Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

Even though I hate to see some kid outkick an older guy, that 18:50 is definitely something to crow about.

Awesome run!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      Thanks

Current Goals: Run and stuff

gregw

18:50 today and I'm keeping this one since it passed the sanity check . Actually had a chance to win my first race this morning. Was outkicked in the last 75 yards by a youngster. I knew it was going to come down to a final sprint since neither of us made a move earlier and we were shoulder to shoulder the whole last mile. I just knew that I was going to beat him in the sprint for the finish. We both took off and gunned it. He crushed me.

Fantastic.  It seems like you make huge jumps every week!

I will be running a short fun 1500m on the track for fun in 1.5 weeks.  No particular time goal.  Hope to survive the heat in the afternoon.  If I feel good, may try to go for low 5 min, if not, then may be I will go for mid 5 min.

Since I am getting older, I think I am losing more and more short distance speed.  So, may be this is a good chance to set a PR.

jeffdonahue

Not sure I am going to go sub-19:00 but that is my next goal.  I broke the 20 minute barrier last year in July and havent run a 5K since then.  But, since then I have PRed in my marathon by about 45 minutes and put in over 2,000 miles of training. 

I have been doing 2-3 speed sessions per week for the past 6 weeks, just finishing my last one before the race this morning.  Plan now is to do some easy runs between now and the race with some strides on Saturday to wake my legs up for the race on Sunday morning.

The course is a flat, fast course that I have PRed on before.  As long as it isnt 90 degrees I should at least break my PR of 19:50, but I am hopeful to be closer to 19:00 if I can find the right pace going out and hold on.

But, since then I have PRed in my marathon by about 45 minutes and put in over 2,000 miles of training. 

That's huge. Somebody's 5k PR is about to be destroyed.  Good luck.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Good luck to you!

And 45 min PR for a marathon is big!  Congrats.

BTW, I am also running a 5k this week (thanks to Jim) and I will make another attempt to go for sub 19:30.

Not sure I am going to go sub-19:00 but that is my next goal.  I broke the 20 minute barrier last year in July and havent run a 5K since then.  But, since then I have PRed in my marathon by about 45 minutes and put in over 2,000 miles of training. 

I have been doing 2-3 speed sessions per week for the past 6 weeks, just finishing my last one before the race this morning.  Plan now is to do some easy runs between now and the race with some strides on Saturday to wake my legs up for the race on Sunday morning.

The course is a flat, fast course that I have PRed on before.  As long as it isnt 90 degrees I should at least break my PR of 19:50, but I am hopeful to be closer to 19:00 if I can find the right pace going out and hold on.

Please skip this if you have seen it on the sub 20  thread.  Just wanna bump this thread up!

------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I ran a track 5k that Jim told me about.  It was a private 5k organized by a running club in Saratoga, CA.  I arrived at about 7, met some of the members on the track, and just started warming up.

While I was warming up, there was a race for some of the relatively slower runners.  They weren't that slow.  I think the winner probably finished just outside of 20 min.  After I finished warming up, Jim came to say hi.  We've never met but Jim somehow figured it out who I am.  I guess I was the new guy!  He was so nice to introduce me to various folks, including Ken (Nice to meet you).

Weather was good.  Except for some water on the inside lane along one of the curve, the conditions were really good.  I was hoping for a fast finish at 19:30, but I knew my goal was in jeopardy yesterday when my legs were very sore due to intensive training the last few weeks.  I did give it a good run in the 1st mile or so.

When the "gun" sounded, a lot of of folks were really fast.  I was pulled along and ran the 1st 200 in about 44 sec.  That was way too fast, so I slowed down quite a bit to finish the 1st lap in 1:33.  But I probably slowed a little too much, so my 2nd lap was 1:36.  The fast guys were already 100m+ ahead of me, leaving me and another runner about 20m of each other (he was ahead).  I sped up to hope to catch him and draft behind him.  We ran at a pretty good pace for the next couple of laps.  But he slowed down after about 5 laps.  When I realized that, we already ran a 1:36 lap.  I sped up along the curve to pass him, only to be passed by him again in the straight portion.  I stayed behind and hoped he wouldn't slow down again.  Unfortunately, he did.  And the next lap was even slower at 1:37.  I had no choice but to pass him again.  I tried to speed up a little.  But I guess I was either too tired or not in shape, or both, the last few laps were a big stuggle and I finished 19:51.  It is still a PR (by 2 sec) but far from my goal.  I think I am having a plateau now.  I know I can run sub 20 consistently, but probably not ready to go much faster yet.  I hope I can do much better after my Marathon base building phase concludes in a couple of weeks.

I will run the Lake Merritt race again in 2 weeks and hope to do better next time.

Splits are as follows:

1-  1:33
                  2-  1:36
                  3-  1:34
                  4-  1:34
                  5-  1:36
                  6-  1:37
                  7-  1:35
                  8-  1:36
                  9-  1:36
                  10- 1:37
                  11- 1:36
                  12- 1:32
                  last 200-44

I did another 5 mile tempo today.  Since I ran 92+ miles last week including a 21+ miler last Sun, I knew I would be running the tempo a little slower than when I ran it last Tue with fresher legs.

In addition, I had tail wind for the first 2.5 miles going out and head wind for the last 2.5 miles coming back.  This is not ideal.  I normally ran a little slower in the beginning so the wind won't matter much.  I hate the idea of facing bad wind at the end when I am getting tired.

I set my Garmin VP at 6:52/mile.  Going out was pretty comfortable, with the tail wind.  After the turn around point, it became a little bit of hassle.  After 3+ miles, I was thinking that may be I could take it easier today and run only 4 miles for the tempo, since I ran so much last week.

This was the type of thinking I had when I was training for Boston earlier this year, and I decided not to do it again.  If it would take me 7+ min to run the last mile, so be it.  I will finish my workout.  Interestingly, the last mile, I was feeling good and ran the fastest split among my 5 mile tempo, without any struggle at all.

Warmup: 3.72 miles

Tempo Splits:
                    Mile 1: 6:52
                    Mile 2: 6:50
                    Mile 3: 6:50
                    Mile 4: 6:55
                    Mile 5: 6:45
                    Cooldown: 3.52 miles/5.66k

I have another 5k coming up this Sun and will attempt sub 19:30 again.

kcam

I did another 5 mile tempo today.  Since I ran 92+ miles last week including a 21+ miler last Sun, I knew I would be running the tempo a little slower than when I ran it last Tue with fresher legs.

In addition, I had tail wind for the first 2.5 miles going out and head wind for the last 2.5 miles coming back.  This is not ideal.  I normally ran a little slower in the beginning so the wind won't matter much.  I hate the idea of facing bad wind at the end when I am getting tired.

I set my Garmin VP at 6:52/mile.  Going out was pretty comfortable, with the tail wind.  After the turn around point, it became a little bit of hassle.  After 3+ miles, I was thinking that may be I could take it easier today and run only 4 miles for the tempo, since I ran so much last week.

This was the type of thinking I had when I was training for Boston earlier this year, and I decided not to do it again.  If it would take me 7+ min to run the last mile, so be it.  I will finish my workout.  Interestingly, the last mile, I was feeling good and ran the fastest split among my 5 mile tempo, without any struggle at all.

Warmup: 3.72 miles

Tempo Splits:
                      Mile 1: 6:52
                      Mile 2: 6:50
                      Mile 3: 6:50
                      Mile 4: 6:55
                      Mile 5: 6:45
                      Cooldown: 3.52 miles/5.66k

I have another 5k coming up this Sun and will attempt sub 19:30 again.

Exactly.  Congratulations on overcoming the desire to bag the last mile.  We all, I think, have the urge to shorten our quality workouts.  Overcoming that feeling and completing the workout is going to pay off. 

Ken, good to hear from you!

How was Michigan?  Fun?  Tough?

I sent in the membership form and the check to WVJS.  Haven't heard anything back.  Are we also supposed to join the pausatf as well?

Exactly.  Congratulations on overcoming the desire to bag the last mile.  We all, I think, have the urge to shorten our quality workouts.  Overcoming that feeling and completing the workout is going to pay off. 

kcam

Nah, you don't need to join USATF.   Check your spam folder for emails from Walt.  I didn't get a single email after I joined until I realized my spam filter was automatically deleting their emails from my inbox.  DOH!

Michigan was fun ... and tough.  I may have to write a RR!

Definitely waiting to see your RR.

Nah, you don't need to join USATF.   Check your spam folder for emails from Walt.  I didn't get a single email after I joined until I realized my spam filter was automatically deleting their emails from my inbox.  DOH!

Michigan was fun ... and tough.  I may have to write a RR!

C-R

Alright. Been lurking but now figure to get in on the game. Ran my second sub 20 (19:40) today so I guess its not a fluke.

So here's the big question? How does one shave off 45 seconds. I run between 45 and 55 usually with one track workout per week (typically mile repeats - up to four now). Training primarily for marathon and a BQ. What is working for you guys to get those extra seconds?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Alright. Been lurking but now figure to get in on the game. Ran my second sub 20 (19:40) today so I guess its not a fluke.

So here's the big question? How does one shave off 45 seconds. I run between 45 and 55 usually with one track workout per week (typically mile repeats - up to four now). Training primarily for marathon and a BQ. What is working for you guys to get those extra seconds?

Try repeats/intervals of different lengths 400s, 800s, 1200s, or ladders. 

Try tempo runs once/week.  I find these harder (both physically and mentally) than intervals because you're running at a brisk pace for over a mile usually).

IMO, this works for marathon training too so you won't be sacrificing your BQ effort. 

Btw, I see your sig is "carmelrunner." Does Carmel HS still have a great XC program? They dominated when I was in HS and I'm curious if that's still the case.