preparing for my 10K (Read 804 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

As I have previously mentioned in another thread, I am doing my first ever race on new years eve, 10K. I have about 3 weeks left to race, so has anyone got any tips at all for improving my time. I said that I was aiming for 55 minutes, and I have just got back from a practice run I plotted on this site. Here are my splits: 1 mile 07:52 2 mile 08:07 3.1 miles 09:02 4 mile 08:52 5 mile (forgot to record) 6.2 miles 52:20 Please have a look at my times, and help me if you can, thing to note is that I did it point to point, so the first half was a lot ofshallow downhill, and so the way back was harder, uphill with wind in face. I find the first 2miles the hardest, but as you can see I went harder to get warmed up quicker, I thouht, but believe that it affected my next few miles, as I was suffering. It is hard for me to know what spped to go at the start. Do you guys think that in a race environment times improve over running alone? Please guys, any tips or help will be great. Should I be doing a 10 K 3 or 4 times a week? or doing a 8 miler, with a quick short one etc?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

JakeKnight

Out of curiosity, if you can already run a sub-53:00 10-k, why is your goal 55? Also - if you want good advice from the gang, you might want to make your log public. It's easier to critique your training if people can see it. Smile About the only concrete advice I'd have based on your reported splits is that you might want to try going out slower and maintaining a more consistent pace. Most PRs come from maintaining a pace or running a negative split (in other words, you run faster in the second half of the race). Your first mile is a full minute faster than mile 4, for example. If you went out at maybe 8:20 pace in that first mile, your overall time might be faster.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

I agree with JakeKnight...if you can run a 52:50 in training, then, in theory, you should be able to run faster in a race. The adrenaline, the crowds, and the whole racing experience will give you extra energy. Without seeing your log, I have to ask whether you did this training run a maximum effort? In general, its not a good idea to race your training runs, mostly because of the increased risk of injury. You will typically get better results by doing a combination of longer slow running, plus a little shorter speed work. May once a week you should do some tempo runs or shorter speed work (400m or 600m intervals). I plugged your 52:50 into McMillan race calculator, and the suggested tempo run (2-6 miles) training paces are 8:32 to 8:54. Notice that the recommendation is to run slower than the pace you would run for a 52:50 10K (8:25). With the exception of intervals (discussed below), your training runs will normally be slower than race pace. The suggested paces for the intervals is between 8:20 and 8:32. Notice that these are very short intervals, and you should take 90 seconds to 3 minutes between each interval to recover (walking or slow jog). Since you have only three weeks left before your race, your going to have time for 2 (maybe 3) speedwork sessions at most. The rest of your running should be at an easy pace (McMillan suggests 9:53 to 10:23). (One last comment: the term "point to point" generally means that you started at point A and finished your run at point B. I think you meant to say "out and back," which is where you start at point A, run half your distance, then turn around and run back to point A.)

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Slow-smooth-fast

I set the time as 55, because that is what I thought I would be able to achieve, I have just published my log, i hope you guys can see it, though not much on it yet.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009