Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

I made it today in an evening 5K race. Crazy 80 second PR for an 18:20. First half mile is downhill and very fun!   Wished it would have gone on longer. The last tenth or so was downhill as well, which made for a fast finish. Felt really good tonight and was just on for some reason. Got lucky to have legs feeling so ready to go tonight. My previous PR was on a much slower course. So, there's that too.

MTA:  After further review, there is no way my splits could have added up to be fast enough for an 18:20 in a full 5K. It's gotta be short. So, this one doesn't count. Will have to try and get it some other time.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

I made it today in an evening 5K race. Crazy 80 second PR for an 18:20. First half mile is downhill and very fun!   Wished it would have gone on longer. The last tenth or so was downhill as well, which made for a fast finish. Felt really good tonight and was just on for some reason. Got lucky to have legs feeling so ready to go tonight. My previous PR was on a much slower course. So, there's that too.

Congratulations!  I guess you are going to be in the sub 18 group now.

Right on Hereford...

Dude, to go from 19:40 in one 5k to 18:20 in the next is freakin incredible! Nice job, Quint!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I made it today in an evening 5K race. Crazy 80 second PR for an 18:20.

That's an insane PR delta!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

That's an insane PR delta!

Yeah, a little too insane in fact. Course has to be short. The splits didn't add up. Will give her a go on another day. I modified my post.

kcam

What makes you think it was short?  Did you run with a Garmin?  You should ask some of the other runners what they thought.  At any rate, nice race Quint.  Seems like a genuine sub-19 is right around the corner for you.  Certified courses are good!

What makes you think it was short?  Did you run with a Garmin?  You should ask some of the other runners what they thought.  At any rate, nice race Quint.  Seems like a genuine sub-19 is right around the corner for you.  Certified courses are good!

Thanks, I appreciate it. Yeah, I ran with a Garmin and the splits are far too slow to be a legitimate 18:20 for 5K distance. I'm not hanging my hat on the Garmin but it can't be that far off. The split times are just too slow to call it good. Pretty sure the course isn't certified as well. However, it was a good run for me, not to mention fun. First evening race for me too and liked that as well.

jeffdonahue

Yeah, a little too insane in fact. Course has to be short. The splits didn't add up. Will give her a go on another day. I modified my post.

did you try mapping it out on the route mapper here on RA to see if it is even close?  I have found that to be pretty accurate.

did you try mapping it out on the route mapper here on RA to see if it is even close?  I have found that to be pretty accurate.

Actually, I haven't. Might give it a try later. However, I have e-mailed the running company that puts on this particular race series just to see if they have a handle on the distance that we ran that day. Their website claims all their courses are USATF certified but don't see the certification on the USATF site. No reply as of yet. I'm gonna chalk it up as a learning experience and try to be a little smarter next time. An 80 second PR is a little bit too big for my britches and should have occurred to me to question it right away. So, gonna keep chipping away at it. 

18:50 today and I'm keeping this one since it passed the sanity check . Actually had a chance to win my first race this morning. Was outkicked in the last 75 yards by a youngster. I knew it was going to come down to a final sprint since neither of us made a move earlier and we were shoulder to shoulder the whole last mile. I just knew that I was going to beat him in the sprint for the finish. We both took off and gunned it. He crushed me.

MoBramExam

18:50 today and I'm keeping this one since it passed the sanity check .

Quint, another awesome performance!  Your hard work is paying off big-time this year.

Wow!  A great time!  Congratulations on graduating!  What is your next goal?

18:50 today and I'm keeping this one since it passed the sanity check . Actually had a chance to win my first race this morning. Was outkicked in the last 75 yards by a youngster. I knew it was going to come down to a final sprint since neither of us made a move earlier and we were shoulder to shoulder the whole last mile. I just knew that I was going to beat him in the sprint for the finish. We both took off and gunned it. He crushed me.
                            Thanks guys. I wanna get back to logging more miles, shift my focus a bit, and prepare for a November marathon. Might do a 15k about a month before that. BQ is the goal right now. Maybe do 1 or 2 small races per month until then. One of my goals this summer is to find a couple hills and run on them. You can't buy a hill around here.

kcam

Big congrats, Quint!  BTW, I know how it feels to get beaten at the end by a young whippersnapper!
                                Thanks Ken, send me a couple of those Saratoga, or Los Gatos hills while you're at it.