The Half Marathon in the middle of Higdon's Intermediate 1 Marathon training plan (Read 1465 times)

Feeling the growl again

To this rookie it's funny that the experienced ones amongst you consider the "easy" runs as recovery after the HM.

You could call them "recovery runs" alternatively.

They're not meant to be your normal, everyday easy pace.  I've done such runs the day after a race where I was beat up and so I was only running/jogging a full minute or more slower than my typical easy pace....and started out even slower than that.

A bit of running should actually help along with the healing process by getting blood circulating through the muscles.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

What spaniel said.

I've had runs as slow as 13:30 min the first mile the day after a PR race.  shuffle shuffle shuffle.  recovery is better than no recovery

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

What spaniel said.

I've had runs as slow as 13:30 min the first mile the day after a PR race.  shuffle shuffle shuffle.  recovery is better than no recovery

OTOH there are times when you just need a rest. Even some of the elites take a few days off after a marathon.

Not trying to resurrect a zombie here... but just in case this comes up in anyone's search results, and they were wondering how the advice turned out.

I raced the HM. It was hillier than I had trained for but with, what I consider to be, pretty decent effort came out with a time 80secs outside my current PR.

In the week following the race I gave myself a day off then I ran all my training runs easy up to the long 18 miler this weekend. Didn't feel any adverse effects.... seem to be on track still.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring