to eventually be able to run any distance (preferably over a mountain) at any day and call it an easy run.