Aqua jogging Help (Read 122 times)

Chi-townRunner

So I read one of the other articles on here in relation to this topic, but I'm still confused as to how I can make the jogging harder. I don't have the money to buy a bungee cord right now, so I'm struggling with how I could make it harder otherwise. I've had one session with my belt and shoes, and I just felt like after "running" for 40 minutes I didn't feel anything, not even out of breath. I went as hard as I could, just feel like it's a little difficult to do in water.

kilkee

runktrun

Are you using the belt to float and pumping your legs more up and down (like high knees marching) rather than in a cyclical running motion?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Chi-townRunner

I am using the belt to do like a cycling motion.

Zelanie

You need to work on having a ridiculously high cadence to get your heart rate up.  Lots and lots of short, hard intervals helps.

danworley

good question.  i too am trying to get a good workout aqua jogging.  I am trying 3 min hard 2 min easy repeat.  increasing total times from 30 min by 5 min each time.  My legs definitely feel it but I don't know that i am getting the heart rate up high enough as well.

kilkee

runktrun

good question.  i too am trying to get a good workout aqua jogging.  I am trying 3 min hard 2 min easy repeat.  increasing total times from 30 min by 5 min each time.  My legs definitely feel it but I don't know that i am getting the heart rate up high enough as well.

then you're probably getting as good a workout as you can in the pool.  I don't think I ever got my HR above 150, no matter how furiously I pumped my legs.

@Chi-town - try marching rather than "cycling" your legs.  You can get a faster cadence if you don't reach your leg out in front of you very far.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Well, you can actually run in the pool without any flotation devices. It's really hard (at least it was for me), but something to consider if you can't get your heart rate up any other way.

runmichigan

Since you are supported by the aqua jogger and the water, you will not be able to get your heart rate as high as you would running (similar to your heart rate will not be as high when you are cycling versus running).  However, that does not mean you are not getting a decent workout.

Couple things, which some have said or alluded to:

1) you need a fast cadence. To do this, you'll need to use a shorter stride. I've found that it helps to imagine sprinting p a steep hill rather than running on flat land.

2). it helps to tether yourself to the side of the poo and have a slight forward lean. Not a lot. Just a little. But, keep your head up and looking forward, and your body in a straight line (don't hunch over).

3) To get the most out of the intervals, cut down on the rest interval... to about 30s. That may  not seems like much, but since you can't get the HR as high, and since you're in cool water, you recover pretty quickly.  Try starting with a session of 30s hard, 30s easy. Repeat at least 10 times.   Next time, go 60s hard, 30s easy.   Each time, increase the work bout time, but keep the rest short.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

2). it helps to tether yourself to the side of the poo and have a slight forward lean. Not a lot. Just a little. But, keep your head up and looking forward, and your body in a straight line (don't hunch over).

This one disturbed me at first.

This one disturbed me at first.

ooops! :-)

danworley

Well, you can actually run in the pool without any flotation devices. It's really hard (at least it was for me), but something to consider if you can't get your heart rate up any other way.

I talked to someone else on doing this and gave it a try.  This increases difficulty of the workout quite a bit.  I am going to go belt free for part of workout   Other suggestions that worked were the shorter 30 sec rest breaks between intervals and the shorter run stroke to get the higher cadence.  I haven't figured out how to tether myself to the backstroke pole yet, but I may try that.  Overall, I am pleased with the aqua jogging to improve my running fitness while easing back into running post injury.  It also beats running in 90 plus degrees with high humidity!  It may be a good alternative on hot humid days even if uninjured!

Blue Rocket

All systems Go!

You don't need a bungee to tether yourself to the pool (or the poo).  I used a simple length of rope with cheap aluminum carabiners on each end. Poly rope is best -- water ski rope, but thinner -- the kind of rope that floats on water. You can get it at any length at a big box hardware store. Poly works best cuz it doesn't absorb moisture and keeps your gym bag dry.

Ditto's on the comments about having a lower heart rate for the same level of perceived exertion. Hydrostatic pressure on the body, buoyancy (gravity assist) and water assisted body temp regulation all help keep the heart rate down -- some claim 15-20 bpm lower. You can still get a good base aerobic workout water running. You might be able to maintain AT and VO2max fitness, but I doubt very much you can improve these factors while aqua jogging. For me it was a matter of working through an injury and water running helped maintain base aerobic fitness, but I did notice other issues once I started running again such as hamstring and IT band tightness. I think too much aqua jogging can instill a certain amount of muscle imbalance in hip flexors, hams and achilles. When you begin running again, take it easy and increase mileage and pace gradually.

Good luck!

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

So glad I could help! Happy running! --Christine

I talked to someone else on doing this and gave it a try.  This increases difficulty of the workout quite a bit.  I am going to go belt free for part of workout   Other suggestions that worked were the shorter 30 sec rest breaks between intervals and the shorter run stroke to get the higher cadence.  I haven't figured out how to tether myself to the backstroke pole yet, but I may try that.  Overall, I am pleased with the aqua jogging to improve my running fitness while easing back into running post injury.  It also beats running in 90 plus degrees with high humidity!  It may be a good alternative on hot humid days even if uninjured!

I just use a plain rope too.

One benefit of using a bungee though is if you're trying to do a workout at various intensity levels. You can gauge how far the bungee stretches from work bout to work bout to know if you're giving the same effort.  For me, that's too technical for what I'm trying to get out of aqua jogging.

You don't need a bungee to tether yourself to the pool (or the poo).  I used a simple length of rope with cheap aluminum carabiners on each end. Poly rope is best -- water ski rope, but thinner -- the kind of rope that floats on water. You can get it at any length at a big box hardware store. Poly works best cuz it doesn't absorb moisture and keeps your gym bag dry.

Ditto's on the comments about having a lower heart rate for the same level of perceived exertion. Hydrostatic pressure on the body, buoyancy (gravity assist) and water assisted body temp regulation all help keep the heart rate down -- some claim 15-20 bpm lower. You can still get a good base aerobic workout water running. You might be able to maintain AT and VO2max fitness, but I doubt very much you can improve these factors while aqua jogging. For me it was a matter of working through an injury and water running helped maintain base aerobic fitness, but I did notice other issues once I started running again such as hamstring and IT band tightness. I think too much aqua jogging can instill a certain amount of muscle imbalance in hip flexors, hams and achilles. When you begin running again, take it easy and increase mileage and pace gradually.

Good luck!