yogurts to avoid (Read 968 times)

Jazz hands!

Yesterday at the grocery store I went to pick up a thing of yogurt, and they were out of the regular low-fat kind, so I grabbed a thing of "blended" style yogurt without thinking about it. Apparently "blended" yogurt solves the horrific problem of having to stir your yogurt, a task insurmountable for some reason. Of course they solve this problem with some corn starch and gelatin and weird chemicals. Slight aftertaste of raw pine nuts. I'll finish the quart 'cause I paid for it, but ew. I gotta start making my own.
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
      Ewww, thanks for the warning. I have not heard of blended yogurt before. You are brave to finish it off, I don't think I could do that....I would just throw it away. Dead
      Don't look at me, I'm just here to run.
        I didn't realize that stirring was so difficult for some people Roll eyes

A Saucy Wench

Make yogurt. From milk alone. At home. http://runningahead.com/forums/post/600beefc85e6422f9333d865da60111f#focus http://runningahead.com/forums/post/b502e94b355441149e0ced2c6cbec752#focus
          blah blah blah Some of us LIKE contributing to the corporate greed machine. Buy plain yogurt and add your own stuff. After awhile you realize the amount of sugar in flavored yogurt is nasty.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Often even plain yogurt has junk added to it. It should contain ONLY milk and yogurt culture.
              Trent... thanks... I am so excited to try this...
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent... thanks... I am so excited to try this...
                Cool...let us know how it works out.
                  I have a yogurt incubator just for this. It come with little glass jars and lids and it is a little more simple to make yogurt for me. I love it. I add a little honey and vanilla and even my picky 3 year old loves it. After each bite he says 'it's hangy'. (tangy). so cute. http://images.jr.com/productimages/UROYM80.PNG?CELL=380,380&QLT=67&FTR=3&BGCOLOR=FFFFFF&CVT=jpeg

Jazz hands!

Buy plain yogurt and add your own stuff. After awhile you realize the amount of sugar in flavored yogurt is nasty.
                    That's the really mindblowing part--it WAS plain yogurt. It didn't even have fruit on the bottom to stir! I mean, if it did, I would still think anyone who couldn't stir it was lazy, but it would be a tiny bit more understandable. But this is marketed to people who can't stir in the tiny bit of liquid that comes to the top? Really? Are those people even eating yogurt, or just whatever they can get at the drive-thru? Peach season is upon us (here at least)--peaches or nectarines in plain yogurt is the BEST.
                    run run run AHHHHHH run run run

The voice of mile 18

think the blended is lower in sugar than fruit on the bottom style yogurts. and yes I am that lazy

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have a yogurt incubator just for this.
                        I used to have one of these. Now I find that it is far easier just to use a cookpan and a bunch of liter jars. The incubator seems to me like too much equipment for something that is so very simple to make. Our great grandparents made excellent yogurt without such incubators, I would imagine. joe_h, nobody who puts in miles and miles of running is not so lazy.
                        AnneCA

That's the really mindblowing part--it WAS plain yogurt. It didn't even have fruit on the bottom to stir! I mean, if it did, I would still think anyone who couldn't stir it was lazy, but it would be a tiny bit more understandable. But this is marketed to people who can't stir in the tiny bit of liquid that comes to the top? Really? Are those people even eating yogurt, or just whatever they can get at the drive-thru? Peach season is upon us (here at least)--peaches or nectarines in plain yogurt is the BEST.
                          That is pretty amazing -- I also thought you must be talking about a flavored ygort. Maybe it's not just laziness, though. I know some people are grossed out by the liquid that can rise out. They think it means the yogurt has gone bad or something. Not that that makes it any better, that it's done for cosmetic reasons. Roll eyes I also have to put in a plug for Greek-style yogurt -- soooooo good! Very high protein, low sugar, absolutely great. Even the nonfat is ridiculously creamy.

A Saucy Wench

I hate the gelatiny texture of most store fruit added yogurts. Is it yogurt or is it jello? Sigh, I have been keeping plain whole milk yogurt around for ds who is still <2years . every once in a while i make him too big a bowl and am forced to eat the extra. ;). damn that is the best. sooooooo good. we have the hood strawberries right now. best strawberries in the world but very delicate. they only last about 2 days after picking...if that. but a pile of them smooshed into a bowl of yogurt. heaven. mta - maybe i should give greek yogurt another try. i bought some fage once and it tasted like very skim milk yogurt to me. very tart. .="" every="" once="" in="" a="" while="" i="" make="" him="" too="" big="" a="" bowl="" and="" am="" forced="" to="" eat="" the="" extra.="" ;).="" damn="" that="" is="" the="" best.="" sooooooo="" good.="" we="" have="" the="" hood="" strawberries="" right="" now.="" best="" strawberries="" in="" the="" world="" but="" very="" delicate.="" they="" only="" last="" about="" 2="" days="" after="" picking...if="" that.="" but="" a="" pile="" of="" them="" smooshed="" into="" a="" bowl="" of="" yogurt.="" heaven.="" mta="" -="" maybe="" i="" should="" give="" greek="" yogurt="" another="" try.="" i="" bought="" some="" fage="" once="" and="" it="" tasted="" like="" very="" skim="" milk="" yogurt="" to="" me.="" very="" tart.=""></2years . every once in a while i make him too big a bowl and am forced to eat the extra. ;). damn that is the best. sooooooo good. we have the hood strawberries right now. best strawberries in the world but very delicate. they only last about 2 days after picking...if that. but a pile of them smooshed into a bowl of yogurt. heaven. mta - maybe i should give greek yogurt another try. i bought some fage once and it tasted like very skim milk yogurt to me. very tart. >

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AnneCA

Ah, see, I like the tart, so probably that's why I like it so much.