Blood work for runners (Read 1686 times)

These annual check-ups often include the obligatory body fat measurement, which is (or so I've read) impacted by hydration levels.  A 2 hr run prior to your appointment may leave you somewhat dehydrated and throw off this metric.  Just a thought.

Queen of 3rd Place

I've got a physical next week and want to get the fasting blood work out of the way in the AM. Is it okay to do a 90-120 minute run before, say about an hour or so?

Heh. I did this, and then waited, and waited, and...almost passed out. Had to leave and do it another day.

Ex runner

Just to relay the experience. I ran a hard 12 the morning I was to have bloodwork done. They made me repeat the bloodwork a month later and told me not to overly exert myself 24 hours before the test. I guess some liver function tests were a little screwy and there was blood in my urine. follow up was normal but I guess hard running can screw things up a bit. 

The same thing happened to me. I got a blood test as part of my physical and the AST levels came back elevated. From limited research I have done, I've heard this can read high from muscle breakdown after hard exercise. I believe the ALT levels are the ones that are more indicative of liver damage.  In any case, I have to get retested which I hope the AST levels are down but I doubt they will be if it's due to running.

Slice

My liver enzymes came back borderline troubling - which jogged my memory of the previous night's pitcher of margaritas. Apparently fasting the morning of wasn't good enough. Wink

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My liver enzymes came back borderline troubling - which jogged my memory of the previous night's pitcher of margaritas. Apparently fasting the morning of wasn't good enough. Wink

Sounds like you had little memory of that night. Smile

But what about the non-drinkers? I don't drink alcohol (anymore) and I had elevated liver enzymes. I wonder how many non-drinking runners have this lab result?