Training vs. Racing Shoe.. (Read 252 times)

Melton

Switching shoes is a recipe for injury here, I run exclusively in Peg 29's, blissfully...lol  (full disclosure:  I'm really more of a jogger Smile)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm still kind of searching for the right shoes for me, so I have quite a few, but some don't get used much.

Current trainers that get the majority of the miles:

Brooks Launch

Saucony Kinvara 3

Adidas Boston 3

Just added the Boston 3s. Only a couple of runs in them, but so far I really like them. They may be my favorites, but I'm pretty fickle.

Current racers:

Adidas Hagio

Mizuno Ronin 3

Adidas Adios 2

The Adios 2 is new and hasn't been used in a race yet. I was using the Kinvara 2/3  for 10K to HM, but hope to replace them with the Adios 2. I'll probably try them in a 7 miler in a couple of weeks and see how I like them.

I'm still pretty slow, so I could easily just use trainers for racing and it wouldn't make any difference.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

NB Trail 1010:  My current favorite for every thing.  Have worn them up to 50Miles.

NB 730:  Have used them for every thing up to Marathon.

NB R10:  Have used them up to Half Marathon distance.

However, I am wanting to try the new Mizuno EVO Cursoris Wink

MTA:  I'd like to try the Brooks Pure Drift as well.

steph  

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Kinvara 3 for everyday, Grid Type A5 for track workouts and races.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm rotating a ton right now, largely because I'm not happy in much that I have. Speed work and racing is done in Gel Tarthers and Brooks T6s. For longer runs I'm using Ghost 3s, Rider 15s, and Precision 12s. I hate them all. I'm also putting in miles on older Sky Speeds and Boston 2s, because even though they're spent, I like the feel.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I'm rotating a ton right now, largely because I'm not happy in much that I have. Speed work and racing is done in Gel Tarthers and Brooks T6s. For longer runs I'm using Ghost 3s, Rider 15s, and Precision 12s. I hate them all. I'm also putting in miles on older Sky Speeds and Boston 2s, because even though they're spent, I like the feel.

I know how you feel.  I've changed shoes so much over the last few years, and I still can't honestly say I'm in love with the shoes I'm in.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Why are you running in shoes you "hate"?!?

What would be the perfect blend of a training shoe that you would like?

---------

drrbradford

I have quite a few pairs of shoes in rotation for road work and a similar number of experimental pairs which I've not taken to. The most 'supportive' shoe I own is probably the Piranha or RC5000.

Shoes I like:

NB Minimus Road Zero (good for easy runs, comfortable and warm upper but sole is unresponsive and feels too heavy for fast work)

NB Minimus Trail Zero (best upper I've worn to date but soles aren't too robust on trails nor roads)

(both NB Zero shoes use Vibram rubber on the soles which is untrustworthy on wet pavement)

Asics Piranha SP2 (favourite for tempos and races when damp conditions)

NB RC130 (favourite for fast stuff in good weather)

NB RC5000

Adidas adiZero PRs (some of the best shoes I've owned except for their disgustingly unrobust uppers)

Once in a blue moon:

Nike Mayflys
                  Saucony Hattori (too wide and unresponsive a footbed and look funny)

Experiments:

Vibram FF KSO x 2

VivoBarefoot Airmesh

VivoBarefoot Ultra (thought I had something going here as the thin foam rubber sole feels ace but they're too cold in the wet and too wet [sweat] in the warm)

I'm pretty sure I've got others lurking in the big box o' shoes I have but those are the ones I can remember.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Why are you running in shoes you "hate"?!?

What would be the perfect blend of a training shoe that you would like?

I guess part of it is financial. I have the shoes, so I feel obligated to put miles on them. I thought the shoes worked for me when trying them in the store, but they really don't. I have a really high arch, and a somewhat unique stride in that I land very far forward, further than a mid foot strike. I'd run just in flats, but I've ruptured both my PF in the last 2 years. Because of that, I'm looking for something with more protection. I need something totally neutral, and would like the shoe to be lighter weight, lower drop, and have a touch of a softer feel while still being responsive.

I'm thinking I might go with the Saucony Triumph and Mizuno Ronin as my next couple training shoes. I'm open to suggestions though. I've also heard that the new Saucony Verrata may be good for me, and when that comes out in Feb. I'll give it a try along with some new Inov-8 that our store is getting in.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I used to just rotate 2 pairs of shoes when i was still heavily into ASICS Nimbus. Made switch to Mizuno about year ago and slowly put different shoes in my rotation. Current rotation:

Wave Rider 16 - gen. aerobic/LRs

Wave Precision 12 & 13 - gen. aerobic/LRs

Wave Musha 4 (2 pair) - one pair close to retirement with 350+ miles - use for intervals/tempos/races

ASICS Nimbus 13 - recovery runs

Like to get a pair of Ronins to add to quality day rotation.

So_I'm_A_Runner - I ams ame way and reason my ASICS still in rotation as they still have miles to give. Only use for recovery runs as they changed shoe from 12 which made me switch to Mizuno.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

robinde

Maybe this is a newbie clueless kind of thing, but I only have one pair of sneakers that I use for all of my running.  Is that unusual?

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Maybe this is a newbie clueless kind of thing, but I only have one pair of sneakers that I use for all of my running.  Is that unusual?

A lot of people do rotate shoes, but there's nothing unusual about not rotating them either.  It is generally held that you'll get more mileage on a pair of shoes when you don't use them for every run because it allows the shoe's materials to rebound fully.  If you're not running every day, or even every other day, this isn't all that applicable.  Also, people use different shoes for different types of workouts.  This is because each shoe has unique attributes (weight, flexibility, cushion, etc.) that make it more appropriate for a specific type of run.  If you're mostly running at one pace and mostly working on building your mileage, you won't have the same need for variety as others.

I think we all get a little too caught up in rotating, although there are valid reasons for doing so.  There's also a belief that using different shoes will "train" different muscles in your feet and legs, so that is something to consider.

It just means that you haven't been running long enough for your favorite shoe model to be discontinued and you have to look for a replacement. Wink

I used to wear one shoe, found it worked, so got a couple more of same shoe so I could alternate shoes when wet, etc. Then I wore them out and been looking for a another model that works. I have a collection of several models that I wear now - certain ones for snowshoe running, others for really cold (can handle heavy socks), some for steep mountains, others for roads, etc. And a bigger collection of shoes that just didn't want to work.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            RunSaintRun

Now that winter is here in the Northeast I've been running basically in the Saucony Kinvara TR's and an old pair of Brooks Defiance that I've attached screws to for black ice conditions. Looking for a 'warmer' shoe. Any suggestions, AK?

During the summer I rotated between Kinvara 3's(which I love), the Kinvara TR's, Newton Distance, and the Nike Free's 3.0.

I generally use a normal shoe, but big enough to hold heavy socks without squishing my toes.

When it's really cold (subzero F) or loose snow, I may wear a neoprene overbooty for warmth and keep snow out, like a gaitor. Sometimes snowshoes are better than shoes alone since they keep the snow away from your feet.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog