Mainstream, Baby! (Read 177 times)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I had to Google it but Urban Dictionary set me straight:

1. mainsteam

Any half-hearted and disingenuous attempt by the mainstream to pass itself off as new, nonconformist, or anti-establishment. 

vb. mainstream ("normal", trendy, majority, conformist, establishment) + steam (to let off steam or relieve pressure)

"GAP is donating half of the sales on red items to support Women's Rights in the Third World!" 
      "They're just mainsteaming. don't believe that crap." 
      "I went to a hippie festival last month to check out the scene, but I realized I was just mainsteaming. I don't actually understand their deal."

Runners run

Okay well, I am now going fix the subject title.

Few things more embarrassing than exclaiming a typo.

MTA: RUDE

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The big story is the story itself: an American woman runner featured on 60 Minutes.

Shalane Flanagan will probably (although not definitely) be the first American at Boston, but a win is a long shot. She's the best American distance runner right now at 10K and up, and that 47:00 American record 15K last month is outstanding, but she just hasn't broken through at the marathon, even though she's run several good ones over the past 4-5 years.

2:25 and 3rd or 4th

Desi Linden 2:27 and 6th

BeeRunB

The big story is the story itself: an American woman runner featured on 60 Minutes.

60 minutes once had a story on Pam Reed and Dean Karnazes. That's the only running one I can remember where they at least focused partly on a female runner.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-toughest-race/

MrH

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I thought it was a nice profile.  My non-runner DW enjoyed it, too.