Internet TV (Read 828 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Really?  That would be cool.  I know HD movie trailers take a while to download, though, so I wonder if our connection is fast enough.  I'd have to check with the hubby, but I think our speed is only 15mbps, at best.

That's fast.  My DSL is like 3Mbps.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's fast.  My DSL is like 3Mbps.

Ahhh...so it works OK with DSL?  I wondered if that was fast enough, as I know that's generally slower than slow cable.  Cool.  This really should end up being cheaper than keeping our cable TV, then, given that we don't watch a huge amount of stuff to begin with.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ahhh...so it works OK with DSL?  I wondered if that was fast enough, as I know that's generally slower than slow cable.  Cool.  This really should end up being cheaper than keeping our cable TV, then, given that we don't watch a huge amount of stuff to begin with.

Hold on - they may be providing me with lower-def based on my speed or on the fact that it's a Kindle at the other end.  A quick Google suggests that you'll want to keep your 15Mb.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, that's good info.  Still should end up saving us over having cable TV...even really low-rent cable TV.

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

OK, that's good info.  Still should end up saving us over having cable TV...even really low-rent cable TV.

You'd be surprised how little it can save.  I don't have cable because Mrs. Stadjak and I are weak, and we'd veg.  So we don't want it in the house.  But I think we only save $7/mo off the cable bill because of all the "bundling" discounts you no longer get.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

FWIW, some additional food for thought. I really only want to use the cloud to back up and store stuff cheaply. Streaming kinda sucks. It often performs poorly, especially in rural areas, plus bandwidth caps/charges will eventually whack you pretty hard. I'm hoping that the economics work better for cloud storage, on-demand download, and play locally on any device. The MSOs will watch this closely. Their future revenue may come from offering cloud-based content storage and file sharing/access services rather than bandwidth and service charges. Even if you unplug, they can offer you a paid service to store and access all your digital content. May be the only way to compete with Apple, Google, amazon. 

But the cloud storage needs to be cheap and easy. I can pop a 2 TB hard drive in my home for less than $100. I can have two of them for local redundancy. I'm in the eval process of a new PC/media server for home now. Looking at possibly switching from PC to the Mac Mini. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You'd be surprised how little it can save.  I don't have cable because Mrs. Stadjak and I are weak, and we'd veg.  So we don't want it in the house.  But I think we only save $7/mo off the cable bill because of all the "bundling" discounts you no longer get.

Charter just jacked our rates up $30/month.  A year ago they did this and we threatened to drop and they gave us this "special" discounted rate.  But I'm tired of that game, especially when we aren't even getting HD picture.  Everything actually looked better on our old tube TV with analog cable than it does now on our HD set.

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

FWIW, some additional food for thought. I really only want to use the cloud to back up and store stuff cheaply. Streaming kinda sucks. It often performs poorly, especially in rural areas, plus bandwidth caps/charges will eventually whack you pretty hard. I'm hoping that the economics work better for cloud storage, on-demand download, and play locally on any device. The MSOs will watch this closely. Their future revenue may come from offering cloud-based content storage and file sharing/access services rather than bandwidth and service charges. Even if you unplug, they can offer you a paid service to store and access all your digital content. May be the only way to compete with Apple, Google, amazon. 

But the cloud storage needs to be cheap and easy. I can pop a 2 TB hard drive in my home for less than $100. I can have two of them for local redundancy. I'm in the eval process of a new PC/media server for home now. Looking at possibly switching from PC to the Mac Mini. 

So Twentieth Century Fox may be finally joining the twentieth century in terms of a distribution model?  Give 'em another decade and they may

As for streaming, I have had no problem with it.  I'm getting more and more sold on the cloud model.  Not only does the provider store and back up my movies, books, music, notes, and documents, but they are available to me on any device - my phone, work computers, Kindle, home pc, borrowed devices.  In some cases, I can share and collaborate with others.

If your Internet service isn't reliable, it's another matter.  Or if you don't trust Internet giants with your stuff.  And there are the privacy concerns.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Or if you don't trust Internet giants with your stuff.  And there are the privacy concerns.

About all I trust them with is my 4096bit encrypted backups.

/me tries to get the tin-foil hat to better cover my ears.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

So Twentieth Century Fox may be finally joining the twentieth century in terms of a distribution model?  Give 'em another decade and they may

As for streaming, I have had no problem with it.  I'm getting more and more sold on the cloud model.  Not only does the provider store and back up my movies, books, music, notes, and documents, but they are available to me on any device - my phone, work computers, Kindle, home pc, borrowed devices.  In some cases, I can share and collaborate with others.

If your Internet service isn't reliable, it's another matter.  Or if you don't trust Internet giants with your stuff.  And there are the privacy concerns.

The more stuff you store in the cloud, the better it is for me and my company. Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The more stuff you store in the cloud, the better it is for me and my company. Smile

Ah, very much so, according to your profile. Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For those of you who are using Internet TV, what sort of device do you have connected to your TV?  I must say that the Roku boxes look intriguing, especially with the ability to stream Pandora music.  I have a Pandora One account, so that would be cool.

~ Sarah Kay

For those of you who are using Internet TV, what sort of device do you have connected to your TV?  I must say that the Roku boxes look intriguing, especially with the ability to stream Pandora music.  I have a Pandora One account, so that would be cool.

Well we bought a TV that has apps and can be hooked up to the internet so sometimes we use the TV, sometimes we use the DVD player however most of the time we use the laptop that we have hooked up to the tv. Oh and the twins have their Wii hooked up to their TV for when they want to watch their shows on netflix upstairs in the loft

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Charter just jacked our rates up $30/month.  A year ago they did this and we threatened to drop and they gave us this "special" discounted rate.  But I'm tired of that game, especially when we aren't even getting HD picture.  Everything actually looked better on our old tube TV with analog cable than it does now on our HD set.

Up $30/mo in a single go?

Yeah, you need to tell them to go pound sand, even if you go Dish or DirectTV.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The only downside with using our Wii is apparently that produces the lowest quality feed.  DH has a work laptop that he uses most of the time, so we'd most likely hook his desktop computer up to the TV and use that as the streaming device.  It would actually give us an HD picture, for a change.  For a while the local networks were in HD, but now they're only HD for those who have an HD cable package.

~ Sarah Kay