Terrible shoulder pain?? (Read 567 times)

chriskohlenberg

Hi all, new to this board...need some assistance if at all possible. on any run over 5 miles, my right shoulder and back of my neck hurt like heck!!.....im afraid of how it would feel after a marathon!!.....any ideas? my posture is probably to blame, and please dont say to "relax my shoulders"....when i do that, my arms flail by my side as if they are made of jelly. i slump over a computer all day....could this poor posture be making its way into my running? any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated... thansk

A Saucy Wench

I would say yes, bad posture can be your problem. Weak and imblanced muscles from long term poor posture can cause a lot of pain Have you ever considered yoga? It can really help with posture and strength

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

ruthiepj

Are you paying attention to how you run? Meaning are you tensing your hands and shoulders. Try not to grip your hands hard. It is hard to tell someone to relax their shoulders. Keep your hands below your elbows when running. It helps me and my girlfriends. We had the same problem. As far as bad posture, I went to a chiropracter for a while to help with mine. I'm a computer nerd so I understand being at a computer all day.
          Just run more. When I first started, everything was sore. I mean I figured my legs would be sore - but I was surprised when I would get home and my shoulders, abs, and back would be sore. As I ran more, these things went away.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Why is it sideways?

This happens to me. A doctor friend of mine (not Trent) told me that there is a relationship between diaphragm spasms and the cramping feeling you'll occasionally get in your upper shoulder/lower neck as you run. Try getting control of your breathing and see if that helps.

Lazy idiot

This happens to me. A doctor friend of mine (not Trent) told me that there is a relationship between diaphragm spasms and the cramping feeling you'll occasionally get in your upper shoulder/lower neck as you run. Try getting control of your breathing and see if that helps.
              This is interesting. Did (does) it work for you? I'd be interested to hear the connection (since... you know... this happens to me every once in a while too).

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

By Tim Noakes Oxford Uni. Press, 1985. Quoted from "Lore of Running"
                Proper breathing prevents the development of the `stitch'. The stitch is a condition that occurs only during exercise and which causes severe pain usually on the right side of the abdomen, immediately below the rib margin. Frequently the pain is also perceived in the right shoulder joint, where it feels as if an ice-pick were being driven into the joint. The pain is exacerbated by down-hill running and by fast, sustained running as in a short road race or time trial. For various complex anatomical reasons, the fact that the stitch causes pain to be felt in the shoulder joint suggests that the diaphragm is the source of the pain. It has been suggested that when breathing with the chest too much air is drawn into the lungs, and not all is exhaled. This causes a gradual and progressive accumulation of air in the lungs, causing them to expand which in turn causes the diaphragm to be stretched and to encroach on the abdominal contents below it. During running, the over-stretched diaphragm becomes sandwiched between an over-expanded chest above, and a jolting intestine pounding it from below. It revolts by going into spasm, and the pain of this spasm is recognized as the stitch. Although there is really not a shred of scientific evidence for this belief, I have found that diaphragm spasm is almost certainly involved in the stitch and that belly-breathing can frequently relieve the pain. The runner who wishes to learn how to belly-breath should lie on the floor and place one or more large books on his stomach. He should concentrate on making the books rise when he breathes in and fall when he exhales. As it takes about two months to learn to do the movement whilst running fast, it is important to start practicing well before an important race. A change in breathing pattern may help relieve the stitch. Within a short period of starting running, breathing becomes synchronized with footfall. Thus one automatically breaths in on one leg and out when landing either on the same leg - that is 2, 3 or 4 full strides later - or on the opposite leg - that is 1 1/2, 2 1/2, or 3 1/2 strides later. Thus the ratio of stride to breathing may be 2:1, 3:1, 4:1; or 1.5:1, 2.5:1, 3.5:1. This phenomenon was first reported by Bramble and Carrier (1983). Of particular interest was their finding that most runners are `footed', that is the beginning and end of a respiratory cycle occurs on the same foot, usually in a stride to breathing ratio of either 4:1 whilst jogging or 2:1 whilst running faster. Runners then become habituated to breathing out on the same let, day after day. This produces asymmetrical stresses on the body and could be a factor in both the stitch and in certain running injuries. I am `left-footed' and have also suffered my major running injuries only on my left side. If changes in breathing patterns do not prevent the stitch then the last step is to increase abdominal muscle strength. The correct way to strengthen the abdominal muscles is to do bent-knee sit ups with the feet unsupported.

Lazy idiot

Thanks, Jeff. I should probably purchase that book instead of repeatedly checking it out of the library.

Tick tock

Thanks, Jeff. I should probably purchase that book instead of repeatedly checking it out of the library.
                    Good idea. I bought a used copy in very good condition for $1.00 a couple months ago.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My sister in law and I have both had a similar problem. Have you ever tried yoga? I did, and was surprised that the whole "relaxing your shoulders" thing feels different in yoga. I don't know if it's a different way of doing it or what, but it worked for her and for me too. I can't explain it, just forcefully shove your shoulders down, straighten your posture and take a super deep breath and fill your lungs. Look straight ahead, not down at your feet. I'm sure you've already tried all of that, but I'm just sayin' that's what my SIL & I did when it happened to us, and it really helped. And actually by doing that while running I have MORE control of my arms than when I don't. Don't know why, that's just how it works for me. Smile Good luck!

Michelle