new (Read 1202 times)

tikime

Hi, I am new to this website and I'm looking for support. I used to love to run when I was younger and now, its hard with all the weight I've gained. Is there any advice on what I should do to start off with?
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

If you are just starting to run again, Couch to 5K is a program that will help you get running. it's a 9 week/ 3x per week program. 

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

We even have a group here for runners who are doing C25k. Smile

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/C25K

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

tikime

Thank you so much! I miss running and life doesn't seem the same without it

Welcome, Running can be a great help in losing any unwanted weight, I know a bunch of folks who have lost 80-100 lbs after taking up running.  The first 6 months or so can be frustrating to not being able to run continuously,  but it will get easier, just have to keep lacing up the shoes and getting out as regularly as one can

Welcome! Lots of good support here. Smile

welcome!!

do what happyfeet said + dont worry at all about pacing at this point.  its mostly about consistent time on feet.  as far as losing weight, just like any kind of fitness routine, proper eating habits like quality/quantity  (not going to say diet because it is not about dieting!) is 100 % important!

good luck & get out there.  yeah for you!

Gstrobe188

I used running to quit smoking. What I found the worked best for me was to set a distance goal. Start out with a nice easy run for a comfortable distance. Then each run try to make it to the next marker(tree, fence post , or corner). I quit smoking in February and I now have 4 5K's under my belt with a best time of 23:53. Good luck, have fun, and take it one day at a time and don't push yourself to hard or you will get burnt out.

5k 22:22, Quarter Marathon 52:45, Mini Duathlon 1:00:14

Roadrunner's Apprentice

From personal experience I can vouch for Couch to 5K.  I was literally doing nothing before starting that interval training.  The whole point of it is to build you up gradually, and doing it that way over time rather than too much too quick works. 

I started running to drop weight and get in shape.  I really disliked running before trying Couch to 5K and now I love it.  Down 15+ pounds from where I was 18 months ago, and counting...

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

Probably helpful to set specific goals for running and weight loss as this will keep you motivated.

Not ultimate goals, but interim goals which are reachable within a reasonable period of time and are "milestones" showing your progress.

Keep up the dialogue with people on this board, lots of supportive, generous people here.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I used running to quit smoking. What I found the worked best for me was to set a distance goal. Start out with a nice easy run for a comfortable distance. Then each run try to make it to the next marker(tree, fence post , or corner). I quit smoking in February and I now have 4 5K's under my belt with a best time of 23:53. Good luck, have fun, and take it one day at a time and don't push yourself to hard or you will get burnt out.

I used running runningto quit smoking to that was back in 1983, just take it easy take walk breaks when needed, and listen to the good advise

here, there some pretty smart people on this siteBig grin

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

Hi there,  Great that you're wanting to get back into running.  I started running about a year ago, having never run before in my life.  I didn't do the Couch to 5k plan, but did something very similar.  (Started off with 3 minutes walking 1 minute running and then gradually increased the running intervals and decreased the walking intervals until I could run 5K by the end of last year.)  I'm hooked now, having lost 89 pounds and really enjoying the running.  You have to persevere through the hard bits at the beginning, but it becomes more enjoyable all the time. :-)  Good luck!!!

tikime

Thank you everyone! I joined the group couch25k so hopefully I will do others proud! I begin my journey tomorrow and I hope to reach my goal! Thank you all for the encouragement Smile
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm really excited for you!  C25k is a great way to get started.  I started and stopped several times in my pre-internet running attempts.  Finding C25k and then finding RA were the things that got me started on the right foot (left foot right foot left foot, repeat).  That was >6 years ago.  I hope you're able to look back after a few thousand miles and say the same. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I'm really excited for you!  C25k is a great way to get started. >snip<   Finding C25k and then finding RA were the things that got me started on the right foot (left foot right foot left foot, repeat).  >snip<

+1 but in July 2008, 3 months after blessed heart attack. Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

bob e v
                              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.