Yeah...I remembered what I hate most about Winter running... (Read 797 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not the cold, not the wind...that's what layers are for (and cold is preferable to intense heat--at least I don't get queasy, dizzy, and weak in the cold). It's the footing. My legs, knees, and feet are KILLING me from running on slippery, snowy, icy terrain! And I hate having to spend an entire run obsessively analyzing each foot of ground in front of me and making quick decisions what spots are least likely to land me on my ass. So much for a run being relaxing and allowing me time to be alone with my thoughts--my thoughts are only of not breaking any bones and being stuck on the side of the road miles from home. My spiked Winter trainers cannot get here soon enough. I'd still rather run on a treadmill than not at all, but if it's a choice of running on this slippery crap and being in pain all the while or not running...well, my couch is starting to look good. It's gonna be a long 3-4 months.... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sad We don't get nearly as much snow as you guys (although it IS snowing today!) but I hear on the long 3-4 months. Last winter I went running with a guy who assured me the trail was "just about melted." No, it was not. I had to really watch where I put my feet and it hurt because I was running kind of "flat footed" to make sure I didn't sleep (does that make sense?). I've resigned myself to the mill ... and I downloaded Legally Blonde: The Musical soundtrack. Blush Hope your spiked trainers get to you soon!
      2009: BQ?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...and it hurt because I was running kind of "flat footed" to make sure I didn't sleep (does that make sense?).
        Exactly! It keeps you upright, but it makes everything hurt...goofs up stride, etc. What keeps me going is that by Spring I will be hella strong. I couldn't believe how tough running last Winter made me. When the roads cleared I felt like I had wings on my feet. k

~ Sarah Kay

Winter running is like trail running without having to drive out to the woods. You have to admit you feel more studly after a winter run. Although that first step out the door can be a real test of resolve.
          btb1490

I hate the exponential increase in the laundry pile from all the extra clothes you have to wear.
            obiebyke

I was born and raised in Minnesota. There was no way in HELL I was going to run in the winter. I think I did it once in high school, and couldn't stop with this horrible deep cough for hours afterward, from huffing on freezing air. Thank god I'm in the Bay Area now.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Marathonmanleto

tried a tempo run this morning while the snow fell--way harder. Feet slip while trying to maintain speed. It felt so great when running over dry pavement! Big grin
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was born and raised in Minnesota. There was no way in HELL I was going to run in the winter. I think I did it once in high school, and couldn't stop with this horrible deep cough for hours afterward, from huffing on freezing air. Thank god I'm in the Bay Area now.
                  *jealous* Yeah, I'm on antibiotics for a sinus/lung thing, as is, but it's not as bad, now. The cold air definitely gives the ol' lungs a challenge, though. Bob, that laundry thing is so true. I had 3 layers on top and 2 on the bottom, today...and hat, and gloves... Joe, snow/ice running really makes a person appreciate solid, non-slippery ground, doesn't it? Also makes living somewhere like TX or LA sound really awesome. k

~ Sarah Kay

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I have to say I've never experienced your problem despite years of winter running. Yesterday was my second run of the season on snow and ice, and the footing was really bad. Half-melted, tramped-down snow that refroze solid. But it didn't change my form at all, and nothing hurt. It may have slowed me down slightly, but I think that's just prudent. My own biased opinion is that what you're feeling is an indicator that you have room for improvement in your balance, form, and core strength. And these things won't just help you run better in the winter -- they'll help prevent injuries year-round.
                    I had to really watch where I put my feet and it hurt because I was running kind of "flat footed"...
                    I run "kind of flat-footed" all the time. It's the natural barefoot form, and it's much easier on my body, though if you're not used to it or if you're overstriding it will hurt. It's what people often refer to as "forefoot striking". Even though the whole foot lands pretty flat, the weight is forward. Yesterday on crusty snow, for example, it was the balls of my feet that broke the crust first, not the heel, and my feet were landing pretty much flat. With my weight forward like this I feel very centered and balanced despite slippery terrain. Incidentally, my new winter shoes are an $8 pair of water shoes from Sports Authority. With SealSkinz underneath for warmth they're nearly perfect. I've put 111 miles on them and they're holding up surprisingly well. Already down to $0.07/mile. Smile
                    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                      I've never heard of these "spiked winter trainers" and I actually live in Wisconsin. They sound dangerous. Winter running is the sux but it increases our HTFU factor. Plus it's kind of fun imagining what the car drivers are thinking as they see us running. Truth be told they probably don't even notice me but that doesn't stop me from inflating my ego.....

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

You'll ruin your knees!

It's gonna be a long 3-4 months.... k
                        Hmmm, let's see...just checked, sunny and 72 here, footing is good Tongue But hey, let's be careful out there...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

My legs, knees, and feet are KILLING me from running on slippery, snowy, icy terrain!
                          Try nature's pain relief - Arnica Montana gel. You can get it at a health food store. It's amazing stuff!
                          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                            For me, it's the wind. I hate the winter wind with a passion and use lots of colorful adjectives to describe it. As a result, I've been wimping out and using the treadmill quite a bit recently. I am running a 5K Saturday the "Run Like the Dickens Race" in Holly, Mich. I'll be sure to use an English accent when I curse the wind during that event. I do like my winter spikes when running in the snow/ice. They help a lot.

Dog-Love

I HATE the wind! I don't mind the snow because my Get a grips keep me from slipping...For us in Ak this cold weather means crisp sunny days. And with short days, it is really important for me to get out and get what sun there is on what little skin is exposed. Layers of clothes (yes tons of wash) and slower running but so nice and quiet on the trails. I went out running last Saturday with my camera and my dog because it was SO sunny and 14 F out. Here are some pictures of my favorite trail last weekend...oh and my cat http://picasaweb.google.com/sherrytamone/EastGlacierTrailMontanaCreekTrail?authkey=BZ2lDLrcXMs
                              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                                Wow! - great photos - thanks for sharing!