Barefoot Running Mechanics? (Read 628 times)

For the past week or so I have been having a nagging pain in the upper hamstring area of my right leg. I assume it is possibly due to bad shoes or bad running form. Tonight, I ran in the grass on the side of the track and the pain completely disappeared. I also noticed a faster cadence and greater stride length while running barefoot. I was running much faster than usual. Of course it was close to 30 degrees fahrenheit outside and the feet did get slightly chilly in the cold grass Big grin I will keep training barefoot as much as possible due to the great feeling of FREEDOM that I experienced and hopefully the feet will toughen up to the task at hand/foot Big grin Will training in "racing flats" give similar advantages as does the barefoot style? Perhaps running on hard surfaces causes muscle strains due to the pounding ...or improper form. I noticed that the form automatically seemed to correct itself while running barefoot.
    Scout7

You shouldn't do that. You'll get a heart attack on the infield of the track and die.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

How many topics are left, Hefty?

Roads were made for journeys...

I do most of my mileage in these, which are more minimal than most flats. http://completerunning.com/running-blog-mark/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/dc_1_sbl.jpg and the rest I do in flats. Now that it's getting warmer though I'm gonna be doing much more barefoot running. Running in flats feels good compared running with bricks on the feet but it doesn't feel nearly as good as going barefoot. Once you get used to running in flats it just feel normal, while running barefoot just feels liberating all the time. I guess once you get used to barefoot running it won't feel as liberating anymore, though. I do recommend transitioning to running in flats. Its tough at first but I've had a lot less minor injuries than in the past when I ran with bricks on my feet. It takes about a month or 2 to fully transition so it's definetely some down time in training.
          Scout7

My turn!!! Here Cont. Part 3
              My turn!!! Here Cont. Part 3
              Thanks for the links Scout7 Big grin