Need Computer Tech Help! (Read 707 times)

Prophet!

My internet connection goes out after a few hours of inactivity...then i'd have to restart the computer to get internet fully working again. Usually i could go into network connection and right click on Local Area Connection and repair, and that will get less intense websites to come up (like RA, thankfully). Anyway, just thought that with the amount of super-geekery displayed on these forums, someone could have some sort of an idea of what's wrong. I'm running XP Home SP2, Cable Modem with Wireless Router (the wireless is for my laptop). Much mahalo and aloha, steve
    eric :)

Steve, I'm not too clear onwhat you wish to fix. It looks like your ISP has an inactivity time out. Maybe they don't have one, and that there's something wrong with your cable modem. Your best bet is to call them up and see what's going on since you shouldn't be disconnected. Until then, I don't think you need to reboot your computer to get your connection back. Try the following: 1. open up a command prompt 2. type: "ipconfig /release" <enter> 3. type: "ipconfig /renew" <enter> be sure to not type in the quotes. This forces your computer to get a new IP address, which is what you're doing effectively by reboot, just a little faster.</enter></enter>

Prophet!

thanks eric...i guess i need to call them up...i've had the same problem previously which turned out to be some sort of a virus..but haven't found any in this case.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm running XP Home SP2
          I think this is the problem. XP pro is more stable, but even that won't solve this problem. You need to run Mac OSX, any version, but the later the better. Cool Big grin Evil grin

I think this is the problem. XP pro is more stable, but even that won't solve this problem. You need to run Mac OSX, any version, but the later the better. Cool Big grin Evil grin
            Trent, I went to the Mac store this past weekend to check out some of the machines that are available. I have to say that they look very lovely! I was practically drooling at the big flat screen thing that costs $2000+. Who wouldn't want a monitor with 3200 x 1600 resolution?
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Amen. I have this massive huge mega monitor at work. Its a Dell. It actually belongs to my work, purchased with some money from a grant that was running out. I use it well and it has served me well. Even though it is a Dell Wink Per a prior discussion, I'd love to be able to use that monitor when mapping on RA. When searching for a map under tools, the gmap fills the browser, even if maximized to one of them Apple monitors. But the one under create a new course does not. That'd be awesome. I'll bet if you got one of them Apples, you'd agree too Big grin
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*nods* Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Macs are amazing and can really change the computing experience. Check out the following sites for great deals! Transitioning to Macs can be an adjustment...but once you go Mac you never go back. ;-) http://www.macmall.com/ http://techrestore.com/xcart/home.php?cat=253 http://www.powermax.com/ http://www.macofalltrades.com/help_answer.asp?ID=40 http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore Happy Shopping! Norm
                  If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                  Scout7

*sigh* You all sound like Scientologists. It's still just a computer. No better, no worse. Macs are good for some tasks, Windows are good for other tasks. And I don't wanna hear anything about being more stable or safe. Macs can get shaky too, require reboots, and get hacked.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have a Mc and a PC. Scout, you are right in some respects. Heck, I prefer file management and photo management tools on a PC,, and the super simple text editor Notepad cannot be beat and does not exist on Mac. But I will tell you that using the Mac is a far more pleasurable experience and I have to reboot, force quit, defrag, reinstall software, go to help screens and curse far less often when using my Mac. It is like an order or two of magnitude.
                      Scout7

I have a Mc and a PC. Scout, you are right in some respects. Heck, I prefer file management and photo management tools on a PC,, and the super simple text editor Notepad cannot be beat and does not exist on Mac. But I will tell you that using the Mac is a far more pleasurable experience and I have to reboot, force quit, defrag, reinstall software, go to help screens and curse far less often when using my Mac. It is like an order or two of magnitude.
                        Heh. I don't do any of those things on my Windows box. It's generally speaking a personal preference. I have used Windows, Mac, and various flavors of *nix. They all have idiosyncrasies. But I think it's generally unfair to really say that one is "better" than the other. Your experience with Windows is different than mine. I haven't had a problem with my computers that wasn't caused by me.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I haven't had a problem with my computers that wasn't caused by me.
                          I can't say that the reboots and force quits are due to things I have done. Well, short of electing to run a program on a windows box that is Big grin. When my Windows Outlook crashes or my Mac VPN software requires a reinstall, that is fundamentally the fault of the system developer, not the user. Good software should be user-proof. Windows is designed to require defragging. Mac is designed to avoid it (although still benefits from it). The latter sounds more user-centered in its design. As a user, I appreciate that.
                            XP Pro SP2 is no more stable than XP Home SP2. They're basically identical with some minor differences in how you manage users and authentication in a windows network. And I'm with Scout here. Windows vs. Mac is not religion. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. The reason Macs get hacked less often is because there are fewer of them and they tend to contain less valuable information. I know some guys who could break into your Mac in about 30 seconds if they wanted to. Sounds like a cable modem problem. You shouldn't lose your connection like that. How old is yours? I was having problems like that a few months ago, swapped my 6-year-old modem for a new one and haven't had an issue since.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Sounds like a cable modem problem. You shouldn't lose your connection like that. How old is yours? I was having problems like that a few months ago, swapped my 6-year-old modem for a new one and haven't had an issue since.
                              I won't get into the whole debate about which computers are better *cough* Mac *cough*, but I do agree with Mikeymike that this sounds like a problem with either your ISP or your cable modem. Have your ISP swap out the modem, and also have them check your signal strength. We had a weak broadband signal that dropped like yours did, and it was caused by faulty wiring in the junction box (which was fortunately outside the house).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

This sounds like the beginning of a religion war so I'll toss in another. Emacs is far more superior than Vi. Discuss. My home server is a Linux box and my workstation runs Windows XP. They are good for certain tasks while bad for others. This applies to the Mac as well. I'm sure I can point out all its inadequacies once I start using it.