Waterproof socks (Read 771 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I purchased some YakTrax for my shoes to run in the snow and ice but decided I need something to keep my feet warm and dry when doing this. I don't care to buy a pair of waterproof shoes as I really love my Nike Peagus. So I was thinking waterproof socks. Has anyone tried any? I would love to hear some reviews of water proof socks before buying some or if anyone knows about a pair of waterproof Nike Peagus! I do spray all of my shoes with water repellant but figure in snow that is not going to help.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      I purchased some YakTrax for my shoes to run in the snow and ice but decided I need something to keep my feet warm and dry when doing this. I don't care to buy a pair of waterproof shoes as I really love my Nike Peagus. So I was thinking waterproof socks. Has anyone tried any? I would love to hear some reviews of water proof socks before buying some or if anyone knows about a pair of waterproof Nike Peagus! I do spray all of my shoes with water repellant but figure in snow that is not going to help.
      I have a pair from Cabelas that I ran in once. Kinda bulky for a running shoe maybe, but not too bad. They are GoreTex. They've got a light quilting inside. I used liner socks underneath and ran in my trail shoes, which I got a tad on the large size cuz I can cinch them tightly and because they can accomodate thicker trail socks. I'd probably run in them again if really wet. They would be in the crew-length length. I got them mainly as backups in case my waders fail while I am fishing. Seal Skins is another brand. You could also use them if you hike. Think mine were about $20, at least 5 years ago.
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I've run in SealSkinz quite a bit. They definitely keep you warm and dry. They don't fit like regular socks, but I don't care.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Do the SealSkinz make your feet sweat a lot?
            2011 Goals:

The Terminator

When playing rugby in sloppy wet conditions, we would put on a sock, then a grocery bag, then our boots. It worked, but it is not extremely attractive.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I would think your foot would slip around with the baggie being between the foot and the shoe? When running in rain I don't care too much what I look like, within reason of course.
                2011 Goals:
              Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Bearcat - I put on a (thin) sock, then the long bag that my newspaper is delivered in, then another sock to keep the bag from slipping. Then my shoe. I do this for long sloppy slushy runs in sub-30 temps. Had a near-frostbite issue during a HM a few years ago and never want to go there again...

Jeanne

Do a Google search for "neoprene socks"....I bought some from Performance Bike for muddy cyclocross races and was pretty pleased. I am yet to try them while running in the wet. Good luck. Somewhat related article: http://www.snowshoeracing.com/steve_ilg_5.htm