Running going very good! Can I train for a Marathon now? (Read 2095 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

by the way, does 2.20-2.30 seem an OK goal time for my first 1/2M. Am I going to be in last place and are people going to laugh at me? I wanted to run it in 2 hours, but realise that is never going to happen.

RA race predictor has you at 2:05. Your goal should be to finish and enjoy it.Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Stranger than you know

by the way, does 2.20-2.30 seem an OK goal time for my first 1/2M. Am I going to be in last place and are people going to laugh at me? I wanted to run it in 2 hours, but realise that is never going to happen.

You should have plenty of company at around 2:20-2:30 Smile

If and when you choose to enter a race, take a look at last year's result ... most races will have them online. They will give you an idea of what to expect. I do always do this, especially for smaller races where things can be a bit unpredictable. A few smaller races are geared towards the elites, and many have separate groups for competitive runners and us mere mortals. In the local winter 10K race series, I'm a slowish middle of the pack runner among the recreative runners, but would be dead last in the competitive series.

Jess Causley

Good idea to check last years result. Now I feel good, the last person did it in 4.41. And there is like 20people/minute finishing in my goaltime. So I will be fine!!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Good idea to check last years result.

That is a great idea.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

My husband does hardly anything for himself, he works 14 hour days,so it is a bit unfair that I run an hour a day. Imagine if he went to the pub everyday, I wouldn't be too impressed and I guess this is almost the same. But at least he gets to go to work, I mainly work from home while looking after the kids. 

Since when is looking after 4 young kids and keeping up the house (aside from the stuff you do for the businesses) not work?  I have two little ones and I love them to death but honestly there are days I am happy I am the one going to work and my wife has to take care of them....because work will be easier.  Wink

It is hard to explain this running thing to someone who does little else but work.  Perhaps they thrive on it but they need to understand that you don't and it's not healthy. 

Regarding the marathon, I probably set a higher bar in terms of volume than most but if your goal is just to finish, if you can run a 2:20-2:30 HM and can try and bump the training a bit as you approach the marathon and get consistent 14-16 mile runs in every week or so you'll finish ok.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills