Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

kcam

Thanks much. I am still reveling in the accomplishment and doing alot of back patting. Big grin It felt great to bust through this goal (actually my goal for last year). I am very happy with this effort and I am very excited about getting to training. I put down some thoughts about the race this morning in my log entry.
    Nice run, back patting well-deserved! Enjoyed reading your race report. My 5K goal for this year is 18:36 - your exact time in this race. I dunno if I can hit it but it's not out of the question with the right training and a bit of luck. May have to try to duplicate your splits ...
      Heck of race, runInBlack, and to be honest it's really not that big of a surprise. With all the training you've been doing since that 11:36 2-miler back in November it was almost a foregone conclusion that you were going to break 19. The only question was by how much. Great job of pacing under any circumstances, let alone first race of the year. Well done!
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Nice run, back patting well-deserved! Enjoyed reading your race report. My 5K goal for this year is 18:36 - your exact time in this race. I dunno if I can hit it but it's not out of the question with the right training and a bit of luck. May have to try to duplicate your splits ...
        Thanks Ken and glad you liked the report. Best of luck with hitting your 5K goal this year. Your chances will be very good if you hit your other goal of 3000 miles. Keep us posted on the progress.

Ryan

Heck of race, runInBlack, and to be honest it's really not that big of a surprise. With all the training you've been doing since that 11:36 2-miler back in November it was almost a foregone conclusion that you were going to break 19. The only question was by how much. Great job of pacing under any circumstances, let alone first race of the year. Well done!
          Jim, you had a lot more confidence for me than I did. Smile Thanks for the feedback. I held back to 6 X 400m during my Wednesday workout and I think it worked well, putting some pop in my step rather than tiring me out completly. I can get a little bit over zealous at times so I try to keep my eyes and ears open for good advice, plenty to go around in RA. I would like to target sub 18 as my new 2009 goal. Nothing set in stone, but something that I can shoot for. I am targeting a goal race for end of May timeframe, and I am hoping to build on my recent success.

Ryan

gregw

I'm not sure I'm ready for a sub-19 yet, but I'm thinking about making an attempt at a sub-40 10k. Is/was there a thread for this? The search function isn't helping me. I get "not found" search either "sub" or "10k."
              I am also having a problem with the search function. I tried a search for '5k' which I would hope would return a number of threads including this one, but none were found. You may want to post a thread in the 'Technical Support' section. I am not aware of a sub 40 minute 10k thread, at least I haven't seen it come up in the past couple months. It may be that we need a new one. Smile Great race this past weekend, based on that 10 miler time, you in striking distance of both your goals given the right day.

Ryan

Lazy idiot

You need longer search strings. 3 characters is not enough for the search function here at RA.

Tick tock

Casualrunnergal

Hi, I NEED to achieve a 19-minute 5k! I am determined to make my school's ultra-competitive cross country team in the fall. Currently, my time is 25:00 minutes Dead. I don't care if it is unrealistic - I have 5 months, and I would seriously appreciate advice on what sort of training has worked best for you all? Are there particular track workouts that you have found effective? What sort of weekly mileage should I aim for? Basically, any sort of advice or knowledge at all that you can impart would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
                  AleXC94

Hi, I NEED to achieve a 19-minute 5k! I am determined to make my school's ultra-competitive cross country team in the fall. Currently, my time is 25:00 minutes Dead. I don't care if it is unrealistic - I have 5 months, and I would seriously appreciate advice on what sort of training has worked best for you all? Are there particular track workouts that you have found effective? What sort of weekly mileage should I aim for? Basically, any sort of advice or knowledge at all that you can impart would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
                    Actually, I'm in the same exact position as you! (sophomore next year). But for now, 25-35 miles a week should be good enough to keep you in shape. Since high school cross country rarely runs for a longer distance than 5k, if you run any more than 25-35, you're training wouldn't help your 5k time much. You want to incorporate some speed workouts such as fartleks, tempos, and intervals, however you must do a long run to keep your mileage somewhere near 25-35. Every friday(or any other day), you should run a 5k to measure your improvement. Remember improvement is what keeps us motivated! Good luck! PS: You should check if you're school practices over summer (mine does). In case it doesn't you can always join summer running camps/clubs to make your training more enjoyable.
                    gregw

To quote mikeymike from the first page: "Mileage, boys. All summer." (sub "girls" for "boys" though) Seriously though, you can only start from where you are. What are you doing now? There are no magic workouts and with a 25:00 5k, the first-order answer is probably to run more (frequency and duration), but not so much that you get injured. You might also ask the coach what he or she recommends.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Since high school cross country rarely runs for a longer distance than 5k, if you run any more than 25-35, you're training wouldn't help your 5k time much. .
                        Not true. The 5k is almost exclusively an aerobic event. The more miles run, the higher the aerobic development. SO the best recipe to get that time down is to run a lot. Or as we often say on this site: Run a lot. Mostly easy. Sometimes hard. You may want to take a look at the Summer of Malmo. Do this over the summer and you will be way ready for the fall. Don't worry about the (few) specific mileage totals mentioned, just focus on the fact more running (most of easy) will lead to faster running.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

Damn straight. This is my summer of Malmo.
                          Hey look it's almost summer again. (Payback's a bitch.)

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey look it's almost summer again. (Payback's a bitch.)
                            Big grin Nicely done. I expected no less from you.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Casualrunnergal

Thanks for your advice! I am running 30-40 miles/week lately. I ran a marathon in January, so I'm not necessarily a stranger to longer runs/more mileage, just very unfamiliar with trying to do any of it quickly! Unfortunately, the coach is a bit... well, he certainly isn't encouraging, or even particularly friendly. I went today to talk to him, hoping he would be able to give me advice or at least give me the expectations. Well, he did tell me what time I would need, but then he went on for about 5 minutes about how wonderful the people on the team were and how smart and brilliant and all the awards they got in high school (it's a collegiate team). Thank you, Mister! It's so helpful to hear how the team is godly, and relevant to my situation! Grrr. If there are any more suggestions out there, I would appreciate it hugely Smile
                                Had a run today that gives me a good confidence boost. Ran 8 miles at approximately 7:00 pace. Haven't had a run that good in training yet. Legs felt good and think I could have kept at it for a bit more. It was a beautiful day today here in Delaware and got the yard toys out and cut the grass after my run. Feeling good about training. Logging miles is working.

Current Goals: Run and stuff