Six Week 13.1 Training Plan (Read 83 times)

megankip

Hi!

I signed up for a half marathon that's six weeks away.

I've been running off and on for about 10 years now (1 full in 2012 at 4:40 with training, 4 halves from 2013-2016 with times from 2:05 with some training, to 2:35 with absolutely no training).  I've never had a problem jumping back in after taking a break from running, so I'm not worried about not being able to finish.

I didn't run much this summer and in the last two months I've been in school, but I try and squeeze in 2-3 miles when I can.  That usually ends up being about 2-3 times a week.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make the most of the next six weeks, given limited time to run.  My thoughts were maybe a day of intervals for about 30 min, a day of an easy 3 miles, and a day of a little longer (maybe 6-10).  Then throw some strength training in.

I know this won't be a big PR race or anything, I'm just looking to maximize the next few weeks Smile Thank you!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

6 weeks is not a long time.

I assume you are young.

I would ease in to the intervals and long run

Good  luck.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

an amazing likeness

Endurance first.

At "...2-3 miles, 2-3 times a week...", that's 4-9mi per week = you are running a very light schedule.

So adding easy miles will have the most benefit.

Screw the speed work, that's not the workout you want at this point.

Yes to 6-10 milers, and push every other run longer as well.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

What milktruck says.  You have basically no base, and endurance is going to be your test.  As much EASY running as you can do is the best strategy, but be cautious about increasing your volume.  If you can run more than 3x/week it will help a lot, even if some days are only 2-3 miles.  But longer runs and more runs will help you more than strength training or intervals.

Coastal

OP:  How is the training going?  You're only a couple weeks away from your race?