Looking to peak in 2 weeks (Read 448 times)

I've got my goal race coming up in 14 days on 24 May. It's a 5K I just set a new 5K PB a week ago (17:14) I'd love to beat that, but I highly doubt it. It'll be a lot warmer in Ottawa than it has been here, and I don't race well over 20C. Any suggestions about what to do to maximize performance? My plan for the next bit runs like so: Today: 10-16km (I'm flexible in my plans) Sunday: - long. 20km+ Monday: - 6.5km tempo effort with warm-up & cool-down Tuesday: easy - maybe double Wed: Track pm - easy am? Thurs: easy Friday: easy? - I go on leave but have to do a bunch of paperwork reference my new place as well as start moving Saturday : Moving. Probably not going to find much time to run. Sunday : Here I lose it. Normally I would think long, I'm thinking maybe 10-15km easy instead? Monday: 15-20 min at tempo with WU & CD ? tues: easy wed: quick feet type workout on track, some speed but not too hard thurs: easy/off friday: travel - probably an easy run there somewhere. Saturday: race - CF running champs.
      I tend to race well when I do a long run a week before a 5k. Since I have a 5k on May 18th on May 11th I will do a long run of 8-10 miles at 2:00 slower than 5k pace. It might help. It might not. But it has worked for me in the past so mentally I will feel ready to go on the 18th. Usually 4 days before a 5k I do my last speedwork...but instead of doing 6 X 800 I would do 5 X 800.... I take the 2nd day off before a race just like you intend...then run an easy 4 miles about 24 hours before a race.

The Greatest of All Time

I think you have the right idea with that track workout about ten days out. I go by the 10 day supercompensation rule, or that it takes 10 days to realize the benefits from a hard workout. If you're going gain any race speed it's likely going to come from that workout, so make it a good one! Wink
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.