2017 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 487 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Found the USATF certification.

It wasn't for me, until I made the mistake of double-checking after filling out my registration.  Nowhere on the website can I find mention that it is a Boston Qualifier.  Other websites - marathonguide and the like - say it is, but not the race website itself.  Before I entered, I called the LRS most closely associated with organizing it to ask, and they said it was.  However, the call went something like:

Me: "Hi, I'm interested in running the XYZ Marathon you guys are putting on...I was wondering, is it a Boston Qualifier?"

LRS Guy: "I'm...I'm pretty sure it is.  Hang on, let me check."

*muffles phone*

"Ed...hey Ed...okay, could you ask Ed if XYZ is a Boston Qualifier?"

*several seconds pass...then I can hear someone saying something to LRS Guy*

*unmuffles phone*

"Okay...yep, it's a Boston Qualifier.  By next weekend, we should have the course USATF-certified, and you'll see it on the website."

...which happened like they said it would.  But now thinking back...not exactly the confident, "Why yes, it is absolutely a Qualifier!" that would put my mind at ease right now, you know?

But I'm sure you guys are right.  Just externalizing the interior angst I'm experiencing here.

FSBD

stuck

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Found the USATF certification.

Yep, that's the one.  Does USATF certification = Boston Qualifier?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Sayhey! MM#130

I'll be there again.  11th one for me.  I like to stay near Fenway.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yep, that's the one.  Does USATF certification = Boston Qualifier?

Well, it sure helps. If the Boston folks have to do the same research I did, I can see it delaying their response to you a bit.  Maybe they compile a list of marathons that aren't already confirmed to be qualifiers, and then manually check them all before notifying the applicants.  I don't really know anything. I'm just typing stuff.  Good luck!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Well, it sure helps. If the Boston folks have to do the same research I did, I can see it delaying their response to you a bit.  Maybe they compile a list of marathons that aren't already confirmed to be qualifiers, and then manually check them all before notifying the applicants.  I don't really know anything. I'm just typing stuff.  Good luck!

Okay.  I've never been entirely clear as to what is involved for a race to become a BQ event.  Didn't know if the organizers had to apply for that status ahead of the race, if someone from BAA had to come out, etc..  So it sounds like BAA is mainly worried about the USATF cert - they'll accept a qualifying time from a USATF-certified route even if the race wasn't billed as a qualifier?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

rmcj001

In all likelihood you're good.  But, every now and again mistakes are made - so, even tho the course might be USATF certified...

Here's one where they allowed adjusted times, http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/31392006/update-chattanooga-marathon-runners-allowed-to-qualify-for-boston-marathon in.

On a better note, DW and I both received email saying we're in.

Ray

Julia1971

Thanks for all the transportation advice!  If I don't end up over-packing, I'll try taking a shuttle/the T this year.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

In all likelihood you're good.  But, every now and again mistakes are made - so, even tho the course might be USATF certified...

Here's one where they allowed adjusted times, http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/31392006/update-chattanooga-marathon-runners-allowed-to-qualify-for-boston-marathon in.

On a better note, DW and I both received email saying we're in.

Ouch.  Yeah, mistakes happen...but that would sure be frustrating.  Glad they were able to get it ironed out.

Don't think my race was short.  My legs were counting every single inch of that course by the end.

Anyway, congrats on getting in!

Received my confirmation email this morning. It felt pretty good as this will be my first time running Boston.

I registered Friday with a BQ -5 min. from last fall and then ran a BQ -10 min. on Sunday. It's been a couple of good days for me as far as running goes.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

If you did a BQ-25, it sure seems safe to assume you can qualify again. But it's still a gamble.

I ran it last year, and am very glad I did. I was pretty sure I could qualify again (I requalified during the Boston marathon actually), but now I can choose if I want to run it or not. In fact I'll skip 2017. I'm betting I can requalify in the future, but if it never happens again, I can still say "been there, done that, got the t-shirt".

Loved the experience. I was encouraged to run it, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it thinking maybe the reality would not live up to the reputation, and now it's my turn to encorage others. 

So, I decided to pass for 2017, but I'll be cheering the rest of you! I ran in 2008, 2013 and 2014 (had to get to the finish after stopping half a mile away in 2013), so I have had the Boston experience, and there is nothing else like it! But I decided to find another challenge for 2017. I am now glad I did because last Sunday I qualified for a slot in the Ironman 70.3 2017 World Championship next September! While the rest of you are logging miles next winter, I'll be trying to rack up swimming and biking miles along with some (much less) running. Good luck to all of you and I'll be hoping for good weather in Boston on April 17!

Julia1971

So, I decided to pass for 2017, but I'll be cheering the rest of you! I ran in 2008, 2013 and 2014 (had to get to the finish after stopping half a mile away in 2013), so I have had the Boston experience, and there is nothing else like it! But I decided to find another challenge for 2017. I am now glad I did because last Sunday I qualified for a slot in the Ironman 70.3 2017 World Championship next September! While the rest of you are logging miles next winter, I'll be trying to rack up swimming and biking miles along with some (much less) running. Good luck to all of you and I'll be hoping for good weather in Boston on April 17!

Congratulations!  Seems like a good reason to me for skipping Boston!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Well, it's now a full week since I registered.  Should I have heard something by now?

FSBD

Well, it's now a full week since I registered.  Should I have heard something by now?

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

bhearn

Well, yes.