I feel like I am going to do something stupid (Read 759 times)

TJoseph

I really really want to run today. I have shin splints on the lower inside of both shins. I have taken a week off and they still hurt, but I am pretty sure I could complete a run no problem. I have run through shin splints in the past, but this time the pain (at least in my left leg) is very localized to a spot the size of a dime. I have read that is an indication of a stress fracture. I have not been to the doctor and probably won't. I am 100% sure the doctor would just tell me not to run on it. He wasn't very helpful when I was having knee problems a couple of years ago and couldn't run. Has anyone here had a stress fracture? Is it possible to do a few easy runs a week and still have it heal? I don't have access to a pool for aqua jogging as I live in a remote area in the mountains. Tom

Lia's Daddy

I tried to run on the last stress fracture that I had. Instead of missing 6 weeks I missed 3 mos. I know the feeling of wanting to run but stress fractures are nothing to mess around with in my opinion.
      "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
      TJoseph

Thanks, I went for a long walk and got it out of my system for today.

Bugs

At the Twin Cities Expo there was this chiropractor helping this runner find new shoes so he could run the marathon with a stress fracture. I have no idea where the SF was, but boy seemed stupid to me. I agree yours does not sound like shin splints. Sounds like a great day for a bike ride.

Bugs

Imminent Catastrophe

If it's a stress fracture and you run on it, it will not heal. It will either get worse or be chronic and not heal. It takes 6-8 weeks for a stress fracture to heal, then another 6 weeks for rehab. The more you run on a fracture, the deeper it will get, and the more time it will take to heal. If it's really deep, you will need to be on crutches and/or a cast for it to heal. Don't mess with a stress fracture. Of course, without a bone scan you won't know for sure what it is.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

TJoseph

Thanks everyone. I know what the right thing to do is, but I will have to find a way to maintain fitness for a couple of weeks. I travel for business and and I may be able to find a pool while I am out of town later this week or maybe I can use an elliptical machine at the gym. My bike is in disrepair and can't be ridden right now.