Boston Marathon Hotel (Read 1367 times)

I'm heading up for my first Boston in April 2011 and I'm currently trying to make hotel and flight arrangements.

My question is two-fold:

1)  Should I book my hotel near the start or the finish line?

2) What hotel/town/part of town do you suggest staying in?

Surprisingly, I haven't found much of the info on-line tht helpful so far, so your feedback is appreciated

DoppleBock

I found 2 choices because I flew out and did not have a car.

1)  Stay right near the finish line - walk to the expo, walk to the busses out to the start, walk back to the hotel after the race.  Be right in the glorious and expensive epicenter.

2)  Take the Charlie on one of its lines to a reasonable priced hotel.  Take the Charlie back to the expo center, to the buses in the morning and back to the hotel after the race.

2 different experiences - One @ $100 a night the other @ $200-$300 a night.

I chose #1 and it was an expensive race.

I am sure someone who has chosen #2 can help with good places to stay on a Charlie line.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

Uh, it's not called the "Charlie". Smile It's the T.

But yeah, there's no reason to stay near the start / finish. Just stay near a T station, Red line is probably best (Green line is jammed up on marathon day). Also, though this is more relevant if you're booking late, consider Craiglist for a room for a few days. I did that a few years ago, and now have a regular place every year for $50 / night, right next to a T stop. Even includes a mushy cat.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I was wondering this same thing.  When I looked on the BAA site, they have JB listed as the offical airline, and it goes on and on about how great an airline it is.  Then they list the offical parking garage.  OFFICAL PARKING GARAGE, yeah, ok. 

But where is the list of hotels?  Am I missing it? Maybe that will get updated when reg opens?  But I'd like to get on that nice and early.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Best Present Ever

It's too late to get a hotel nice and early.  Many of the hotels near the finish are sold out.  Strange but true. 

DoppleBock

Uh, it's not called the "Charlie". Smile It's the T.

But yeah, there's no reason to stay near the start / finish. Just stay near a T station, Red line is probably best (Green line is jammed up on marathon day). Also, though this is more relevant if you're booking late, consider Craiglist for a room for a few days. I did that a few years ago, and now have a regular place every year for $50 / night, right next to a T stop. Even includes a mushy cat.

DoppleBock

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/

I really did not pay attention - But I do remember that it had something to do with Charlie ... T

Must be getting old ... memory is fading

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Staying near Copley Square / Boston Common is very handy if you are traveling with your family but it's super expensive.  I just sucked up and paid to stay at the Westin Copley since my wife was with our 1 yr old - great for them, not for my wallet.  If I was traveling solo or with friends, I'd have found a cheaper option further out and rode the T.  Some hotels will shuttle you around if they are a bit further out.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

The shirtless wonder

I'm staying at a Hampton Inn, because Hampton Inns are the most awesomest hotel in existence, which is about 2 miles from Prudential Center and maybe a block or two from the T.  I couldn't bear to spend $500 per night at the Westin or other nice hotels right in Copley Square.

I'm not sure why I'm mentioning this since the Hampton is sold out already.  There was a Marriot Courtyard nearby (I think).  Tripadvisor is pretty awesome for this sort of thing.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Visitors to Boston who try to save money by staying way outside the city end up spending their whole trip driving back and forth in traffic, lost.  It is much nicer to get in once and stay in, where you can walk or ride the T to anything. 

So there's really no cheap way to have a pleasant experience, unless you know somebody with a room to lend you.

That said, you don't have to pay the stratospheric rates of the hotels right in Copley Square.  It's almost as easy to stay anywhere else near the T and the prices do drop from ridiculous down to merely expensive.  You don't need to be within the city of Boston proper, the parts of Cambridge, Somerville, and Brookline with good T access are all nice and convenient (Brookline a little less than the others because the Green line is inferior to the Red). 

Consider, for example, something like this.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Thanks to everyone.  It's been a huge help.  I"m not sure why all the information that you guys provided isn't readily available, but I suppose that's the beauty of runningahead.com.

Thanks again