Completely new to running - need some motivation and advice (Read 140 times)

SKT

I have decided to do some changes to my lifestyle, and some of these changes will be done in the food and fitness areas. So, as you might have guessed, I have decided to start running.

I have been in good shape all my life, with hiking and cross country skiing as my hobbies. The last years have however been really stressful and I have succumb to a more relaxed lifestyle in my spare time. Basically I have gone form hiking and skiing to relaxing with a beer. Lately I have noticed the effects on my body to well, and it is now time for a change. I want to again be able to do the hikes I used to, lose at least 10 kg and of course be a better runner.

Today I went out for my first run. I didn't know what to expect, but even with no expectation I felt really miserable with the result:

Distance: 6.65 km

Elevation: 202 m

Time: 44:07

Average bpm: 174

Maximum bpm: 192

I was not trying to go fast, but I still don't think I could have gone any faster.

What is the best way forward? I'm thinking to go slow and let the body build up before pushing to hard, but if I go much slower I'm no longer running. I have read a lot about running, and I think I have a pretty good idea of how to get better, but most of the beginners tips are either for people who can't run at all or people who are already able to push some times. My goal is to enter a 10km race in one year and not be embarrassed by the result.

Thanks for all replies.

English is not my native language, so sorry for any mistakes. I hope it was understandable. 

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

That is pretty far if you haven't done anything for a few years.

Just start with running 3 -4 days a week  easy.

Don't worry about time.

Also age,height and weight ?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Seattle prattle

Hey, good for you!

Two thoughts, perhaps even truisms, if you will.
        First, just keep running. Consistency is very important, and you develop and progress most just by continuing with it. WIth that in mind, make sure that what you choose to do is still fun and you enjoy it.Improvements come with time, and often you just need to trust that it will.

That said, the information necessary to grow as a runner is rather vast. Best bet, if you can, is to read books on training strategies and join a running group. In the mean time, as you digest the input from them, just keep running since it does get easier and your body and mind adapts to the new exercise.

Rusty C

For me, I tend to flounder unless I'm working on a training plan.  Then I'm committed to it.  So my suggestion would be to sign up for a 10k or 1/2 and find an easy plan to stick to for your current condition.  Good luck.  Also found a good book.  "The NonRunners Marathon Training Guide".  Got me to my first marathon

SKT

Thanks for your advice.

I'm 30 years old, 175 cm high and probably around 75 - 80 kg.

Would you suggest going for shorter runs more often or fewer longer ones? I feel that I need to build up some sort of base before running 4 times a week is profitable...unless I go for short easy runs.

Booyah!

As Seattle said, your body needs time to adapt, so consistency is key. I wouldn't even worry about speed at this time, I would work on a good base mileage. A lot of beginners do too much too fast and end up getting injured. Just do shorter runs at a comfortable pace. You can add a little distance periodically to one of your runs as your body adapts.

I don't normally train by HR but I have a ballpark idea. If those #'s are correct, you are probably running too fast. 174bpm for me would be for intervals. A 192bpm would be an all out sprint. My normal comfortable pace runs are in the 145bpm range. Good luck & stick with it.

PR's:

5K- 20:15 (2017)   HM- 1:39:38 (2012)    FM- 3:26:53 (2016)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Good for you to get out there and set a goal.

I started five years ago and my first run wasn't even 2 miles, so you're not in bad shape.  As others have said, don't worry about speed for now.  Build up a base of miles run at an easy pace.  If you can't manage four days a week, maybe you're pushing too hard on the other days.  After you've been running easy for a couple months, then you might think about some faster running once a week or so, but even then, the majority of your miles should be easy.  I know, it sounds strange that you run slowly to get faster, and it took me a while to accept it, but it's true.

Good luck and keep runnning.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

an amazing likeness

Running is basically XC skiing without poles in terms of aerobic workload and build-up.  Apply the same build-up approach as you have in the past to your XC or hiking: start slow, add distance, push a bit, then recover, time on your feet counts more than speed or distance.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SKT

If those #'s are correct, you are probably running too fast. 174bpm for me would be for intervals. A 192bpm would be an all out sprint. My normal comfortable pace runs are in the 145bpm range. Good luck & stick with it.

I think they are. I have always had quite high heart rates, but I might still be going too hard.

Today it was no problem feeling that my body needed some rest, but I plan on going again tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm alone with the kids, so I'll have to try running with a stroller...probably walking in the steepest climbs.

Running is basically XC skiing without poles in terms of aerobic workload and build-up.  Apply the same build-up approach as you have in the past to your XC or hiking: start slow, add distance, push a bit, then recover, time on your feet counts more than speed or distance.

My cross country skiing have always been in a relaxing, comfortable pace; all about enjoying nature. Of course steep climbs with heavy packing takes some cardio, but I still feel it is a bit different.

SKT

sorry double

an amazing likeness

My cross country skiing have always been in a relaxing, comfortable pace; all about enjoying nature. Of course steep climbs with heavy packing takes some cardio, but I still feel it is a bit different.

Running is about finding a relaxed, comfortable pace and enjoying nature...

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

mta:  This reply is completely non-glib.  Seemingly the most difficult thing to convince new runners that running isn't supposed to be hard every run. For most days it should be approached (in attitude, if not physically) as a good, brisk, walk -- good for the spirit, good for the body.  Training and specific workouts are the exception in that they don't fill every run, every day.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ERDD617

Congrats on embracing a new lifestyle!!!

I've been running for 2.5 years now.  In that time I've gotten into the best shape in my life (at 39 years old!) and completed seven marathons, taking my PR from 3:45 to 3:12.  Training for my eighth now.

Here are a few tips from my experience:

1. Do most of your training SSSLLLOOOWWWLLLYYY.  How slowly? So slowly that if you're running with a buddy, you can carry on a conversation - so-called "conversational" pace.  So slowly that you start to wonder if it's "doing anything" for you.

2. Likewise, increase your mileage SSSLLLOOOWWWLLLYYY.  The vast majority of running injuries I've seen (for myself and for running buddies) come from jumping up in weekly mileage too quickly.  Adding a couple of miles every few weeks is a very conservative, safe approach.

3. Mix it up.  Explore different routes, workouts, times of day, etc.  You'll be less inclined to lose interest or skip days if it's new and exciting every day.

4. Appreciate that some workouts will feel great, but others will feel terrible and make you want to crawl back into bed.  THOSE are the workouts that really count!!!

5. ENJOY it.  We're extremely lucky to have the health, safety, and leisure time to be able to run!  Don't get too wrapped up in tracking mileage or forcing yourself to hit numbers (run without GPS or gadgets, or even music, on occasion).

Good luck to you!!!

FM PR: 3:45 3:23 3:21 3:15 3:12 (Sept 2017)

paul2432

Is this a flat run at an elevation of 202m or a hilly run with 202m of gain over the run?

If it is a hilly course, your times are already decent (especially if you are female), certainly nothing to be embarrassed about.  You'll be a lot faster on a flat course.

My advice is that if your goal is to hike, spend a fair amount of time hiking.  Even if your goal is to run, hike the uphills.  Many folks underestimate how taxing hills can be.

Most important is to enjoy yourself, both because enjoying yourself is good in and of itself, but also because you are more likely to stick with it if you are enjoying yourself.

strambo

Runing ~4 miles after a few years off the couch, yeah it's normal you'd feel like crap during and after.  Good news is you're young, you'll regain fitness quick.

My advice would be to do 3x easy runs per week of 2-3 miles (3.5-5k) and 2 days a week do a strength training circuit.  Not sissy weights, medium weights/resistance for 6-12 reps.  No gym needed either, with a pull up bar you could do variations of push ups, pull ups, squats, bridges etc.

Do this for a month and you will lay in a solid base of well-rounded strength and cardio fitness.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This sounds like good advice.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.