Advice on sneakers anyone (Read 860 times)

Hello, I recently started running again. I'd love for anyone to give me any advice they have on a good pair running shoes. I have a picky right foot so anything that might be easy one the feet would be great. Not looking to spend an arm and a leg on them. In the range of about 50 to 80 bucks. Again I'm new so any help is great. Thanks

Double IPA Please!

Do you have a local running store? I would start there and get properly fitted. Nothing like buying a pair of shoes and not having them fit properly.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Do yourself a favor and go to a decent running store. Plan to spend closer to the 80 rather than the 50. This will aid you in your quest to out run the potatosaur.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Member Since 2008

It all depends on the type of foot your have, (arches, width, etc.) Best thing is to go to a running store and be properly fitted. Everyones feet is different. Some people work well with only one brand, and there are people like me who can wear anything but New Balance.
            Yeah we have DSW, Foot Locker, Finish Line, etc... I'm only 45 mins from NYC as well so I can jump down there if needs be for something a little more obscure. Just a reliable brand would be great, I've never had good luck with adidas and nikes always fall apart on me.
              Ive never tried New Balance thats def an idea Id like to try
              Lisa3.1

I wouldn't go to discount stores for that.
                JakeKnight

Yeah we have DSW, Foot Locker, Finish Line, etc... I'm only 45 mins from NYC as well so I can jump down there if needs be for something a little more obscure. Just a reliable brand would be great, I've never had good luck with adidas and nikes always fall apart on me.
                  First - banish the word "sneakers" from your vocabulary. Second - A big NO to Foot Locker or any place like it. What you are looking for is expertise, not discounts or people dressed like referees. You want a place that does nothing but sell running shoes and running gear. A Fleet Feet, a Road Runner Sports, someplace like that. Maybe a good mom and pop local place. But if they have kayaks and hunting rifles and punching bags in the store ... leave. An article for you: http://www.runningcenters.com/articleDetail.aspx?aid=9 Third, wherever you go - you should expect them to carefully examine your feet, to ask you to walk and run for them, and hopefully to do a test on this funky machine where you step on a mat and it looks at your gait and how your feet land. Good places will have you run on a treadmill - and they may even ask to look at your current shoes to see how they wear. If the place you got to doesn't do all or most of that ... leave! Fourth, listen to the experts - but listen to your feet. If you don't like the way they feel after a week, take them back. Ask about a return policy - all good places will take them back or exchange them. Go to more than one store if you want more opinions. Get the right shoes. There are good shoes to be had for under $80. I used to live in Asics 2120s and never paid more than $80.00. And one common trick: once you are sure you've identified the shoe you like ... THEN you can shop around for that specific shoe. Just because Fleet Feet has them for $80 doesn't mean you can't find them online or at a discount place for $50. But no matter what, start at a real running store.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Agree with JK on footlocker etc. Also, avoid Modells. If you're coming to NYC - you can try super runners store (several branches, some of which have treadmills), jack rabbit sports (near union square, has treadmills and will video you to diagnose the right kind of shoe), new york running company (in the time warner center, also with TM and video) - they're all good.
                      Very nice. This helps a ton. Yeah I may just take a trip to NYC this weekend to see if I can get some decent shopping done. Yeah I have a sibling that works at DICKS sporting goods and they don't have the sense God gave a fruit loop at that store. I wouldn't imagine Foot Locker would be any different. Big ups guys and gals thanks!
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Some people work well with only one brand, and there are people like me who can wear anything but New Balance.
                        Ha, apparently I am your polar opposite...I am one of those people who seem to only have luck with one brand...and for me that brand is NB. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And one common trick: once you are sure you've identified the shoe you like ... THEN you can shop around for that specific shoe. Just because Fleet Feet has them for $80 doesn't mean you can't find them online or at a discount place for $50. But no matter what, start at a real running store.
                          And don't take up a salesperson's time, then walk out and go online to save a few bucks. For that first pair suck it up and do the right thing--buy from the kind person who helped you into that right shoe. Then once you've worn those babies out and know they are the shoe for you, THEN look for deals online for subsequent pairs. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I would definitely suggest the running store, I went to fleet feet for my first pair and then ordered online since then. I wear a 7.5 or 8 shoe, but my running shoes are a size 9.
                              Very nice. Very nice. Its great to have so much info from all of you cats. I was on a crappy running forum about a year back and nobody ever answered any post. Im glad I found this site thanks a bunch.
                              allout88

Get Asics or Brooks...everything else is garbage ;-)