Umbilical Hernia (Read 539 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I was born an innie (belly button, that is). Over that last several years, my innie has turned into an outie. I don't know if it's due to weight gain, constantly lifting little bundles of joy, or a combination. It's an umbilical hernia. It's not very big at all, but if I push in on it, I can feel "stuff" move. Dead Does anyone have any insight/experience on these things? I'm wondering: 1) As I continue to lose weight (dropped about 10lb since X-mas), will it get smaller? It see,s like it has shrunk a little. 2) Will it get worse if I try to do ab work? 3) At this point, if I had it worked on, it would be for purely cosmetic reasons, so I'm not doing anything. Is it something that will eventually get worse and inevitably need to be fixed in the future? Thanks, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1) As I continue to lose weight (dropped about 10lb since X-mas), will it get smaller? It see,s like it has shrunk a little. -No, but it will cause less trouble. 2) Will it get worse if I try to do ab work? -should not. 3) At this point, if I had it worked on, it would be for purely cosmetic reasons, so I'm not doing anything. Is it something that will eventually get worse and inevitably need to be fixed in the future? -maybe. In general, umbilical hernias are an annoyance, but are not dangerous.
        Gross - but yes. I had an umbilical hernia repaired about 7 years ago. I had an inginual (sp?) hernia repaired last year. Nasty stuff - my insides are trying to escape. The umbilical hernia was brought about and worsened by having 3 children from 1991 through 1995 - and then the other hernia was aggrevated by having yet a fourth (and FINAL) child in 2001. I had my umbilical one repaired because it started to always burn (odd). Plus, it was getting worse as time went on. I would totally gross out my children when I described how I could push it in and then it would pop back out. Quite disturbing. The scar is hardly noticeable at this point. The scar from my other hernia is more obvious. Funny since the doctor joked about not being able to tell she was even there. So much for that theory. I now have another inginual hernia on the other side, but I won't worry about it until it gets a little bigger. It has gotten bigger with all the ab work I was doing so I've slowed up on that a little. The repaired umbilical hernia doesn't bother me and shows no signs of returning at this point.

Michelle

Jeff, I worked for a general surgeon for 8+ yrs & saw a million umbilical hernias, so you are talking right up my alley! Smile I ditto everything Trent said (he's the doc after all!), however, I would like to add that if it gets any bigger, even if it is not painful, getting it repaired is a good idea. Even when they aren't painful, we don't consider a hernia repair cosmetic. I have seen a number of incarcerated umbilical hernias that involve the omentum or the bowel. Do NOT let this scare you, yours doesn't sound big & scary...just be aware that if it becomes larger or symptomatic, I highly recommend having it repaired. Of course, I worked for a surgeon & we have the general rule of: when in doubt, cut it out!! Big grin
          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3