What's the point of the mid-long run? (Read 1479 times)

Think Whirled Peas

Most of the training plans out there for marys have a mid-week, "mid-long" run. It has me a bit confused as to its purpose. I'm creating my own training plan for my next race, the mini-marathon in Indy, and am trying to get two "quality" or "hard" workouts in a week. One will be either a neg. split/progression run of about 5-7 miles on Monday or Tuesday. The second would be "long" runs on Saturdays ranging from 10-18 miles. I'm thinking about adding the mid-long into my HM training to see how my body responds to the added mileage, and to help me determine if I'm ready to take on a full marathon later in the year. So that's the "why" I'm considering doing it, but if I were to incorporate it into the week (8-14 mile run), what purpose (outside the obvious more miles is better concept) would it really serve? And would it be considered another "hard" day of running?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Part of the purpose does, in fact, lie in the "more miles is better" arena. Specifically, it helps to build endurance. Obviously the long runs are important, but without adequate supporting miles, the long runs just aren't gonna get you there. The medium/long runs serve as a really large building block in your base. They get you used to being on your feet for more than just a short jaunt. Also, if you choose to run the marathon, they really help fend off the fade, particularly when the difference between you mid/long run and your long run is small. Generally, they're not considered quality workouts. I will say that they're HIGHLY valuable. Think of them as a really big block in your base that can support more additional mileage than a smaller block. As you prep for the HM, I think making one of your quality workouts a tempo run would suit you better than a neg split/progression run (depending on how you structure a run like that).

Runner

Aren't most plans asking you to also run these "mid-long" runs at a goal marathon pace? I think they are geared towards getting you used to longer distance at a goal pace, and to as stated earlier build that big base needed. For me it seems like my long runs are geared at "finishing me off" for the week, and the mid long runs are actually getting me ready for some relative speed at distance.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I don't read books, I just follow mileage plans...like the pfitz 18-55. he's got the mid-long runs. I never thought to wonder why, but I can say I think they really help. After 6 weeks of two 10 to12mile mid week long runs, I was able to chop 6 minutes off my half marathon time. I just ran them however I felt that day and logged them as mid-long runs.

Jennifer mm#1231

KISS=Keep It Simple Ssssssssweetie! Wink I've noticed that there are so many "schedules" out there and most of them seem to have been set out by a former "fairly good runner". They will most likely have two or at least one quality workout during the week along with, of course, a long run on the weekend. You've got to realize that they were, at their prime, most likely running twice a day every day up to 100 miles a week. So if they were doing 13 workouts a week, it's 2 out of 13 that would be high quality workouts; and I'd say 3-mile worth of intervals and/or 5 to 10 miles of tempo runs, so around 10 miles of quality work; i.e. about 10% of their weekly mileage. This is something Willamona always preaches, and I totally agree with her, you've got to have solid background of mileage to support this kind of trainng structure. POQ (this is directing at you): Is this going to be your first marathon? If so, I'd strongly encourage you to throw out those "quality" workouts for now and concentrate on building up mileage. I prescribed this young lady to do a weekend's long run (starting at 1:30 and gradually worked her way up to 3:00) plus mid-week medium long run (the focus of this thread); plus have her do one or two or three, if she wants to, easy jogging or other activities on other days. I thought that would be enough for her to do 4-hour marathon. I ended up alternating the medium long run during the week with solid hill training--not running them fast but classic Lydiard hill circuit; starting at 20 minutes total (plus w-up and c-down) up to 50 minutes. This is simply because it was getting too damn hot to just run for 1:30~1:45, I wanted some change of pace. She did 3:41. If she stuck with two long/mid-long runs a week, I think she would still have run 3:45. Now, I didn't prescribe ANY pace work. I had NO idea what her marathon pace would be. I actually, in the end, thought she could run 3:30 but the day was too damn cold and windy (Chicago a year ago, not last year's) and she wasn't dressed properly and she didn't quite get proper pacing either. Now, I gave her that target pace AFTER I observed her progress and some of her long runs and one 25k race. It wasn't the other way around--"Oh, I want to break 4-hours, so for that, I need to train such-and-such pace...!" It just doesn't work out that way. If you try to do that, you'll only put pressure on yourself and get stressed out. One other thing--I did peek your training in the past month (now I know why we have the log available...); you seem to do workouts quite randomly; you did tempo run the day before long run or medium long run the day after long run, etc. You should sit down first and structure your day-to-day workouts a little more carefully. It would serve you so much better if you line them up something like: long run--easy run--easy run--tempo run--easy run...something like that. I'd say a rule of thumb is; you CAN do long run, as long as you do it nice and easy, the day after fast run; but wouldn't recommend other way around. If you insist doing some quality workouts, that's fine too but I would strongly recommend doing one long run (weekend) and one medium long run (during the week) as pre-requisit for preparation for the marathon. They would not have to progress the duration every week; in fact, fructuating them would actually work better. But, in the end, they would serve you so much better; trust me (particularly men).
              If you want to race you need to do the base. Great advice Nobby. 8 Ball Cheers

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks everyone, for the input! If I'm understanding Mr. Inertia's point, the overarching goal is really to be "more miles" which, in turn, builds endurance. So if I add in a mid-long run it should be at an easy pace, and would not be considered a "Hard" workout. T1Dawk is approaching the mid-long from a different angle, and running it at your expected marathon pace, to me, would indicate that it is a "Hard" workout. If I ran it like that, I would then definitely need to get rid of my "speed" workout earlier in the week. This points to Nobby's suggestion of getting rid of the 'speed' work altogether. Lifesabeach, I'm pretty much the same way in that I've not read too many books on running, though I'm starting to. I followed a plan for my first HM, and while it did get me through it, I didn't feel totally prepared to really run it. The goal of the plan was to "finish", and I'm looking to do more than that now! Smile

Think Whirled Peas

KISS=Keep It Simple Ssssssssweetie! Wink One other thing--I did peek your training in the past month (now I know why we have the log available...); you seem to do workouts quite randomly; you did tempo run the day before long run or medium long run the day after long run, etc. You should sit down first and structure your day-to-day workouts a little more carefully. It would serve you so much better if you line them up something like: long run--easy run--easy run--tempo run--easy run...something like that. I'd say a rule of thumb is; you CAN do long run, as long as you do it nice and easy, the day after fast run; but wouldn't recommend other way around. If you insist doing some quality workouts, that's fine too but I would strongly recommend doing one long run (weekend) and one medium long run (during the week) as pre-requisit for preparation for the marathon. They would not have to progress the duration every week; in fact, fructuating them would actually work better. But, in the end, they would serve you so much better; trust me (particularly men).
                  Nobby, I really appreciate what you're saying about my training of late. I totally agree, it's pretty random and not much forethought on my part has gone into my running. I've been pretty much just been lacing 'em up and hitting the road. I'll usually run the first mile or so pretty easy and then just go by feel on the rest of the run. If the legs are fresh and I feel good, I end up running pretty hard (most of my Tempo and Medium runs happen this way). If I don't have it that day, I just run easy, maybe w/a hard 1/4 mile finish some days. The only caveat to this is that most of my weekday runs are w/a couple of friends from work, and quite often one of us will have fresh legs and will want to push the pace, so I can end up running harder than I figured I would when I first got out on the road. RE: marathon training; Sorry, I should have been more clear. The mini-marathon, in Indy, is a Half Marathon. They call it the mini-marathon, so it's your garden-variety 13.1 miles. My marathon is in October of this year, and is in Grand Rapids, Michigan. So I have plenty of time to train for it. I'm just using my training prep for Indy as a "go/no go" decision on whether to attempt a full marathon this year. I'm expecting by the time October rolls around to have about 1500 miles and 1.5 years of running in. That said, I don't know if I can handle the anticipated training load for a full mary. I hope to find out by putting a solid plan together for the half. If I can handle the miles, training time, and mental aspect of a 12 week plan, then I think I'll be ready to take on an 18-20 week full marathon plan later in the year. I'm not currently following any plan, just running to run. The plan I'm putting together doesn't start until Feb. 4. Being so new to the sport I'm still trying to dial in what is "easy" for me most days. I know what to look for (talk test works well for me), but I sometimes struggle w/consistency throughout the run. If I'm not careful, I'll slowly keep getting faster until I eventually realize I'm hurting. I don't have a garmin to help me determine my pace and didn't like the HRM approach either as it kind of takes away from the fun of it for me. It's too much like work if I'm constantly checking my pace/HR while I'm running. What happens though is that when I run by feel alone, I often don't dial down my pace when I KNOW the run should be easy. Hence, I end up w/a tempo run the day after an easy 10 miler, which for me still constitutes a long run. My original question (and sorry this is sorry terribly long and upon further review, RAMBLING) was geared toward helping me putting a plan together that is a good mix of mostly easy runs, w/one long run on the weekend, and one other either mid-long (assuming I can figure out what it should do for me!) or some speed work. I know I don't need the speed work, but I have to admit, it is FUN/really painful!!! Painful in the positive sense though. I sometimes have a real need to hurt when I run. Too much easy pace runs and I start getting a little batty! I would love to have your input on my plan, and once I have it put together I'll share it out. After reading everyone's input I need to "modify" it first! Thanks again for taking the time to give me your thoughts on this, it's really nice to have the opportunity to get feedback from a runner w/your experience! It feels like stealing! Smile Q MTA: korrect'd spellin'

For what it's worth, I run mid-week long runs at the same pace I run my long runs: starting at 20% over MP and gradually getting down to 10% over MP. I take this approach for two reasons. First, I believe it's what Pftiz calls for; and second, because I find it makes these runs somewhat challenging but not overly taxing. I think these runs, and I say this based solely on personal experience, should not be too hard or too easy. I suppose if I had to classify them as one or the other, I would call them the easiest of quality workouts. To that end, I, usually do interval/tempos on Tues and MWLR on Thursday and LR on the weekend.
                      I sometimes have a real need to hurt when I run.
                      Yeah! Go POQ, go!
                      It feels like stealing! Smile
                      So run like you stole it. Evil grin

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

POQ It seems like I come fairly close to following the type of plan you are after. Have a look at my log and see what you think. Kenny
                          I know what to look for (talk test works well for me), but I sometimes struggle w/consistency throughout the run. If I'm not careful, I'll slowly keep getting faster until I eventually realize I'm hurting. I don't have a garmin to help me determine my pace and didn't like the HRM approach either as it kind of takes away from the fun of it for me. It's too much like work if I'm constantly checking my pace/HR while I'm running. What happens though is that when I run by feel alone, I often don't dial down my pace when I KNOW the run should be easy. Hence, I end up w/a tempo run the day after an easy 10 miler, which for me still constitutes a long run.
                          I want to commend you for learning to run by feel, instead of getting hung up in all the toys. You definitely don't need a device to tell you your pace. Running by effort with talk test is perfect. (I do use a hrm for logging data, but seldom look at watch except to know if I have to head home yet or if I have time for another loop.) BUT, you'll need to learn some discipline - regardless of how you monitor your efforts. If you know the effort should be easy, check your effort more often. Talk with yourself or sing as you go along. What I've found if my legs and body feel good after a long run (or whatever), and tend to do something besides recovery run (sometimes I do run a 2nd somewhat long run, but that has a purpose), it ends up catching up with me the next day or so, and my next several runs will need to be easy / recovery. So it breaks the consistency of my running. That said, I'm fairly undisciplined in the details of my running. I know what needs to get done, and it generally gets done, body and footing (snow) permitting. In winter, if it doesn't get done, it's usually because we had fresh snow and warm weather (soggy, heavy snow), and a 5-6 hr run training for a summer race doesn't make sense in those conditions. Training for a winter ultra, yes - but I'm not there yet. Much of my running is somewhat like yours - go out, and if conditions (body, footing, weather) are conducive to getting a quality run in, I go for it. I'm getting better at recognizing that if I do that one day, I need to recover the next, or I'll pay for it for several days. OTOH, if an ice storm is headed our way where they'll likely be several days of low quality running, I'll make hay while the sun shines. My approach to training, esp. in Alaska winter, is to go with the flow. FWIW, when I first add medium long runs to a "plan", they're usually just to get more time on legs - filling the gap between normal runs and long runs. Eventually, I try to get them at a higher quality also. For *me*, I consider them one of my "key" workouts and usually follow by recovery or off day. I tend to run 2 on / 1 off, and try to make the 1st run a key run, but sometimes it's the 2nd, if I haven't recovered from previous runs or weather / footing aren't conducive to a quality workout. (Added later: "Key" for me include long runs with hills, medium hills, rolling hills near LT on the ups and flats, intermediate run, big hill powerhike, maybe flat near LT.) I thoroughly enjoy playing on my runs, including exploration runs, but the fear of what happens in a race if I don't get the training in keeps me motivated and within general guidelines of what has to happen in my training.
                          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            ... geared toward helping me putting a plan together that is a good mix of mostly easy runs, w/one long run on the weekend, and one other either mid-long (assuming I can figure out what it should do for me!) or some speed work...
                            Here's what I made up that worked for me (after base mileage was built up). Think of the numbers as percentages of your total mpw : 10 easy 20 medium 10 easy 20 medium 10 easy 30 long rest I just made MWF the easy days and Tu Th the medium days. For building up the mileage base, the mediums were "easy", just longer than the normal easy days. After that, if I needed speedwork, it was on the Tu medium day. No speedwork necessary if doing some little short 10K races a couple times a month. So, e.g. Mon 7 miles easy Tue 14 miles medium Wed 7 miles easy Thu 14 miles medium Fri 7 miles easy Sat or Sun 21 miles one day, rest the other. Just what worked for me, until I started running longer...
                            mikeymike

PoQ, I put all my "speed" work into my two longest runs; my long run and mid-long run. That way I only have 2 hard days a week. It also helps ensure, by default really, that my "workouts" are geared toward helping me improve most at the longer distances--it's hard to do your "speed work" too fast when it's in the middle of a 13 mile run and you still have to get home in one piece. If I'm banged up and not feeling it, I just turn the mid-long run into a steady run or progression run without any real speed but I still get the miles. I don't get too hung up on labels--you'll see a lot of runs just called "mid-long" in my log but if you drill in you see tempo runs, long intervals, hills, strides etc. The biggest breakthrough I've ever had in running was when I stopped going to my club's weekly track workouts and started committing to a mid-week mid-long run. To answer the original question the point is to build endurance (particularly high-end endurance) and stamina (what is currently often referred to as "improved Lactate Threshold" or some other scientific-sounding words or acronyms here in the GSP.)

Runners run

I put all my "speed" work into my two longest runs; my long run and mid-long run.
                                I can see Squires-ism in that! ;o) 'when you set up a training program, you need to consider your strengths and weaknesses, situation and environment, and you need to consider your personality, temperament, likes and dislikes as well. Of course, there ARE times when you have to discipline yourself and do what you gotta do. But there's no point of doing something you'd dread--at least not too often! ;o) However, at your level (PoQ I'm talking about), it would still pay to pile up some nice easy long runs. My suggestion would be; to alternate medium long run and some fast stuff that you like to do every other week. I found it works nicely for beginners to have a 2-week cycle instead of trying to cram everything in a week. I would even alternate a long run with some variation--long run one week, not-so-long run the next; OR long flat run one week, long hilly run the next...something like that. You might also want to consider incorporating Lydiard's original hill circuit training; spring up the hill, not too fast but hard; recovery jog a bit; stride down the hill fast if the hill is NOT too steep; then do some windsprints at the bottom, or every 15 minutes or so if the hill is not too long...repeat this for up to an hour, starting however long (20 minutes?) working your way up gradually as you get stronger. With warm-up and cool-down, total of continuous running can be up to 1:30. This oughta hurt just the way you want it! ;o) My friend from Japan just wrote to me; he said he would like to try his first marathon toward the end of the year. He has picked a 10k race in February, 5k and 10k race in March and a half marathon (his first) toward the end of April... Then looking for a full marathon in November or December. This would work out really well; because he can work on his basic speed earlier before he starts working on a marathon program. Perhaps you'd like to consider a pattern like this???