Half marathon 2 weeks before my first full marathon? (Read 175 times)

BigDaddyJoe

Hi there,

I'm new here, and relatively new to running (a little over a year).  I've done a bunch of 5k's, and 2 half marathons.  I'm signed up for my first full marathon on May 1 of next year.  A friend of mine just asked if I'd do a half marathon with him exactly 2 weeks before, on April 17.  The training plan I plan on following calls for a 12 mile run that weekend.  Would you do the half marathon instead of the 12 mile run, or would you stay away from it?  Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

an amazing likeness

Generally speaking, it's a really good idea.

Lots of positives -- you get to test your race prep (clothing, shoes, gu...etc), you get a feel for your planned marathon pace, and you replace (yet another) mid-range run with something different. The key is to remember the purpose isn't to run your best 1/2 marathon time -- it's a training run for your real goal, the marathon in 2 weeks -- and run it as such.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

BigDaddyJoe

Generally speaking, it's a really good idea.

Lots of positives -- you get to test your race prep (clothing, shoes, gu...etc), you get a feel for your planned marathon pace, and you replace (yet another) mid-range run with something different. The key is to remember the purpose isn't to run your best 1/2 marathon time -- it's a training run for your real goal, the marathon in 2 weeks -- and run it as such.

Great advice, and kind of how I was thinking, that it would replace a regular boring run with something a little more exciting.  But you're also right, I need to remember why I'm doing it and try not to push myself to finish too fast.  I have issues with that, starting out too fast and burning out.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

I can't count how many horror stories I've heard from runners that planned to make their race a training run shortly before their goal race and ended up ruining their goal race as a result.  YMMV but I would advise against it unless you are extremely confident in your self control.  A habit of going out too fast for races does not help your case.

BigDaddyJoe

I can't count how many horror stories I've heard from runners that planned to make their race a training run shortly before their goal race and ended up ruining their goal race as a result.  YMMV but I would advise against it unless you are extremely confident in your self control.  A habit of going out too fast for races does not help your case.

That is what I need to hear.

delicate flower

Scary idea, unless you have the self control that milktruck and flatfooter mentioned and can actually run at a training effort.  Put me on a starting line though and I'm going to race.  

<3

BigDaddyJoe

Scary idea, unless you have the self control that milktruck and flatfooter mentioned and can actually run at a training effort.  Put me on a starting line though and I'm going to race.  

Yeah, I was already leaning against it.  I might THINK I'd have the self control, but in reality I know that I wouldn't.

This is your first marathon, and likely not shooting for any specific time (like a Boston Qualifier).  I'd try running the Half even if you have no self control and race it all out.  You'll know how you'll recover from such an effort.

My personal experience is that I recover just fine in about a week, and have set my 5K PR after a Half the previous week, and my first marathon was the week after the 5K.  However I am a slower runner and racing at my pace may mean something entirely different than someone running 2-3 min/mile faster.

BigDaddyJoe

This is your first marathon, and likely not shooting for any specific time (like a Boston Qualifier).  I'd try running the Half even if you have no self control and race it all out.  You'll know how you'll recover from such an effort.

My personal experience is that I recover just fine in about a week, and have set my 5K PR after a Half the previous week, and my first marathon was the week after the 5K.  However I am a slower runner and racing at my pace may mean something entirely different than someone running 2-3 min/mile faster.

I'm definitely not looking for any specific time, my goal is to survive and finish!

I just ran a half marathon on Saturday, and was back running by Tuesday, albeit only 3.1 miles.  I felt fine, fully recovered.  I am not a fast runner, more of a middle of the pack runner.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

There are success stories out there as well as horror stories. I raced 12M two weeks before my first marathon and did just fine with a BQ on top of it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Yes, you can over-do it, but it's 2 weeks before the marathon, not 1 week. I agree with posters who point out that a half marathon race can be much more fun than a regular long run and it's a good opportunity to test your gear, your pacing strategy, hydration, nutrition, and so on. Better to learn the costs of starting out to fast in a half marathon than at your goal marathon!

This year, I actually ran a PR in a half marathon 2 weeks before running the NYC marathon and I'm sure it only helped (raced a BQ - 25). I've been running many years, but I'm also older (61), and I found that a 2 week taper was plenty of recovery for me before the marathon. In my case, I wanted to fully reap the benefits of all the marathon training I'd put in over the last 5 months.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

3 weeks out: race it.  2 weeks out: go GMP for 10 miles and push the last 5k.  You get your goal race prep and the joy of passing lots of folks at the end.   Of course, this plan typically lasts for the first 0.25 miles if you have no self control.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The friend who asked you to run this, is this a runner you would stay with the whole race or would you do your own thing? What is their goal with this half? Because I think that could affect things too, especially if he is a faster runner.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Scooterscott

I agree iwth CanadianMeg - What are your friends goals for the half?  Do they want company in the corral and you can run your own race or do they expect you to be at thier side as company and moral support?  Is this someone that you woudl have to put in a stronger effort be able to maintain thier pace or is thier half pace simialr to your Mpace.  There are way too many detials left out to really say no or yes.

You are already scheduled for a 12 mile run anyway so I would go back to the fact that it really gives you one more chance to trial all your plans - pre-race meal, warm -up, clothes, hydration,etc.  Another thing you can practice is SELF CONTROL in those FIRST FEW MILES (key thing for the Full). If you already recognize you can't hold yoruself back early in races and suffer later it woud be really great to practice starting a little slower than planned for the full. Even if you start faster than plan getting the feeling of holding back is important.  Startng too fast in other races may not be so bad but can lead to disaster in latter stages of a marathon.  You also don't know how you respond to a taper yet.  Are you doing a three week taper.  if so it might be good to get in that higher quaility day. It might burn off a littl extra energy but it can help keep you sharp and you still have two weeks to recover.

BigDaddyJoe

The friend who asked you to run this, is this a runner you would stay with the whole race or would you do your own thing? What is their goal with this half? Because I think that could affect things too, especially if he is a faster runner.

This would be my friend's first half marathon.  He has done a 10 mile trail run, that is his longest distance.  We would not be staying together, we would each be running our own race, just be there for each other at the beginning and end.