Need Computer Tech Help! (Read 707 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The reason Macs get hacked less often is because there are fewer of them and they tend to contain less valuable information. I know some guys who could break into your Mac in about 30 seconds if they wanted to.
    This is the standard hypothesis and the guys you work with are paid to do exactly that. It is likely true, but this hypothesis has yet to be tested on a wide scale. Any word on Vista yet? Stable? Hackable? Usable?
      I was just going to ask about Vista - curious as to if it is worth the upgrade - I'm running Windows XP.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

This sounds like the beginning of a religion war so I'll toss in another. Emacs is far more superior than Vi. Discuss. My home server is a Linux box and my workstation runs Windows XP. They are good for certain tasks while bad for others. This applies to the Mac as well. I'm sure I can point out all its inadequacies once I start using it.
        Emacs > VI > Notepad Nuf Said.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Windows are good for other tasks.
          Like gaming. For gaming awesomeness, the PC is the only way to go.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I was just going to ask about Vista - curious as to if it is worth the upgrade - I'm running Windows XP.
            I'm a Mac user, but I follow tech closely. It's really not recommended to upgrade to Vista unless you have a very new, high-powered computer that you bought in the last year. Vista's hardware requirements are pretty stringent, and unless your computer can handle it, a lot of the new features won't work. This is basically what most reviewers are saying. Best bet is to just wait until you buy your next PC. Vista will come pre-loaded. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Any word on Vista yet? Stable? Hackable? Usable?
              Early returns (2nd or 3rd hand when you get it from me) is more stable, less hackable and less usable. Our guys have exploited some 3rd party software running on Vista and wound up in PR pissing match with MSFT about whether this really does qualify as a Vista security problem. Our camp and just about any impartial 3rd party seems to think of course it does. And then it turns out some of the vulnerabilities that existed in XP are still there in Vista. We have an exploit for this bad boy that works on Vista. The guy quoted on page 2 sits about 5 feet from me. Call it an unproven hypothesis but botnets--and lots of other hackers and malicious programs--prefer Windows because of its ubiquity. Alright that's enough shop talk for me. I come here to escape all this. Sheesh.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

about whether this really does qualify as a Vista security problem
                of course it does

Prophet!

The modem that i have is about 2-3 years old. I might have a try replacing them and maybe get some better cables and splitters...thanks for the help. Sorry for starting a religious war.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Splitters can cause a lot of trouble for cable modems as well.
                    Scout7

Yes, they can. One thing that might have happened is that the cable modem might have picked up a bad IP address. You might try unplugging the modem for a good 24 hours, then plugging it back in. If things work fine, that's what it was. I've also seen problems with the power supply being......spotty. That can cause issues with connectivity as well.
                      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I can attest to that. There are two splitters and a signal surge protector between the outside line and my cable modem. Any drop in signal will result in a disconnect. To over come that, the cable company needed to increase the signal strength. In the end, the tech removed the the surge protector and everything went back to normal. As for Vista, I would not recommend upgrading it. There really isn't much real advantage other than eye candies. If you're happy with Windows XP, then stay with it. I did some testing using Vista a while back and had a hard time navigating it. Besides, why pay for it now when the next machine you buy will come with it?
                          If your cable modem disconnects after a period of inactivity you should make sure that it's configured to send "keepalive" packets every so often. This should get you an always-on connection. I don't know what kind of cable modem you have but you should be able to configure it via a web browser by visiting http://192.168.1.1 (or whatever your cable modem's IP address is). As far as emacs vs. vi goes... Did you know that emacs is stands for Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift? That you need six fingers on each hand to use it? Most emacs fanatics only need the OS to run emacs since everything else you'd ever want to do can be done inside emacs, including programming new features in LISP (Lots of Idiotic Silly Parentheses). Vi is everywhere so I use it (vim actually). While *I* prefer vi, emacs has it's own, rather extensive following (some might say "cult"), and in the end you go with what you like. Rather than discuss vi vs. emacs, can we talk about something less controversial, like religion or politics? Smile