Wilting in the heat like a sad flower (Read 1266 times)

Jazz hands!

Hi everyone! I haven't posted here much, but I remember lots of you from the CR days of yore. Anyway, it is hot here (Los Angeles). I got up this morning at 8am (on a weekend, this is early) so I could get in a run before it got too scorching. By the time I finished I was barely dragging my feet anyway, burning up--and the outside temp. was only about 75. That's not very hot. So, is there anything I can do? I've got the sweat-wicking t-shirt, the shorts, I'm going to get a sun visor sometime, all that. I think the problem is that my internal temperature control sucks. I get hot very easily over 75 and cold below 65. Would hydrating more even more than I already do (which is usually a lot, since I get side stitches easily as well--I'm totally convinced that my body was Not Meant For Athletic Activity) help at all? Any other tricks out there?
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
      So, is there anything I can do?
      Yes! HTFU and GETM! Big grin

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Member Since 2008

Yes! HTFU and GETM! Big grin
        Dido, I concur!

Jazz hands!

haha, I'm trying! Sadly I have blacked out from heat before and would rather not have a repeat, so there is a limit to my HTFU-ing.
            Oh boy do I know how you feel. I'm in N California...just north of Sacramento...aka HELL!! It was 104 here yesterday. I got out on my run by 6:45am to TRY and beat the heat. It was still in the 70's that early. I'm going to try and freeze my water bottle the night before so I have cold water for most of the run. I hate drinking hot water when I'm hot. I also think it's just going to take a little while to acclimate to it. This heat wave came on us really fast. It's supposed to cool off next week, so hopefully we can get in some 60ish degree runs which is perfect to me. Big grin
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Hot weather - hydrate a lot, ease your pace if need be. That's pretty much all you can do. Wake up earlier when it's cooler.

Jazz hands!

Yeah, that's totally what I was afraid of. I guess it's time for my seasonal switch to mostly weekday morning running, with a few evening runs thrown in where I can. I don't currently carry on water on my (meager, 3.5 mile max)* runs, but I guess I should start. * I have sort of a vague plan to increase mileage again (did OHR in november, got tendinitis, took a few weeks off and got new running shoes, have not yet H'ed TF back U) but I keep finding reasons not to. Such as, TOO HOT.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think it's due to reading folks' posts on RA that I've stuck to running this time. What I've learned is that conditions for running are almost NEVER great - there's always some obstacle to overcome. In Maine, we're dealing with cold, snow, wind, and ice (the worst part) a good bit of the year. Then when the weather finally warms up, there are black flies, mosquitos, and humidity! Not to mention hoardes of tourists, but you can avoid them since they stick to the coast, usually. Today, my left quad hurt some, but I ran, anyway. And I'm like you, Squeaky, Not Meant For Athletic Activity (slowest of 200 kids in 8th grade, for example!). It sounds like you might need to get up even earlier if you really want to progress in your running. Good luck!

Jazz hands!

Yeah, I know that my excuses are excuses, though it's frustrating that as soon as it's light past 5pm here, it's immediately too hot too run! In the winter I don't like to run in the early morning because I don't live in the best neighborhood, and when it's dark and deserted at 6am I don't really feel comfortable. I was probably also the slowest kid in 8th grade. The first time I ran a full mile without stopping was during C25K at age 22.
                    kcam

Yeah, I know that my excuses are excuses, though it's frustrating that as soon as it's light past 5pm here, it's immediately too hot too run! In the winter I don't like to run in the early morning because I don't live in the best neighborhood, and when it's dark and deserted at 6am I don't really feel comfortable. I was probably also the slowest kid in 8th grade. The first time I ran a full mile without stopping was during C25K at age 22.
                      75 isn't too hot to run, don't psych yourself out. As someone said earlier, just get out there and run - mabye slower, maybe shorter and maybe earlier and maybe all three - but get out and run. I do feel your pain about being a little scared in a not-so-good neighborhood but feel reassured that scumbags generally aren't out at 6AM. It's the hardworking, honest people in the neighborhood and other runners up and about at 6AM.

325th place or bust!

Hey Squeaky, I can sympathize with you. I live a bit south of you in Orange County and had a similar thing happen today. Was planning on a long, slow run of 6 miles (my longest) but didn't get out of the house until 8am when it was 75 and sunny. I was ok until about 2.5 miles in and then I really started feeling bad. Some past bad health incidents made me decide to walk the 1/2 mile home. Do you drink soft drinks? I had succumbed to the allure of a Diet Coke yesterday and that seems to really cause me problems exercising for the next day. I haven't been able to prove that it's the cause but it's happened enough to make me think it might be. This time of year we need to get out really early or late to avoid the heat. Or really be able to HTFU and tough it out... Big grin

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Wicking fabric can only do so much, wake up really early and run nekkid. Clowning around

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Jazz hands!

Nudity is not an option! And running in only a sports bra sounds... weird. Thanks for the advice, everyone! I was hoping for some magic bullet ("If you cross your fingers, keep a river pebble in your key pocket and wear fuschia running shorts on hot days, you'll be fine") but it's back to the get up earlier/hydrate hydrate hydrate hydrate/HTFU, wimp!
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Alex, I can totally sympathize. I don't handle heat well. At all. Add humidity and I am really a wuss...but humid air also wreaks havoc with my asthma, so that's a pretty danged good excuse...hard to run well when one can't breathe. Honestly, I would rather run when it's 10º out than 80º. When it gets much above 70 or so I really have to slow things down. I am astounded by folks who can run outdoors when it's 90 and above. I would be physically ill. In the Summer my 2 hour runs are usually pretty rough for the last half hour...chills, goosebumps, nausea are all common feelings during my long Summer runs, even with plenty of fluids (I sweat a lot, so I think I tend to lose fluids faster than I can replace them). Not sure how I'm gonna do marathon training--right now the plan is to be home by lunch time, to avoid the worst heat and sun of the day.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I am also a wuss in heat...acclimation is a big deal. If you run in heat regularly your body will handle it better. I run in sub 50 nearly year round, so the occasional 75+ run really hurts. Last year I went for walks in peak heat as many days as possible and it seemed to help when it came time to run.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7