Star runner, 8 months pregnant, competes in 800 meters at U.S. championships (Read 188 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

She's still running an 800 nearly twice as fast as me.

Latent Runner

She's still running an 800 nearly twice as fast as me.

There are some amazing runners out there; in my last race, a 5-miler, I got soundly beaten (by like four minutes) by a guy pushing a "double-wide" stroller with two kids in it.  Even more impressive (to me at least), as I was climbing a small hill at the 2.5 mile mark of that same race, I managed to catch and pass a 70-year old woman.  I waited around at the finish until she crossed; her final time was just over thirty-eight minutes!  She's my new hero.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Just a dude.

My only question is if her participation caused some other runner with a provisional qualifying mark to not get to compete. I understand that she earned her spot and can run. But if someone else who could have actually been competetive was sitting at home because she decided to run, that would have been a bit selfish in my opinion.

I don't know that this is the case. Maybe all who had a qualifying mark participated.

Otherwise, yeah. If I was in that race, I probably would have lost to an 8 months pregnant woman.

I better go for a run... ;-)

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

My only question is if her participation caused some other runner with a provisional qualifying mark to not get to compete. I understand that she earned her spot and can run. But if someone else who could have actually been competetive was sitting at home because she decided to run, that would have been a bit selfish in my opinion.

There are some people complaining for this reason.  But it appears they took women far outside the standard already, so that one spot didn't mean much (and she DID have the standard).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

There are some people complaining for this reason.  But it appears they took women far outside the standard already, so that one spot didn't mean much (and she DID have the standard).

If everyone who could have realistically competed got to run, then I am cool with that.

If nothing else it gets the sport of Track and Field some much needed publicity.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I don't think any provisional athletes got bumped. And as last year's winner she deserves a bye. (and they do that with Olympic Trials marathons). Past champs can enter without a qualifier.

70 yr old woman running 38? That's a 95% age grade, relatively speaking at the level of someone like Jordan Hasay!

Even more galling, I didn't know the championships were going on.  Nice work, USATF marketing!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

delicate flower

This is awful...how come I can't run that fast?

<3

Feeling the growl again

Even more galling, I didn't know the championships were going on.  Nice work, USATF marketing!

They are still too busy trying to figure out the DQ situation from Indoor Championships.  I'm sure the marketing for this one will come out a couple months from now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Not enough estrogen, for one thing.

This is awful...how come I can't run that fast?

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                      Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

The US championships are almost always held during the last week in June. If the Olympics are earlier or later than usual they might adjust a week or two either way.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If everyone who could have realistically competed got to run, then I am cool with that.

If nothing else it gets the sport of Track and Field some much needed publicity.

Thanks!

-Kelly

I heard it this morning on NPR.  The bonus in the NPR story was that Montano said she was glad she didn't get lapped. Smile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I thought of this ad when I saw the thread title!

If you've ever been told you hit like a girl, run like a girl, or even drive like a girl, you need to see this.

That's excellent.

I would like to be able to run like Montano, or like a lot of other women I could name.  As it is, I just run like myself. Smile