why is KT tape made with bad adhesive? (Read 146 times)

I've used KT tape a few times over the years, from standard to "pro" to Rock Tape. None of them are made with very good adhesive, although Rock Tape is noticeably better.

I know the tricks; I clean with rubbing alcohol, I never try to re-position, I rub it to set and adhere it. But I still have a 50/50 chance of having it stick for more than a few minutes. Usually if it sticks for longer than 15 minutes, it's good for days. However, following the same exact procedures in the same exact spot, I still have a 50/50 chance of it staying on for more than a few minutes.

Is there some reason they don't have a better adhesive? Would that negate any of the claimed effects? If someone made a version with just a few dots of GOOD adhesive in a grid pattern among the regular adhesive, it would put all the other tapes out of business.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I've never applied it myself, but my PT has probably applied it at least 5 times at this point, and not once have I had issues. I can even keep it on for a week and still have a very painful experience trying to get it off.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Yeah, when it's on, it's ON. I suppose doing it all day long every day makes someone very good at it, but after maybe only 25 attempts over the years I still have issues getting it on and staying. I think a product for us clumsy laymen would be nice. I've used superglue to re-attach peeling corners in the past!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Last time I saw the PT he used adhesive spray with Rock tape and it stayed on great. Check out Ares Extreme KT tape which I’ve found sticks best.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

sounds good! I forgot about the spray.

kilkee

runktrun

Rock Tape is your best bet.  KT tape is useless.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Rock Tape is your best bet.  KT tape is useless.

^ This.

Damaris

I've used the Rock Tape brand with much better success, but it's still not as sticky as I'd like for first application. I think the spray is my best bet.

I started the thread because I pulled out a roll of pre-cut regular KT that I had to use on my achilles. I might as well have been trying to get a strip of printer paper to stick. I'll get out the Rock Tape and use that. Maybe give what's left of the regular KT to Goodwill or something. I have most of a roll of KT Pro somewhere, it works better than the regular KT brand.

Note: I've had the Rock Tape on for 5 days now. I roll around a lot in bed and take long showers. People should not even bother with KT brand.

Daydreamer1

KT tape is useless.

Not when it's covering my nipples during a ultra .  Best thing ever. No more bloody shirts. Apply and forget.

kcam

My wife uses Rock Tape for her tennis elbow and forearm issues.  It will stay on their for days on end if applied properly.

Not when it's covering my nipples during a ultra .  Best thing ever. No more bloody shirts. Apply and forget.

Are you talking the BRAND KT tape, or just using that name to describe any kinesio therapy type tape? With my experience with the brand called LT, I can't see how it would hold on under a moving shirt for an ultra. Rock tape would, though, and thanks for the idea!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I use nipguards for marathons and sweaty speed/tempo treadmill runs and stick KT tape over the nipguards in case they come off.

I’m not getting the “KT tape is useless” Try the Ares tape that I mentioned and then get back to me and say it’s useless.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the KT BRAND, not "kt tape" as a generic item. The Rock Tape BRAND of kt tape is working very well, as usual, but the KT BRAND of kt tape doesn't stick very well at all.

I might text what's left of my KT brand kt tape for use as nipple protection. That's better than what I was going to do, which is throw it away because it's next to useless as kt tape.

Poppy Ott

Nothing To See Here

I have no problem using KT brand tape, it stays in place just fine and I have not encountered many who have trouble with it.  I wonder if it is a personal chemistry thing.  As a dentist I often get asked, “What is the best dentures adhesive?”  Well, there is no ‘best.’  Due to varaiations in individual saliva chemistry what works well for one person may not work at all for another.  There could be a parallel with the various tape adhesives.