2017 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 487 times)

btb1490

If anyone is interested, I am hosting my annual Pre-Race Par-Tay! Right across from the Expo on Sunday, at the Lir, Boston.  More information here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1365410633480040/

Hope to see you there!

--Robin

Nice!

Speaking of parties, does anyone have any experience with the Post Race party at Fenway?  Worth it?

Also, thanks for the great feedback regarding the shuttle from Hopkinton State Park!

FSBD

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

#artbydmcbride

Hey folks.. anyone here ever run the Jack & Jill Marathon near Seattle Washington?? Any info/advice as far as accommodations is welcomed

I did!  I stayed here:

https://www.expedia.com/Snoqualmie-Pass-Hotels-Summit-Inn.h189462.Hotel-Information

Runners run

Julia1971

I didn't run last year's race but the loading spot is definitely different than two years ago; same for gear check.  too soon to watch long range forecast?  wintry mix in Boston coming this Friday.

Now that it's 10 days out, I think we can entertain weather stalking.  Although, given how last year's weather was a complete fluke, maybe we should adopt a 24-hour rule.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Now that it's 10 days out, I think we can entertain weather stalking.

Ha ha, I'm not in this race this year, but that's totally me. Have fun with this!

bhearn

I'm out. Too much muscle damage from my 24-hour last weekend.

Bummer, I missed last year too. Was really looking forward to seeing everyone.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

What does BAA do with throwaway clothes on the course? Do they collect and donate them?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

KMB

I ran the last 9 miles yesterday and the staging of equipment has started along the course.  The construction of the finish area also was starting along Boylston with a couple lanes closed down to build all the scaffolding over the finish line.

What does BAA do with throwaway clothes on the course? Do they collect and donate them?

They donate them.  There are receptacles along the route from athlete's village to the corrals and also secured to the gates in the corrals.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

They donate them.  There are receptacles along the route from athlete's village to the corrals and also secured to the gates in the corrals.

Awesome, thanks. Answers my problem of what to do for the cold morning.

How about items thrown to the side of the race course, if I need to do that?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

xhristopher

Awesome, thanks. Answers my problem of what to do for the cold morning.

How about items thrown to the side of the race course, if I need to do that?

First things first. "Cold morning" and "problem" do not belong in the same sentence when talking about the Boston Marathon.

About your stripping in public... I'd think you better toss your clothes at a water or aid station if donation is a concern. Otherwise it's probably gonna swept up after the parade goes by.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

First things first. "Cold morning" and "problem" do not belong in the same sentence when talking about the Boston Marathon.

About your stripping in public... I'd think you better toss your clothes at a water or aid station if donation is a concern. Otherwise it's probably gonna swept up after the parade goes by.

Okay, good info, thanks!  The temps look like they will be perfect for marathonin', I'm just concerned about DYING OF FROSTBITE!!!! in the 40-degree temps waiting on the start.

I'm from Texas, see.

Anyway, next question: I got an e-mail from Marathonfoto about the "pre-event" offer of all my race pics for download, along with I think some kind of plaque for $130.  I'm not gonna lie, being that this will likely be my only Boston, I am and will be an easy target for all the paraphernalia that goes along with it, and I'd planned on paying whatever exorbitant amount they were charging for the race pics.  That being the case, $130 seems cheap - about in line with what they usually charge for other, "mere mortal" races.  Am I missing something?  How much do they usually charge for that package after the race?

xhristopher

Okay, good info, thanks!  The temps look like they will be perfect for marathonin', I'm just concerned about DYING OF FROSTBITE!!!! in the 40-degree temps waiting on the start.

I'm from Texas, see.

Anyway, next question: I got an e-mail from Marathonfoto about the "pre-event" offer of all my race pics for download, along with I think some kind of plaque for $130.  I'm not gonna lie, being that this will likely be my only Boston, I am and will be an easy target for all the paraphernalia that goes along with it, and I'd planned on paying whatever exorbitant amount they were charging for the race pics.  That being the case, $130 seems cheap - about in line with what they usually charge for other, "mere mortal" races.  Am I missing something?  How much do they usually charge for that package after the race?

Bring a contractor garbage bag and wide mouth empty gatorade bottle. Use the bag to sit on in the village and then wear the bag to keep warm at the start. It should be opaque. This is very important if you wish to make use of your gatorade bottle.

Dunno but photos. My guess is that they will probably offer you a promo sometime after too. If you don't buy them right away they will try to sell them to you for years.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

I can't make it. Sorry.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Bring a contractor garbage bag and wide mouth empty gatorade bottle. Use the bag to sit on in the village and then wear the bag to keep warm at the start. It should be opaque. This is very important if you wish to make use of your gatorade bottle.

Dunno but photos. My guess is that they will probably offer you a promo sometime after too. If you don't buy them right away they will try to sell them to you for years.

Wait...are you saying they don't have porta-potties in the athlete's village?

Also...I feel certain I've tracked other runners at this thing before, but I can't find "runner tracking" on the BAA website.  Am I missing it?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wait...are you saying they don't have porta-potties in the athlete's village?

There are many in athlete's village and many more (almost all vacant in my experience) on the way to the starting line.  I never felt the need to wear my own porta-potty.