Let's liven this place up...IPods, Yes or No (Read 979 times)

vanessa40

#artbydmcbride

Yes!! I mean, No!! Big grin

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I'm sure every runner wearing headphones thinks they can hear just fine, but it's like all those people driving erratically on their cell phones don't realize what is going on either. I can't count the number of times I was in a race where I had to pass slower runners we were lapping and they were oblivious to yells to clear a path. Or a couple women who jumped out of their skin on paths at night because I passed after making plenty of noise they didn't hear because of their headphones. I'm fine with people wearing them, but they do cause problems in races. I would never wear them on roads either because I've logged a LOT of miles and can think of many occasions where less than perfect awareness could have been being hit by a car. I have recently started wearing them when I am forced to run on the treadmill at work. They do make that more tolerable. I don't have to worry about other runners or getting hit by a car there and it does help make the time tolerable.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

... I can't count the number of times I was in a race where I had to pass slower runners we were lapping and they were oblivious to yells to clear a path. ,,,
          I guess what I just don't get is why someone believes that another runner must move out of their way when being passed. I get that groups of people shouldn't run two or three or more abreast, but no one has a right to force another runner to move no matter what their pace. Everyone has the right to be in the space they currently occupy, no one has a "right" to make another runner move out of their way ...

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
          My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
          Ride 112 miles.
          Run 26.2 miles.
          Then brag for the rest of your life.
          -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

I can't figure out how to copy & paste it here - but that is the Best. Smiley. Ever.
            wbudde

I don't have an IPod... I usually wear my MP3 player when I'm running by myself - there are a lot of walking trails around my house, so I don't have to worry about getting hit by a car. I don't bring it to a group run though - I think that would be pretty rude. I never bring them to a race - like others have said, I enjoy the whole atmosphere of the race.
              JM Runs

I guess what I just don't get is why someone believes that another runner must move out of their way when being passed.... Everyone has the right to be in the space they currently occupy, no one has a "right" to make another runner move out of their way ...
                Actually you are wrong. The race director and the people he delegates as race officals or road marshals have the right to move or direct you during the race. We also have the right to put the fast runners in the front of the start, and to move slower runners like you to the back of the start. This is to give each of the competitive runners a fair start without you obstructing them. You may have paid the same entry fee but you don't get a right to stand in the first rows of the start. It is, after all, a race. Putting you further back also means the FRB don't run you down. You don't have a 'right of way', you are sharing the race course with about a zillion other people. You all have to work on keeping clear of each other. The etiquette of racing says that you DO make way for a faster runner, you do move aside when you hear some one behind you say "On Your Left" or words to that affect. You may be surprised to learn that failing to do so is against the rules. It is un-sportsman like to block another runner, even when they are overtaking. You can actively block them by stepping in front of them, or passively block them, by failing to move aside when they ask to come through. Either way it is un-sportsman like conduct and can get you disqualified. So no, you don't have a 'right' or 'right of way' or 'right to block'. When some one faster comes up behind make room and let them pass. This is not a Macy's Sale.

Beatin' on the Rock

LOL.. That made me laugh
                  Is that horse wearing an iPod?!?
                  Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                  dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

So the thousand other threads that have chewed this topic till the flavor's gone not enough for you? If you're just trying to alleviate your boredom you'd be better occupied throwing some meat to the lions that didn't start rotting a while back.
                    Steve Boyett
                    Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                    Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
                      I definately train with my ipod. I'd be lost without it. What I do refuse to do is to wear it during a race. I tried it one time on a 5k and I felt like I missed out on so much that I vowed to never do it again and I haven't. I've ran 4 half maratons and one marathon headphone-less and I'm so glad I did. Although I don't keep the volume up high so I can hear my Garmie, I still felt like when I raced with them on, I missed out on a lot of the action going on around me. Cry I couldn't imagine training without my podcasts though! Cool
                      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                        Discussions like these are something that I don't miss about Cool Running. Roll eyes Tom
                          Well said Tom. Wink Those flamefests bored me to tears. Tight lipped