Hydrating & Refueling on runs (Read 168 times)

MazyRuns

What's the longest you'll go without bringing fuel (Gu, beans, etc) on a run?  Is it really necessary for anything under a half marathon? And what about bringing water? I know I probably should on my longer runs, but I don't.

5K--19:01  10k--40:40   half--1:35:47   full--3:17.28

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Depends on loads of factors:

- heat

- humidity

- effort

- goals

- pre-run hydration/nutrition

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I took water on my 20mi run tonight. But I didn't use it. So it was ... helping anchor me in case of high winds, I guess.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

some call me Tim

What Trent said. You can be hard about it, but IME it's better to have more than enough on hand, particularly if you want to follow a mid to long run with something other than 'collapse on the couch'. Unless there's a specific system you're trying to stress, it's just silly to go without and it needlessly limits what you can do in the rest of your life.

Fwiw, I don't practice fueling for runs under 2h and bring water for anything over 6mi or for any run when temps are 80 or more.

Running from my house I rarely take water or food or gear - runs up to about 1:30-1:45 (usually shorter). There have been some speed work days (<1 hr) in heat and direct sun on calm day where I've either taken water or wished I'd taken water.

Driving to a trailhead and running, I always take water and usually have some food in a pouch (shot bloks, clif bar, or trail mix) which might get used 1 time out of 10. If I'm planning on being out about 3 hr or more, I'll use sports drink. I'm also more likely to take some gear with me - shell, light, whatever. I'll usually eat something on runs that are 3+ hrs. Some runs don't go as planned and "things happen."

This is assuming I'm adequately fueled before heading out, which may or may not happen.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

In decent running conditions I pretty much use 16 miles as my cufoff.   <16 no water or gu etc.   16 or more, and I like to fuel.    Heat and humidity will change that.   If conditions are poor I don't like to run more than 8 miles without water/Gatorade etc.    However, I usually won't take any types of gels unless I am running two hours or longer.

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

Factors vary with fuel & liquid requirements along with climatic conditions. What works for others may not work for you. So take these as suggestions and not hard & fast rules.

During my marathon days I wore a 3 liter camel back on all runs over 3 miles but that was also me adding the weight to the workout. so I could maintain that comfort level on longer runs up to 22 miles. I also had a location and plan to replenish the camel back at about 15 miles due to my water/electrolyte requirements. I would tend to drink as I needed to and not at set points. I also carried a hand bottle in marathons.

Anything over 10 miles I was bringing snack cakes or gels. I found that individual apple pies (Little Debby, Hostess, Drakes, etc) worked as well for me as the GU and similar items.

All I can really say is work out what works for you and keep with it. Unless you are in an Elite level of running don't over complicate the issues and relax as you figure out how your body responds best to food and liquid intake when you run.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

MazyRuns

Cool. I brought water on anything over 8 miles and Gu on anything over 10 miles last year while training for my marathon, mostly because I thougnt I HAD to. This year I haven't been training for anything specific, so I've been super lax. I haven't run with anything except a watch, even on 15+, and honestly haven't missed it. Even in the heat I've been totally okay. I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one going longer without all the stuff all the time.

5K--19:01  10k--40:40   half--1:35:47   full--3:17.28

Feeling the growl again

Per Trent it really depends.  But in general I don't take anything 18 miles and under.  At 20-22 I may take water if conditions are dehydrating enough.  As for fuel...under 2:30, never.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I think planning for a recovery drink/snack within 30 minutes of running is more important than what you eat during your training run. During high heat, I drink when thirsty and the mouth dries out but try not to over do it.  The chocolate milk and/or 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio nutrition seems to help me a lot for my next run....especially as I have gotten older.

Fruchtenstein

I use gels only when racing. On training runs, I prefer running on empty, hoping that that might boost fat metabolism or make some other magic. Water  is a must on longer runs, though. Even in winter.

endlessrun

There's some really long intervals here without water.  You folks must have great self control.  My comfort level for running without water is 3-4 miles.  In a race, I'll go longer because I'm looking to save time.  I'll use energy gels on every run.  I even take them to some exercise classes, like spinning.  As for needing to eat real food, over 2 hrs running is about right.  But, again, in a race like a street marathon I wouldn't stop to eat at all.  In a trail marathon, I definitely would.  My problem with eating & drinking on my runs is that I don't want to carry anything and having to keep stopping at stores is a drag on the run.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I live in a cooler climate and I run early in the morning so the hottest it ever gets when I am running is 70 degrees.  My longest run of the week is 16 miles, shortest is 10 miles.  I don't bring food or water for any of it.  My longest run ever was 26 miles and all I used was water.  I had a small snack before I started.  I have never eaten anything during a run.  But I have also bonked a few times.  Do what works for you.

Leah, mother of dogs