What gets you geeked up the most for running? (Read 817 times)

I'm just curious. If you had to name only *one* thing that makes you happiest about your running, that keeps you going out there day after day, what would it be? It can be anything...emotional, tangible items, physical gains, etc. Is it hard to choose? For me, I'm going to have to say the total calm that I get from going out on the trails "away from it all"; total relaxation!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Races. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Running makes me feel powerful. Doesn't matter how slow I go. Coming back in from a good run just makes me feel like I can do anything.
          Finding that new gear that I think is my best... but then a few days later feeling like I am going faster than ever... Oh, and possibly knowing that every mile I run is a mile farther away from a treadmill!
            The wind in my hair and Trophies! Cool

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

The feeling of accomplishment. Big grin

Michelle

For me it's the knowledge of how much I've redefined myself. Less than a year ago I weighed 275 pounds and couldn't really even walk for more than 20 minutes. Yesterday I ran seven miles. It's such a good feeling to know you can redefine yourself at any stage in your life. After going from an obese couch potato to becoming a runner, I don't really need anything else to geek me up for it. I'm definitely hooked.
                  For me it's the knowledge of how much I've redefined myself. Less than a year ago I weighed 275 pounds and couldn't really even walk for more than 20 minutes. Yesterday I ran seven miles. It's such a good feeling to know you can redefine yourself at any stage in your life. After going from an obese couch potato to becoming a runner, I don't really need anything else to geek me up for it. I'm definitely hooked.
                  Lisa, that is so AWESOME!!!
                    Redefine - I love that!! Congratulations too! Smile

Michelle

Knowing how GOOD I'll feel when I finish my run ... even after a crappy run, the post run glow cannot be beat!
                      2009: BQ?
                        Knowing that I'm setting an example for my kids.
                        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                        muse_runner

keep running.

I like getting out every day to run before work and coming back knowing that I have a physical and mental edge on everyone for the rest of my day. Running relieves my body of toxins and clears the cobwebs from my mind. How awesome can that be day after day?!?! Smile
                          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                            Running is in my blood! Dh is right when he says I'm a junkie and running is my fixx. It's as simple as that

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

other runners! i am not the most social person-- i do my thing, and then i do more of my thing, generally-- but something happens to me when i meet and become friends w/ another runner. i start talking, eating, sleeping running-- its so motivating to be a motivator for someone else! there is nothing as comforting after a bad race as the understanding nod from someone who's also had a bad race (and knows how it feels so disappointing and so motivating to do better on your next), and there is nothing as thrilling as taking on a trail or route or race that another runner has recommended to you b/c s/he knows exactly what kinds of challenges you're game for and excited about. i f*cking love it. ps HI i don't have a lot of internet time but i love this place
                              x-country_grl

I love the calm-ness of running.I run in the woods so its nice to be able to actually think about stuff w/o interuptions. I also get excited about the races cause u meet so many new people to go running with. Running w/new people w/ differant paces ,helps u to be able to flex ur pace from recovey to race really quick w/o asweat!!!!! Wink