Another Vintage Running Photo (Read 997 times)

I want a pair of those cool leather running shoes! Washington, D.C., 1924. "High school track meet, Central Stadium" There are quite a few other similar Central Stadium photographs on the same site under National Photo. Anyone know where Central Stadium is, or if it still exists? Tom

Hoping to Run Again :-(

What a fantastic shot! I did a little searching and Woodrow Wilson Senior High in D.C. used to have a stadium named Central, renamed Wilson Stadium in 1939. Maybe... Thanks for sharing.
      ~ Fly ~
      Only as much as I dream can I be.
      veggies on the run
        cool website !

- Anya

What a fantastic shot! I did a little searching and Woodrow Wilson Senior High in D.C. used to have a stadium named Central, renamed Wilson Stadium in 1939.
          Yeah, I saw that too, only problem is that Woodrow Wilson HS opened in 1936, 12 years after this photo was taken. Unless the original stadium was torn down to make room for the new HS? I also found something about a Central Stadium associated with the White House, no details though. Tom

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Yeah, I saw that too, only problem is that Woodrow Wilson HS opened in 1936, 12 years after this photo was taken. Tom
            Doh! Tongue
            ~ Fly ~
            Only as much as I dream can I be.
            veggies on the run
              Found it! Central High School was built in 1803 and re-named Cardozo High School in 1933. The stadium and building in the background still exist at 13th. and Clifton in Washington D.C. Tom
                cool - can i have a helping of the 3rd guy in, with the jazz hands? he looks like he was a hotty in his day. of course, dude's probably over 80 now so that wouldnt be so hot!
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

cool - can i have a helping of the 3rd guy in, with the jazz hands? he looks like he was a hotty in his day. of course, dude's probably over 80 now so that wouldnt be so hot!
                  If he was about 16 in the photo, he would have been born in 1908, so he'd be 100 today! My grandfather was born in 1911, and he's almost 97. I love that website, ever since someone (Figbash?) posted another running photo. New pictures are posted every day, so I always check them out.
                  BeeRunB

Great photo. The thing that strikes me is how these high schoolers look like MEN. Sort of like the youngsters in WW2, they all looked like MEN
                      Great photo. The thing that strikes me is how these high schoolers look like MEN. Sort of like the youngsters in WW2, they all looked like MEN
                      hmm. I wonder if perhaps it's some clubs, or colleges, racing and maybe it's misnamed as HS? They do look a bit older than HS age. But I'm a terrible judge of age. I think I look young now Wink
                        I have 17 year old and 20 year old boys, both athletic and heavily involved in sports and that's pretty much what they look like. A low body fat percentage and good muscle tone will do that. The difference between now and then is the number of overweight people around so someone in good physical condition tends to stand out. Undecided The black and white photos tend to make people look older as well. Does this look like a typical high school girls class? Tom
                          Agree, Figbash: Must be the BW part.
                            I believe that is a young Cosmo Kramer on the far left of the original picture....
                            Jayr

Anyone else see the image above the guys head on the far right? What's that?
                                Does this look like a typical high school girls class?
                                Yes it does. And the bug-eyed one wants me, but she ain't gettin' any! Big grin

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka