Suggestions please on increasing to 20 miles or more per week... (Read 222 times)

mk885

Hi

I am looking for suggestions on increasing mileage to 20 miles or more per week.

I currently run 3x a week with 2 shorter runs (3.5 to 4.5) during the week and slightly longer run on weekend (7 to 9)

I have been averaging between 12 to 15 miles per week for a few months.

I like having flexibility, if possible, of taking additional rest day if required due to commitments that limit available time during work week.

What are thoughts on increasing runs during week vs longer run on weekend or alternative approach to increasing mileage?

Thanks for help...

It's difficult to improve when running only three days per week.  Also, your long run is about half your weekly mileage.  That's too many miles at one time for your base mileage.

I recommend adding one more short run of about 4 miles now, and then another similar run.  Then you will be getting enough base miles to get proper benefit from your 7 to 9 mile long run.  Definitely do not make your long run longer at this time.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I think JR answer was right. Adding a fourth day is going to be more benefit to you than stretching that long run. Do you have an end goal in mind? What is special to you about the 20 mile weekly total?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've done it as 6-7-7. When I did that it was not ideal, but I wanted to get to 20. A lot depends on how much time you have available.

On 4 days, 20 miles is 4 5 mile runs.

SMART Approach

3-4, 5-6, 3-4, 7-9. You definitely need 4 days per week. What are your goals?  Put a couple more miles in a mid week run and if you want to do some tempo miles, do them in middle of that mid week run.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

hectortrojan

To reach the goal of running 20 miles a week I would

add one more day a week

if not, I would increase weekly runs up to 5-6 miles and rest mileages on the weekend

most important thing is to do what works best for you. if you like only 3 runs a week, keep it that way. No point in adding one more day by disturbing your schedule and you not able to do things that you enjoy doing.

mk885

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

My end goal is to keep running multiple times a week injury free for many, many years.  I would like to extend my long run to at least 12 or 13.

If I can up my distances sufficiently to participate in some longer races, that would also be good but not primary driver.

It looks like most suggestions are to add a day a week and therefore proceed similar to:

Tue-     3

Wed-   4 or 5

Fri-       4

Sun-     9 or 8

My concern with 4 days, which it seems, I might need to just deal with, is that I lose the flexibility of changing when I run during the week and possibly on the weekend eg if I have to do my long run on Saturday because family plans on Sun or hike then I can make sure I run Tue, Thur, Sat;  if I have early work on Tuesday and Sunday available then I can run Wed, Fri, Sun...  gives more flexibility.

Alternatively, possibly, I can stay on 3 runs, then:

Tue or Wed-  4     or  5

Fri-                   6    or  5

Sun-                10

This seems like it could be problematic as most of miles come Fri and Sun.

Thoughts?

Thanks again- really appreciate the advice.

Thanks again,

Mike

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Alternatively, possibly, I can stay on 3 runs, then:

Tue or Wed-  4     or  5

Fri-                   6    or  5

Sun-                10

This seems like it could be problematic as most of miles come Fri and Sun

My issue with this three days a week is that your long run is half your mileage.  Time on your feet is key to supporting that long run. I think you need that fourth run per week if the mileage really is important to you. I don't see 12 or 13 mile long runs on three days a week at any point without injury following. A fourth day is going to give you more flexibility.

Bottom line is simple. If you want to run, then run. If you want a certain mileage, then you have to make room for it. If you want to run and hike or swim or bike or whatever else, then you prioritize and pick what to do. You can't shortcut training long term.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't think running close to half your mileage on one day is all that bad when you run only 3 days per week. It's impossible to keep it at the oft recommended 25-30% of weekly mileage. I think you should add a 4th, and if possible a fifth day of running. This should actually give you more flexibility because it's not as important if you miss one day out of five as it is one of four or one of three. As you increase the number of days running, the percentage of that for your long run should drop. With 4 days of running I suggest a maximum of 40% and with 5 days, a maximum of 35%.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

My end goal is to keep running multiple times a week injury free for many, many years.  I would like to extend my long run to at least 12 or 13.

My concern with 4 days, which it seems, I might need to just deal with, is that I lose the flexibility of changing when I run during the week and possibly on the weekend eg if I have to do my long run on Saturday because family plans on Sun or hike then I can make sure I run Tue, Thur, Sat;  if I have early work on Tuesday and Sunday available then I can run Wed, Fri, Sun...  gives more flexibility.

Keep in mind that the guidelines about length of long run vs weekly miles are based on averages.  There is nothing wrong with running 20 MPW for several weeks, missing a couple of runs, and then running a 9 mile long run in a 12 mile week.

The key is averages.  If you average 20 MPW. then you should be in shape to run a 7 to 9 mile long run any time you want.  If you want to do 12 or 13 mile long runs, first get your average up to 30 MPW.  The total distance and time are important, the particular days you run and the length of each run are far less important.