I don't think I'm eating enough.... (Read 806 times)

or drinking or sleeping enough, for that matter. I've noticed the last couple of weeks that I just don't have the energy to run like I did a month ago or so. Three weeks ago when I noticed the change, I had a stressful week that I'm sure led to me eating a bunch of crap and not really thinking about what I was putting in my mouth. Since then, I've noticed that I've lost a pound or two (which on me is really noticable-- I'm 5'5" and about 125 pounds- even my husband noticed, which means it's really noticable. He usually is clueless Smile) Anyway, all this rambling has led me to my point. I'm trying to get back on track, because frankly, it is really irritating when I don't have the energy to keep my regular routine. (of running AND life) I'm eating better, trying to get more sleep and definately eating more and better. So, I'm seeking some advice. How many calories (approximately) should I be consuming every day? I read somewhere that you should take your weight and multiply by 13, and that would give you the calories per day that you should consume to maintain your weight. This would be 1625 calories for me, but that's without exercise, obviously. (seems kind of low, too, IMO) And, do you know of any books on nutrition/running that I would be helpful? I want to read up on nutrition in general, but I really don't want to get TOO bogged down in the intricate details. I tend to glaze over when the details come rolling in. I guess I kind of need a "nutrition for dummies" type book, or a clif notes version Big grin with examples of meals and such. NOTE: I did a search in the forums, and there is a wealth of information just on this website alone Thanks for all the very detailed discussions in the past. Seems like there were a few references to Nancy Clark's books. What are your thoughts about those books, and are there any new ones that have come out in the last few years that might be just as good or better?

Why is it sideways?

I don't want to jump to crazy conclusions, but what you describe sounds more like depression than lack of nutrition. Have you considered that possibility?
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I took all of your numbers into a running weight loss calculator designed by a one-time member of this site. Averaging your data for the last four full weeks, and assuming zero desired weight loss, I arrived at 1783 Cal/day. Note that is says that if you weren't running at all, you would have to do 1625 (same number you got) to stay at the same weight.
        Running Weight-Loss Calculator - 2/20/2008 Input: age 32 years height 65 inches weight 125 pounds hours per week of running 1.87 hours/week average running speed 6.25 miles/hour desired weight loss per week 0 pounds/week Output: You burn 1625 calories/day, excluding running. This assumes a sedentary lifestyle (i.e., a desk job with no exercise) and is calculated by multiplying your basal metabolic rate (BMR) of 1354 calories/day by 1.2. You burn 95 calories/mile of running. You burn 592 calories/hour running. Since you run 1.87 hours/week, or an average of 16 minutes/day, you burn an average of 158 calories/day running. **** If you eat no more than 1783 calories/day (132 % of your BMR) and run 1.87 hours/week at an average speed of 6.25 miles/hour, then you will lose at least 0 pounds/week. **** Your average daily deficit will be -0 calories where 158 calories (100 %) will come from running, and -158 calories (0 %) will come from eating less. Note, if you didn't run at all, then you could eat no more than 1625 calories/day (120 % of your BMR) in order to lose the same amount of weight.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

I don't want to jump to crazy conclusions, but what you describe sounds more like depression than lack of nutrition. Have you considered that possibility?
          That was my first thought, too. Eating healthy isn't that complicated. Especially for somebody at a healthy weight. Neither is running often and easy. But if you're not sleeping and not eating and not drinking enough fluids and not feeling much energy, there may other stuff going on.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

That was my first thought, too. Eating healthy isn't that complicated. Especially for somebody at a healthy weight. Neither is running often and easy. But if you're not sleeping and not eating and not drinking enough fluids and not feeling much energy, there may other stuff going on.
            Thanks y'all. I appreciate the suggestion, and while re-reading my post, I can see where you may see that as a possibility. However, I've been down the depression road before, and I really don't think that is what is going on here. As a matter of fact, on a regular day, I feel 100% better emotionally and physically since I've started running than I did before. Currently, my lack of sleep is self-induced, as we've had a lot going on in the last few weeks (family in town, kids sick, etc, etc blah, blah, blah) and I haven't been putting myself in the bed in time to get a decent nights sleep. Getting to sleep has never been my issue. If I sit down long enough, I'm generally out like a light at 8:30 PM on the sofa. Drinking enough has always been a problem for me. I just don't do it. It takes a lot for me to remember to drink thru out the day, and I have to really be creative to come up with ways to remind me to drink. I'm working on it. And, as far as the eating, I feel like I already eat well. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, I love to cook and I do it in a healthy, balanced manner. I've never had a problem with maintaining my current weight, so I know that I'm doing something right. But, now that I am exercising regularly, I think I need to make some adjustments, and I would like to learn more about the details, and if I should be eating more of particular foods that I may be shorting myself on now. (ie amount of protien per day, carbs per day, or a ratio of one to another etc.)
              If you're thinking it's a calorie or nutritional deficiency, start keeping a food diary for a few days. Log what foods you eat, portion size, etc. You can get a lot of the nutritional data from websites like calorieking.com - or from labels on the foods that you are eating. At the end of the day, you can tally up calories to see whether you are getting enough and if there are particular types of foods you aren't getting enough of and to see if you are drinking enough fluids. I've always kept a food diary to help LOSE weight (that's always been an issue for me), however, it has also opened my eyes to how certain foods affect my moods, running performance, etc. Good luck!

shonan marathon, girl

I saw my swim and run times consistently dropping for almost 6 months. I got depressed, couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was eating plenty and sleeping. I think most women don't eat enough. Then at a half marathon in January, I found myself walking after the 10k marker. My legs wouldn't move and I was experiencing shortness of breath. The next day I got a blood test and found out I had anemia. My iron level was only at 6, when it should be at least 10.6. I was immediately put on a heavy dosage of iron supplements and after 2 weeks, I felt like I went from age 63 to age 36. It's going to take until April for my iron level to be at the normal standard. What surprised me most, is that I was able to run Tokyo Marathon last Sunday at a steady pace and enjoy the race. Not worry about PR, just enjoy running through downtown Tokyo seeing all the major sights, watching the other runners and getting cheers from spectators. I was really worried whether I should do the race and if I could run 42k because of the anemia. My doctor advised me not to do it. But sometimes when you take your chances something magical can happen. Tokyo Marathon was the best race EVER! To be honest, it was one of the best times I have ever had in my life. Since the race finished, I have had a smile on my face all week now. Your problem could be nutritional deficiency or it could just be a loss of motivation. Sometimes you need to stop and slowdown. I wish that I had gone to the hospital sooner.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

hi run_ac. lots of good advice for you to look at. one thing i would just pick up on is your impressions of how much food you need. 1600ish seems about right for someone of your weight. you aren't running enough to add to that significantly (assuming your log is right you'd need maybe an extra 100 calories a day) if you are trying to put weight back on though then you will need to add to it significantly. 2200 a day should see you putting on a pound a week - even with the running you are doing. a food diary along with some notes on how you are feeling can be very revealing. but basically if, as you say, you enjoy cooking and eat lots of fruit and veg, then once you get over this stressful patch it will probably all sort itself out again.