Explain Cramps - Details Please (Read 573 times)

JakeKnight

For only the second time in what I laughably call my running "career," I suffered some brutal leg cramps today. Right leg, back of the leg all the way from the knee to the glutes. The kind where your leg seizes up and you end up lying on the ground screaming obscenities, unable to move for five minutes. I have some idea what causes them, but I'll skip the details of my truly stupid effort today so as not to lead my witnesses. That would be you. I'm looking for specifics, both from a medical and runner's perspective. Or both. Trent. (Okay, except the runner part.) Simple questions: 1) What exactly causes it? 2) How do you avoid it? 3) When it happens, what's the quickest way to get moving again? 4) Why are the muscles in my legs (both of them actually) dancing and jumping around on their own? I've seen this but usually only after a goal marathon. And the important questions: 5) What exactly did it do to me? Am I injured? 6) Should I avoid a fast run tomorrow? (I'm going to ignore your advice on this one, of course, I'm just curious what the advice is). Thanks. I'll cough up some details later. For now, I just wanna know why exactly it happens and how to make it (please God) never happen again. Because somebody rolling around on the ground and creatively cursing his ancestors is only funny when its somebody else.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Giant Flaming Dork

<snicker> <trying> <snicker> LOL!!!! Sorry Jake, I couldn't hold it in. This happened to me in High School at the entrance to the XC course after a particularly grueling workout for Outdoor. ("Now, go run a XC course and be back in 25 minutes!") It took 10 minutes before I could move and was lucky a teacher drove by. "HELP!!!! SAVE ME!!!" I'll try my best at this: 1) A breakdown in the body's ability to tell a muscle to relax. This can be caused by many things - two that I'm aware of are: the lack of potassium ions in the channel between the axons of two connecting nerves (not enough electrolytes), The lack of water in the channel (dehydration). MTA - over hydration can make the ions in the channel too dilute and cause the same problem as well. 2) Proper hydration and electrolyte balance (balance is the key). In general, sodium in the axon channel sends a signal to the muscle to contract. Potassium flooding the channel then flushes the sodium and the muscle relaxes. There is also something that flushes the potassium, but I forget what that is and I'm too lazy to look it up. Incidentally, I have seen extreme interval workouts do it to properly hydrated and nourished folks and I don't understand that mechanism. 3) The quickest way is the most painful. You must completely extend the muscle somehow. Usually you can't do it yourself (some can, I can't). It's very painful (but the pain goes away very quickly) 4) See above, could be symptoms of any of these or even ones I haven't mentioned. 5) Nothing usually. It's you body's way of saying "don't do what you just did - ever again." 6) Read #5. Read it again. Now actually read it. Have you read it yet? I'll wait. Let it sink in. Okay good. My advice would be that it might be worth while to do a food diary and post it here to take a look at. Sorry you were in that much pain, I can only say that I've been there. And that doesn't make the pain any better. </snicker></trying></snicker>

http://xkcd.com/621/

Check out the http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/ !! Nobody explains cramps better than these guys, you may have to run a search to find the cramps article
        JakeKnight

Good stuff. Mikel, thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out. -------------- Girman, you'll be laughing harder when I tell you exactly how stupid I was today. Pretty astoundingly stupid. Let's just say that if you're right in all that, I pretty much followed a check list on how to get a bad cramp. But I'm interested because the only other time it ever happened, I'm not quite as sure what went wrong. Plus, it really, really sucks. I'd like it to never happen again. Feel free to laugh. If it'd been somebody else today, it would have been pretty funny. The only good news was that after crawling around on my back like a crab for 10 minutes, I'd actually struggled to my feet about 30 seconds before the two hotties ran by. So it could have sucked worse.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JK. You should run a 5k race tomorrow. In the 90+ degree afternoon heat. That would be spectacularly stupid. Do you have a category for that?
            JakeKnight

JK. You should run a 5k race tomorrow. In the 90+ degree afternoon heat. That would be spectacularly stupid. Do you have a category for that?
              God, how I hate you. Let me count the ways. Yes. Tomorrow's 5-k was exactly what I was pondering. I have visions of doing the crab-crawl halfway through it. Of course I'm still going to do it. Just wondering if it was stupid. ----------- By the way, am I picking up your packet or what? Oh - and you're like supposed to be a doctor and stuff, so you could probably answer my questions. Unless you're busy putting your kid on the train tracks.

Giant Flaming Dork

Check out the http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/ !! Nobody explains cramps better than these guys, you may have to run a search to find the cramps article
                There are a few things that bug me about the data on this site. 1) is that they are using absolute values for electrolytes and not relative values. In other words, they needed to measure the CHAGNE in electrolyte levels, not the levels themselves. 2) That they assume that because sweat is Hypotonic, it must mean that what is happening in the muscles is hypotonic. 3) In most places, they assume that the only electrolyte is sodium Otherwise, this makes for some interesting reading.

Giant Flaming Dork

Girman, you'll be laughing harder when I tell you exactly how stupid I was today. Pretty astoundingly stupid. Let's just say that if you're right in all that, I pretty much followed a check list on how to get a bad cramp. But I'm interested because the only other time it ever happened, I'm not quite as sure what went wrong. Plus, it really, really sucks. I'd like it to never happen again. Feel free to laugh. If it'd been somebody else today, it would have been pretty funny. The only good news was that after crawling around on my back like a crab for 10 minutes, I'd actually struggled to my feet about 30 seconds before the two hotties ran by. So it could have sucked worse.
                  Well, like I said, it's what I'm aware of. I have seen it happen to people it shouldn't have and I have no explanation. Glad to hear the hotties didn't see you supine. I was looking forward to Trent's writing a medical explanation, but I think taunting you is better. Evil grin