Plantar fasciitis (Read 2599 times)

Prince of Fatness

These little Nashole spats that spill out here are very entertaining.  Keep it up folks.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

And I just ran a couple of miles barefoot.  No PF.  YMMV.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

Oh, sorry Tanya. Jeff has just gotten me cranky with his attempts at an ad hominem argument.  Deal is, for PF, there is really no science, but a load of anecdotes. If one thing does not work, try something different.  That said, there are several biologically plausible proposed mechanisms for what causes and cures PF, and there are excellent models with other orthopedic overuse injuries.  Typically, other than for bone fractures, time off does not solve the problem.

Sorry, no ad hominem intended. If you think you had a bad case of PF from one run, and you believe that one barefoot run can cure a bad case of PF, you have no idea what PF is.

I don't know how that's an ad hominem argument, unless your identity is bound up in having knowledge about PF.

MTA: I guess I can see why Trent is mad, maybe I misunderstood his post. Maybe he didn't mean to say that he had a bad case of PF, only a light case of PF, and if that's the case I apologize for misunderstanding. I didn't mean to cause a "spat" or to pile on. (Well, maybe I was piling on a little.)

A Saucy Wench

My heel hurt this morning after cycling yesterday.  Biking is bad for PF.    ymmv

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

keeponrunning

These little Nashole spats that spill out here are very entertaining.  Keep it up folks.

+1.

And Tanya's puking pumpkin is back Big grin  That makes me happy.  Or maybe I'm just a little sleep-deprived.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

My PF was better this a.m. after reviving the puking pumpkin 48 hours ago. YMMV.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

taking a break from puking up pumpkin seeds would help.

anecdotally speaking, of course.

You're saying your PF got better between last Halloween and this summer?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Reviving this thread to ask a specific question:  I have the Strassburg Sock, but it is causing top of the foot pain. A friend of mine told me this morning that he had good success with the Pro-Tech night splint boot.

Setting aside the weirdness of wearing a boot to bed, has anyone found the boot to be preferable? Useless? Just don't feel like wasting money.

Been self-massaging, using a golf ball, and applying topical NSAIDs, and getting some progress that way.

Oh, someone above said something about giving up coffee? L to the O to the L.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

JML

Funny...I started with the night splint and went to the sock.  I find wearing the sock to be less disruptive to normal sleep.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

BeeRunB

I suggest that PF doesn't need constant stretching  (if any) as it's not a tightness problem. It's an injury. Tried that sock, didn't work. I found that only time and easy strengthening of the feet cured it. I had a brief second bout years later in the other foot when I moved to a place with hardwood floors. Started wearing Crocs around the house instead of going barefoot (as I did when I lived in a place with carpet), and it disappeared quickly.

I ran through both bouts as it never hurt when I ran. It felt better.  Good luck.

JML

I suggest that PF doesn't need constant stretching  (if any) as it's not a tightness problem. It's an injury. Tried that sock, didn't work. I found that only time and easy strengthening of the feet cured it. I had a brief second bout years later in the other foot when I moved to a place with hardwood floors. Started wearing Crocs around the house instead of going barefoot (as I did when I lived in a place with carpet), and it disappeared quickly.

I ran through both bouts as it never hurt when I ran. It felt better.  Good luck.

Well said Jimmyb.  While I agree that PF is generally induced by an injury, I find that the fascia in my foot tightens dramatically over night if I don't wear the sock.   I have also found relief by not going barefoot around the house (particularly during those first very painful steps each morning).  I keep a pair of slip-on Merrel clogs by the bed that I slip on and wear around for the first 30 minutes of the day until my foot is warmed up and loose. 

On the sock,  I have had two bouts of PF.  My left foot flared a few years ago as a result of an injury to my calcaneus.  It resolved over time without any sort of brac or sock.  My current case (in the right foot) seems to like being stretched at night and is slowly improving over time.  The only commonality that I have found with treating PF is that every case is different and that I have had to be willing to try different approaches to make it go away.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Slice

I' dealing with (what I think is) mild PF. I've tried not running, running a little, stretching my calf, rolling my foot on some little torturous contraption, icing my already cold food, NSAIDs...nothing seems to help. I'm convinced it's some sort of curse put upon me by DH for sticking him with the heathens while I ran all those miles.It SUCKS.

I actually do have a question about it though - my cross-training consists of a class that requires a lot of releve' (going up on my tip toes). Could this be making things worse? I would think the releve' is stretching the plantar fascia. Good, no?

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning