Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

Welp, 7 miles at lunch says the ankle is just fine. Whew. Cool
    Run like you stole something.
      Going for sub 19 also this spring. Last fall, I did several in the low 20's and 2 5k's in 19:47 but I have put a lot of miles in Dec, Jan, and Feb and think I can do it. I am 50 years old and intend to eventually go sub 18:00
        I finally got a treadmill! A used one and it was free to boot! Well I ran 4 miles today so although I am far behind where I should be I still have about 9 weeks until racing season and I am beyond ready to put in some good miles! I have uploaded a second video to youtube. This was on August 10, 2008 and was my 2nd sub 20 race...I finished officially in 19:50 on a grassy course while my mileage was way down from the early Summer...I was around 25 mpw at this point but the tons of mileage I ran previous to this led me to a sub 20! I did a somersault at the finish...I finished around the 1:40 mark in this video. My brother in law finished at 27:57 clock time guns it in! You can see him in the red shirt all of a sudden after I glance at the clock around 27:35 then back to him he hits a 2nd gear and just starts blowing past people! The great thing about finishing sub 20 is you don't have to gun it at the end so you feel pretty good ...gunning it at the end gains you 5-10 seconds but you can make up 30 plus seconds if you pace it right during the opening 3 miles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I10fcWjMD_4&feature=channel_page
          angrek - good to hear you can run with no angle pain. charlie - sounds like you are ready to go for it michigan - good to hear you've got a replacement dreadmill. I rely upon it a lot these days to save time (I can watch TV and run at the same time, and be able to clear the recorded TVs on my DVR. I have a bit over two months before Boston. And I will be doing an 8k at the end of this month and a 5k late next month. Training has been going on well. Yesterday, I did my 1st MP run (12 mile MP out of 16+ total) in this training cycle. Wind was gusty (20mph to 30 mph). I did average 7:15 per mile, a bit faster than my original plan of 7:18. I am planning to do my 1st vo2max of this 18 week training cycles tomorrow, but this one should be very manageable.
            Good luck guys with the sub-19's. I'm in the midst of Boston training, but my body is rebelling against me. I've had some good runs, but have developed some nagging pains, with the latest in my knee. I managed 19 on Sunday with 10 @ MP (6:53) and today I did 9.7 with 5 @ LT (6:3x). I was planning on running a 15k and 10k pre-Boston, but we'll see how the knee pain goes... My first 5k sub-19 attempt probably wouldn't be until May/June
              Good luck guys with the sub-19's. I'm in the midst of Boston training, but my body is rebelling against me. I've had some good runs, but have developed some nagging pains, with the latest in my knee. I managed 19 on Sunday with 10 @ MP (6:53) and today I did 9.7 with 5 @ LT (6:3x). I was planning on running a 15k and 10k pre-Boston, but we'll see how the knee pain goes... My first 5k sub-19 attempt probably wouldn't be until May/June
              Hi dcv2002, you have some good nice fast runs. Your MP is like my tempo pace. You are definitely a lot ahead of me. But I thought you got your sub 19 a while ago, right?
                Nope, my PR is still 19:49.7 back in Nov '08. I did run a 3:01 marathon which equates to 18:38(McMillian) to 18:59(Daniels). But equates != actual... I still have to do it in a race. I just hope my body can hold up and I can maintain fitness through the summer. Today's 5 mile LT run matched my 5 mile PR. (Though I have run 32:55 in a 10k).
                JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

We all have no doubt that you can achieve this goal. Have you tried a fast 3 miles lately? I would imagine that your tempo pace is faster than your current 5k pr pace now. Just remember to take it out of 1st gear like I forgot to do on Saturday!
                    Nope, haven't run a fast 3 miles yet or since that race. I did do 5 miles in 33:07 this morning with the first 4 in 26:17. I am planning to run a 15k on 3/22. Pfitz doesn't have any short tempo's. The shortest is 4 miles. My LT pace according to Pfitz should be ~HMP which is 6:36. Which is basically what Daniels says it should be for 30-35 minutes of running...
                      MichiganFlyer - Joined the site today, stumbled onto this thread - I have the same goal right now. Haven't read through all responses but wishing everyone luck. If this is a repeat, sorry, but my advice is to avoid overtraining. My high school and college track careers were all plateaus. Some of my fastest times were in practice. If you back your pace off during some of your training runs - especially the longer days - you'll be fresher for speed workouts and races. Wish I had learned that 5 years sooner than I did. Good luck !
                        I concur that overtraining can really hurt us. For most of us who were not good high school runners and didn't run XC, it is very important to build a strong base. We can do very little speedwork and still improve significantly due to higher volume. When overtrained or getting very tired, cut the speedwork.
                          MichiganFlyer - Joined the site today, stumbled onto this thread - I have the same goal right now. Haven't read through all responses but wishing everyone luck. If this is a repeat, sorry, but my advice is to avoid overtraining. My high school and college track careers were all plateaus. Some of my fastest times were in practice. If you back your pace off during some of your training runs - especially the longer days - you'll be fresher for speed workouts and races. Wish I had learned that 5 years sooner than I did. Good luck !
                          Welcome. I haven't been on here much in the last 6 months since I broke 20 minutes. But after a few months of not much running I have run 4 miles each day the last 4 days (all on a treadmill as this is much easier cushioning than outdoors)...and my mile times are around 9:00. A couple weeks of this and I think I can easily beat 22 minutes in a 5k trial which is my short term goal. I hope to be in the mid 20s by April.
                            Welcome. I haven't been on here much in the last 6 months since I broke 20 minutes. But after a few months of not much running I have run 4 miles each day the last 4 days (all on a treadmill as this is much easier cushioning than outdoors)...and my mile times are around 9:00. A couple weeks of this and I think I can easily beat 22 minutes in a 5k trial which is my short term goal. I hope to be in the mid 20s by April.
                            Hi Michigan, good to hear you are back running. I am not sure if time trial is that beneficial for a 5k goal race. May be you can just keep training and then run a race later.
                              Hi Michigan, good to hear you are back running. I am not sure if time trial is that beneficial for a 5k goal race. May be you can just keep training and then run a race later.
                              Well hopefully it won't really be a time trial but more like an easy tempo 5k where I run a 21:50. I am not intending to run this all out just help me to build more confidence. If I am wheezing after the 1st mile in 7:10 well then I may just bag the attempted sub 22 and run easy the rest of the way.
                                I attempted a sub 22 on the treadmill tonight.... Shy Well I could have done it...I had a nice 1st mile in 7:10. Then at the mile and a half mark my 3 year old daughter peed on the basement floor right in front of me. Shocked Oh well... probably too early to hurt myself this much...I still got my 4 miles in but most of it was easy, I am pretty confident I can break 22 minutes now.....probably in the 21:45 range right now so thats a plus.